Associate, Corporate Department
Hong KongPhone: (852) 2867 1251
Alex Chan is an Associate of Paul Hastings. After joining the firm as a trainee solicitor, Mr. Chan was involved in advising clients on a broad range of corporate matters including mergers and acquisitions and finance. He was also involved in advising clients on cross-border dispute resolution matters. Mr. Chan is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and an associate member of the Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Chan worked at two litigation and intellectual property law firms, in Palo Alto, California and Hong Kong, respectively. Mr. Chan received the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws and was awarded a Juris Doctor degree from the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Mr. Chan also obtained a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Economics and Linguistics, from the University of California, Berkeley. Mr. Chan is fluent in English, Cantonese, and Mandarin.
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong, P.C.LL. 2020
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong, J.D. 2019
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A. (Linguistics and Economics) 2016
- Advised a Hong Kong-listed property developer and its subsidiaries in the sale of their interests in a retail-led mixed-use development southwestern China to another Hong Kong-listed property developer for US$800 million.
- Advised a Singapore-listed global real estate investment manager and a Dutch investment management company in their acquisition of a portfolio of companies that own and lease self-storage properties in Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea and Taiwan.
- Advised the manager and the trustee of a real estate investment trust in a series of share transfers in and financial assistance by four Hong Kong entities, and in the secured lending of US$437,000,000 and S$900,000,000 to finance the transfers.
- Advised a Hong Kong- and Shanghai-listed pharmaceutical company on its subscription of new pre-Series A shares of a private medical imaging research and distribution company in Hong Kong.
- Advised issuers, guarantors, managers and arrangers in certain primary and tap issuances and listings of medium term note programs and bonds denominated in various currencies in Hong Kong, Macau and Singapore, tender offers and exchange offers.
- Advised a Shanghai-listed pharmaceutical company in its pre-arbitration negotiations with a minority shareholder of and the winding up proceedings of their joint venture group.
- Advised the director of a Hong Kong subsidiary of a nationwide sportswear retailer in its winding up proceedings in Hong Kong.
- Advised a U.S.- and UK-listed pharmaceutical and biotechnology company on numerous disputes arising out of an asset purchase license agreement and the underlying deliverables.
- Advised a creditor in the winding up proceedings of an investment fund in the Cayman Islands.
- Advised an Indian manufacturer and supplier of carbon black additives in prearbitration negotiations.
- Advised a Hong Kong- and Shanghai-listed pharmaceutical company on its negotiations with the Department of Justice of Hong Kong.
- Advised three charitable associations on pro bono basis in establishing their presence in Hong Kong, applying for tax exemption and applying for removal of the word "Limited" in the company name
- HKIAC as First and Only outside Mainland China: Named by China International Commercial Court on One-Stop Platform for Diversified International Commercial Dispute Resolution - August 29th, 2022
- Looking Back on the Supplemental Arrangement on Mainland-Hong Kong Mutual Enforcement of Arbitral Awards - April 19th, 2022
- Applications for Interim Measures in Mainland China: Advantages of Arbitrating in Hong Kong - August 16th, 2021
- What Remedies Are Available to Life Sciences Companies if Their IP Rights Are Exploited During the Global Pandemic? - July 21st, 2021
Engagement & Publications
- The duties of impartiality, disclosure, and confidentiality: lessons from a London-seated arbitration | Arbitration International | Oxford Academic (oup.com) - July 12th, 2021
- Published in Arbitration International, the Official Journal of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), on 12 July 2021. Citation is Arbitration International, Volume 37, Issue 3, September 2021, Pages 667–684
- Exit from periodic joint-tenancy: what "bare trust", exactly? | Trusts & Trustees | Oxford Academic (oup.com) - November 9th, 2022
- Published in Trusts & Trustees, the official journal of the International Academy of Estate and Trust Law, on 9 November 2022. Citation is Trusts & Trustees, 2022, ttac109