Barry A. Brooks
Partner, Corporate Department
New YorkPhone: 1(212) 318-6077
Barry Brooks is a partner in the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions practice and is based in the New York office. Recognized as a leading lawyer by Legal 500 USA, Barry represents sophisticated public and private companies in the full array of transactional matters, including complex, domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity, emerging growth, corporate finance and joint venture transactions. He also has significant experience advising public companies and their boards and committees in connection with corporate responsibility, fiduciary duty, disclosure, and executive employment matters.
Additionally, Barry represents private equity funds, hedge funds and other private investment funds and institutional investors and private and public operating companies across various industries.
Barry is a member of the State Bars of both New York and California, and is also a member of the American Bar Association. Barry received his A.B. degree, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of California at Los Angeles and his J.D. degree, cum laude, from Harvard Law School.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1981
- University of California Los Angeles, B.A., 1978
- International Media Investments, a private company based in Abu Dhabi, in connection with the formation of a joint venture with RedBird Capital Partners, a private equity firm based in New York, and Jeff Zucker, the former CEO of CNN, focused on acquiring and investing in large scale media, entertainment and sports content properties on a global basis – the joint venture launched with initial committed capital of $1 billion
- Primary Wave Music, a music publisher, in connection with the formation of its strategic partnership with Brookfield Asset Management Inc. whereby Brookfield purchased a significant minority interest in Primary Wave and committed to provide an additional $1.7 billion in capital funding to purchase music rights in a transaction valued in excess of $2 billion. The transaction included an initial acquisition of over $700 million of iconic music rights from the company’s fund 1 and fund 2
- Keter Environmental Services, Inc., a provider of garbage and recycling collection services to commercial properties, in the sale of the company to funds of TPG Capital Group
- Five Iron Golf, an emerging, privately-owned, urban indoor golf and entertainment company, in Callaway Golf Company's $30 million investment in Five Iron Golf
- Coliseum Capital Management, LLC and Medalogix LLC in the acquisition by the Vistria Group of a majority of Medalogix LLC with rollover by strategic investors and management
- REEF Technology Inc. in a $300 million joint infrastructure vehicle formed by REEF and Oaktree Capital Management to acquire strategic real estate assets
- REEF Technology Inc., a parking management and logistics company, in a $700 million growth equity financing led by Mubadala Investment Company’s financial investment arm, Mubadala Capital
- Primary Wave Music, a music publisher, in connection with multiple acquisitions of music publishing catalogs (including The Beatles, Hall & Oates, Nirvana, Earth Wind & Fire, Steven Tyler, Steve Cropper, Bob Marley, Gaither Music Group, Sly and The Family Stone, Whitney Houston, James Brown, The Doors and Prince)
- Represented the management of Volcom, Inc. in connection with the formation of a joint venture with Authentic Brands Group, which purchased the intellectual property of the modern lifestyle brand for men, women, and kids, from Kering S.A.
- Represented Tilray, Inc., a leader in cannabis research, cultivation, processing, and distribution, in connection with the formation by Tilray and Authentic Brands Group of a long-term revenue sharing agreement to market and distribute a portfolio of consumer cannabis products within ABG’s brand portfolio.
- Represented Tilray, Inc. in connection with the formation of a joint venture with AB InBev to research non-alcohol beverages containing tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD).
- Represented Indiana Packers Corporation in connection with its acquisition of Specialty Foods Group, a manufacturer of meat products
- Advised Primary Wave Music Publishing LLC, a top 10 independent music publishing company, in connection with multiple acquisitions of music publishing catalogs (including Bob Marley, Paul Anka, Gaither Music Group, Sly and the Family Stone, Def Leppard, John Lennon, Hall & Oates, Nirvana, Earth Wind & Fire, Steven Tyler, and Steve Cropper).
- Represented Cortec Group, a private equity firm, in connection with its purchase of CVR Management, LLC, a physician practice management company which manages clinics providing medical treatment for chronic venous insufficiency issues.
