Mark Rutter is an Of Counsel in the Global Hospitality & Leisure practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Century City office.
Mr. Rutter’s practice focuses on a wide variety of real estate-related matters, with an emphasis on the representation of real estate development companies, financial institutions, and investors in all aspects of the acquisition, development, and finance of hotels, resorts, and mixed-use projects, including the negotiation of purchase and sale, management, franchise, licensing and branding agreements, restaurant leases and management agreements, technical service agreements, and executive compensation and consulting agreements. His practice also includes the representation of borrowers in negotiating real estate-related construction and permanent loans.
- Selected as a Super Lawyers Magazine Southern California Rising Star in Real Estate for 2020 through 2022.
Mr. Rutter received his law degree from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law in 2015, where he served as Development Editor of the California Law Review. He graduated cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Vanderbilt University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science. Mr. Rutter is admitted to practice law in California.
- Watermark Lodging Trust in connection with all real estate and hospitality matters, including concerning its US$3.8 billion acquisition by Brookfield.
- The Georgetown Company in its acquisition of a 50% stake in First Hospitality as part of a US$1 billion hotel investment partnership.
- Dubai World in the disposition of its 50% interest in the CityCenter development, comprising the Aria Resort and Casino and Vdara Hotel and Spa, on The Strip in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- The Witkoff Group in the negotiation of a resort integration agreement, hotel management agreement, and related ancillary agreements with Marriott Hotels & Resorts for The Drew Las Vegas, an approximately 4,000-room casino-hotel on The Strip in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- The Blackstone Group L.P. in the disposition of various hospitality assets located throughout the United States.
- Oaktree Capital Management, L.P. and Trinity Investments LLC in the acquisition of the W Hollywood Hotel in Los Angeles, California.
- Angelo, Gordon & Company in the acquisition, disposition management, and licensing of various hospitality assets located throughout the United States.
- A private investor in the financing of its investment in the Sunset Tower Hotel.
- Red Sea Global (an affiliate of the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia) in the negotiation of the management agreement and all ancillary documents for the Six Senses Red Sea.
- Ares Management LLC in the acquisition, development, financing and disposition of multi-family apartment projects located in California and Arizona.