Michael Kennedy is a partner in the Private Equity and Mergers & Acquisitions practices at Paul Hastings, based in the firm’s San Francisco office. Since 1984, he has concentrated on the corporate areas of mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, corporate partnering, joint ventures, and corporate governance, with an emphasis in the technology, emerging growth, healthcare, biotechnology, and media industries.
He has extensive experience in the private equity and leveraged buyout industries as well as decades of experience on transactions in a number of other industries, including automotive, defense, financial services, media, technology, healthcare, and building products. He represents many major investment banks in their advisory roles on M&A deals.
In addition, Mr. Kennedy has significant experience in the debt (bank and high-yield areas) and restructuring areas. He is routinely asked by Boards to advise on hostile transactions, proxy fights, and other governance matters.
Mr. Kennedy frequently lectures at corporate seminars and continuing legal education forums.
- Cited since the late 1990’s in the Chambers and Who’s Who Legal – California guides as a leading lawyer in M&A and technology.
- New York University, J.D., 1984
- Yale University, B.A., 1981
- Represented Francisco Partners in numerous transactions
- Advised Healthland on its US$250 million acquisition by CPSI
- Advised Hyperion Therapeutics in an acquisition by Horizon Pharma
- Advised FrontRange Holding in an acquisition by Endpoint Intermediate
- Advised Ethical Oncology Science in an acquisition by Clovis Oncology
- Represented GXS Group in an acquisition by Open Text Corporation
- Adjunct Professor, Boalt School of Law, University of California at Berkeley in the topic of Mergers & Acquisitions (1997–present)
- Chairman, PLI Technology Mergers and Acquisitions Program (1997–2002)
- Frequent lecturer at corporate seminars (e.g. Board Member magazine) and continuing legal education forums