Rocio Guadalupe Mendoza is a partner in the Infrastructure and Energy practice based in Houston. She advises on a diverse range of domestic and international energy-related transactions and projects, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and project development.
Ms. Mendoza routinely works with upstream oil and gas as well as midstream clients in transactions involving conventional, unconventional, onshore and offshore resources. She also advises upstream and midstream clients on a variety of commercial issues, including oil and gas leases, surface use agreements, operating agreements, gathering, processing and transportation agreements, and other commercial matters.
Ms. Mendoza also has substantial experience representing downstream refining and petrochemical clients in the purchase and sale of business units, formation and governance of joint ventures, project development, integration and shared site and utility arrangements. She has also advised sponsors in the development, acquisition and divestiture of renewable energy projects.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, Energy Law, 2022
- Rising Stars Awards Americas (Energy and natural resources), 2021
- Texas Lawyer Rising Stars, 2021
- Expert Guides, Rising Stars Awards Americas (Energy and natural resources), 2020
- On the Rise, Texas Legal Awards, 2020
- Texas Rising Star, Texas Monthly, 2020
- Woman to Watch, Houston Business Journal's Women Who Mean Business, 2017
- Houston Club Leader, Latino Leaders Magazine, Winter 2016
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2011
- Stanford University, B.A. 2007
Acquisitions and Divestitures Experience
- Advised Korean oil and gas company in connection with the disposition of U.S. GOM oil and gas assets to private equity-sponsored management team.
- Advised publicly-traded Australian mining and petroleum conglomerate in connection with the potential acquisition of various U.S. GOM oil and gas assets.
- Advised Bahraini Family Office in connection with the sale, through the stock of Irish domiciled SPV, of two offshore rigs in Mexican Gulf of Mexico valued at $140 million.
- Advised an international energy services company on the sale of assets located in the U.S.
- Advised a Mexico-based energy company on its proposed first acquisition of U.S. oil and gas assets.
- Advised various independent exploration and development companies on the sale of oil and gas assets in Oklahoma and Colorado.
- Advised various independent exploration and development companies in multiple transactions involving the sale of oil and gas assets in the Utica, Marcellus, Barnett and Eagle Ford shale plays, frequently combined with entry into an exploration and development agreement for properties.
- Advised multiple U.S. midstream companies on the sale and purchase of natural gas gathering systems and related infrastructure assets.
- Advised U.S. sponsors on the acquisition and divestiture of various renewable solar and wind projects.
Joint Venture and Project Development
- Advised an international manufacturer and marketer of transportation fuels and petrochemical products on its entry into several joint ventures to develop midstream assets in Mexico.
- Advised family office-backed management team in connection with the development and financing of a refinery in Honduras.
- Advised family office-backed management team in connection with the development and financing of a green fuel refinery, storage facility and dock in the Houston ship channel.
- Advised an international refining company on its acquisition of joint venture interests in a refining company.
- Advised a chemical company in a joint venture to design, construct, own and operate a polymer facility in Taiwan.
- Advised a major oil company on the development of a gas to liquids facility in the Gulf Coast.
- Advised U.S. owned local Peruvian LNG company on the development of Camisea gas field in Peru.
- Advised a private equity firm on a drilling participation arrangement in the Eagle Ford.
- Advised an operating power company on a project financing of a wind farm in Honduras.
- Advised U.S. and international sponsors on the development and financing of various renewable solar and wind projects in the U.S. and Central America.
- Advised a midstream company on a wide range of commercial arrangements, including terminal services agreements, master services agreements, reimbursement agreements, confidentiality agreements and other commercial arrangements.
- Advised various U.S. and international petroleum product and chemical suppliers and customers with product purchase and sale agreements in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.
Engagement & Publications
- Co-author, "Could the Parties have Anticipated the Unthinkable? Force Majeure in the Texas Energy Industry After COVID-19," Texas Lawbook, April 2, 2020
- Moderator, "Identifying, Evaluating and Selecting a Strategic Relationship", ACC Houston Marquee Full-Day CLE: Life Cycle of a Deal Entering, Exiting and Litigating your Strategic Relationships, December 2019
- Co-author, "Trump’s America First Energy Plan," Oil & Gas Financial Journal, March 2017
- Speaker, "Ethics for In-House Attorneys," Client Seminar, Houston, Texas, January 2017
- Moderator, "Doing Business in Latin America," panel discussion in Houston, Texas, August 2015
- Speaker, "Oil Regulation Reform in Mexico," panel discussion at Hispanic National Bar Association’s Corporate Counsel Conference, March 2015
- Co-author, "Mitigating Risk in Offshore Exploration and Development Activities," prepared in conjunction with the 66th Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference, February 2015
- Co-author, "One More Milestone In Mexico’s Historical Energy Reform," Client Briefing, August 2014
- Houston Bar Association Membership Committee, 2020-2021
- The Institute for Energy Law (IEL) - Advisory Council, Oil & Gas Section and Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference Planning Committee
- Association for International Petroleum Negotiators
- Women's Energy Network - General Member and Member of the Speaker’s Committee, 2017 National Conference
- State Bar of Texas - Oil, Gas & Energy Resources, International Law Sections and Hispanic Issues Section
- Houston Bar Association - Oil, Gas & Mineral Law and International Law Sections
- KIPP - Alumna, Member of KIPP Houston Public Schools Local Board, 2016-17 KIPP
- Alumni Leadership Accelerator Fellowship
- Hispanic Bar Association of Houston - Member, Board of Directors
- Center for Houston’s Future Business/Civic Leadership Forum - Participant, Fall 2019