Raymond Bertrand is Chair of the San Diego Office and San Diego Employment Law Department.
Mr. Bertrand is one of the nation’s premier litigators. A skilled trial attorney with more than 20 defense verdicts, he has represented numerous Fortune 500 companies in their most challenging, high-profile employment cases. Mr. Bertrand is equally adept at helping his clients navigate the court of public opinion, helping protect their interests and reputations by working closely with media and communications professionals.
An innovative, out-of-the-box thinker, and unrelenting advocate, Mr. Bertrand has pioneered several successful strategies to dismantle even the strongest cases. A veteran in the field of complex, wage-and-hour litigation, Mr. Bertrand is the catalyst behind several published decisions concerning issues of first impression that benefitted not only his clients, but also tens of thousands of other employers.
Outside the courtroom, Mr. Bertrand helps his clients design, and minimize the legal risks within, their employment and pay systems; and conduct internal corporate investigations. He frequently speaks and writes on matters of importance to employers and is the editor of Matthew Bender’s California Employers’ Guide to Employee Handbooks and Personnel Policy Manuals.
Before joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Bertrand proudly served for five years in the United States Navy, Judge Advocate General’s Corps.
- Named in The Best Lawyers in America
Engagement & Publications
- Editor-in-Chief of Matthew Bender’s California Employers’ Guide to Employee Handbooks and Personnel Policy Manuals
- Department Of Labor Issues Final Overtime Regulations, Paul Hastings’ Client Alert (May 2016)
- A Critical Review of the U.S. Labor Department Wage and Hour Division Administrator’s Interpretation (No. 2015-1) on Misclassification of Independent Contractors Under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act, Bender’s California Labor & Employment Bulletin (Jan. 2016)
- An Employee By Any Other Name . . . Is Still An Employee. Guidance on California’s Common Law Test for Determining Employee Status, Bender’s California Labor & Employment Bulletin (Jan. 2015)
- Best Practices in Outsourcing Agreements, Bender’s Labor & Employment Bulletin (Feb. 2014)
- Navigating California’s Wage-and-Hour Law Calls for Planning and Precision, Daily Labor Report (Nov. 2014)
- President Obama’s Directive That the Labor Department "Update" and "Modernize" the FLSA Overtime Exemptions: What does it Mean? Bender’s California Labor & Employment Bulletin (Jul. 2014)
- Best Practices in Drafting Independent Contractor Agreements, Bender’s Labor & Employment Bulletin (Aug. 2013)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Board of Governors, San Diego chapter
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Lieutenant, United States Navy, Judge Advocate General’s Corps (1995-2000)
- Member of the California, New York, and Connecticut Bar Associations