Sophie Han is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings. Her practice focuses on cross-border corporate transactions, outbound and inbound investment matters and mergers and acquisitions in China. Ms. Han is also experienced in compliance matters relating to FCPA and China compliance regulations, handling internal investigations, government enforcement actions, and proactive reviews.
Ms. Han received a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) from Shanghai International Studies University in 2007 and a Master of Laws (LL.M.) from Stanford Law School in 2012. She passed the Chinese bar in 2007 but does not hold a current practicing certificate.
- "Next Generation Partner", Legal 500 China’s Corporate M&A: Foreign Firms category, 2022
- "Rising Stars", China Business Law Journal, 2022
- Stanford Law School, LL.M., 2012
- Shanghai International Studies University, LL.B., 2007
- Advised Huayi Brothers, a Chinese multinational entertainment company, on the US$30 million convertible note investment by Tencent, a Chinese internet-based technology and cultural enterprise.
- Advised CDH Genetech Limited, part of the CDH Investments group, in its US$1.4 billion agreement to acquire all the issued shares of Sirtex Medical Limited, an Australian medical device company, through a Scheme of Arrangement.
- Advised COSCO SHIPPING Holdings Co., Ltd., the largest integrated shipping company in China, on its voluntary general cash offer for all of the issued shares of Orient Overseas (International) Limited, made by the wholly-owned subsidiaries of COSCO SHIPPING Holdings and Shanghai International Port (Group) Co., Ltd. for a total value of up to US$6.3 billion pursuant to the Hong Kong Takeovers Code. This complex transaction constitutes a very substantial acquisition of COSCO SHIPPING Holdings under the Hong Kong Listing Rules and involved global legal issues relating to M&A, anti-trust and competition, and CFIUS.
- Advised a leading Chinese international conglomerate in its investment in an artworks collection company with global presence.
- Advised Pineapple Pie Holding (Lizhi FM) in its Series C, C-1 and Series D financing transactions.
- Advised a global investment management corporation in its acquisition of a shopping mall in Chengdu and the related secured loan facilities.
- Advised China Media Capital in its acquisition of an approximate 47% stake in Star China TV, the controller of the producer of the popular music show Voice of China, from 21st Century Fox.
- Advised two Chinese sovereign wealth funds in a variety of asset management and hedge/PE fund transactions.
- Seconded to a Chinese sovereign wealth fund and advised on dozens of hedge/PE fund transactions.
- Advised mandated lead arrangers, underwriters and bookrunners in connection with a secured term loan facility and revolving facility to a vehicle wholly-owned by a Real Estate Investment Trust.
- Advised one of China’s largest private conglomerates in its group restructuring of more than 100 Chinese and offshore companies.
- Advised Morgan Stanley in its acquisition of a 30% equity interest in Motel 168.
- Represented multiple companies in conducting numerous internal investigations regarding their business operations in China involving improper payments, off-label promotion, embezzlement, and books and records violations.
- Represented a joint venture between Jaguar Growth Partners and JHJ Logistics in conducting compliance review on its acquisition of Brilliant Enterprise Management Consulting, a leading warehouse, distribution and logistics property company in China.
- Seconded as corporate counsel and led compliance investigations at a leading global pharmaceutical company’s China office during a period in which the company was under a DOJ/SEC self-reporting obligation.
- Seconded as investigations lead at a China joint venture between two leading pharmaceutical companies.