- Represented The Providence Service Corporation, a publicly traded company, in connection with its acquisition of CCHN Group Holdings, Inc. ("Matrix"), a portfolio company of an affiliate of Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe, for an aggregate purchase price of US$400 million. The Providence Service Corporation is a leader in the management and provision of human social services, innovative global employment services, and non-emergency transportation through a variety of government-sponsored programs. Matrix is a provider of in-home health assessment and case management services.
- Represented The Providence Service Corporation in connection to its sale of Providence Human Services, LLC (PHS) and Providence Community Services, LLC (“PCS”), to Molina Healthcare, Inc. PSC and PHS provide behavioral and mental health services.
- Represented TierPoint, LLC, a leading national provider of information technology and data center services, including colocation, cloud computing, and managed IT services, in multiple acquisitions of data center operating companies located in fifteen states, including in respect of its acquisition of Xand from affiliates of ABRY Partners, CoSentry from TA Associates, and Windstream Hosted Solutions Associates from Windstream.
- Represented Rural/Metro Corporation, a leading ambulance and private fire protection services company, in its US$670 million acquisition by global private equity firm Warburg Pincus.
- Represented Marubeni Corporation in connection with the sale of Long Island Automotive Group.
- Represented Marubeni Corporation in connection with its purchase of XL Parts, LLC.
- Represented Cequel Communications Holdings, LLC in connection with the $6.6 billion sale of Suddenlink Communications, a top 10 multiple cable systems operator, to BC Partners, the Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board, and members of Suddenlink’s management team.
- Represented Cequel III in connection with the sale of Suddenlink Communications, a top 10 multiple cable systems operator, to Altice for US$9.1 billion.
- Paul Hastings Advises International Media Investments in JV with Jeff Zucker and RedBird Capital Partners - December 13th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Advises Primary Wave in a $2 Billion Partnership with Brookfield Asset Management - October 11th, 2022
- Air France Industries KLM Engineering & Maintenance Forms xCelle Americas, a Joint Venture with Triumph Group - December 8th, 2021
- Sendinblue Acquires Metrilo, Chatra and PushOwl - September 22nd, 2021
- Subversive Capital Acquisition Corp., Announces Transactions with Shawn “JAY-Z” Carter, Roc Nation, Caliva and Left Coast Ventures - November 25th, 2020
- REEF Raises $1 Billion to Build Proximity Platform to Support the On-Demand Economy - November 4th, 2020
- Volcom Management Launches Multi-National Operating Company in Partnership with Authentic Brands Group - April 3rd, 2019
- Tilray and AB InBev Launch Canadian Research Partnership - December 20th, 2018
- Indiana Packers to Acquire Specialty Foods Group - August 27th, 2018
- Legendary Golfer Greg Norman Partners with Authentic Brands Group - March 21st, 2017
- Leading US Fund Administration Business FLSV Fund Administration Services Agrees Sale to LSE-listed Sanne Group - October 3rd, 2016
- Paul Hastings Adds M&A/Technology Transactions Partner in New York - March 2nd, 2015
- Paul Hastings Advises TierPoint in Acquisition of Xand - October 27th, 2014
- Paul Hastings Represents The Providence Service Corporation in Purchase of Matrix - September 18th, 2014
- Paul Hastings Represents TierPoint in its Acquisition by Management, Investor Group - June 11th, 2014
- Paul Hastings Continues Building Leveraged Finance Strength with Addition of High-Profile Finance Partner in New York - March 11th, 2014
- Paul Hastings Advises Samsung Display on US$1.9 Billion Sale of its Joint Venture Stake and its Strategic Investment in Corning Incorporated - October 29th, 2013
- Paul Hastings Represents Primary Wave Music in a Strategic Alliance with BMG Rights Management - September 3rd, 2013
- Paul Hastings Advises Cequel Data Centers in Acquisition of Baltimore Technology Park - June 27th, 2013
- Paul Hastings Extensive Practice Strength Highlighted in The Legal 500 United States 2013 - June 5th, 2013
- FTC Proposed Ban on Non-Competes Includes M&A Exception Comparable to California Law - January 19th, 2023
- PH COVID-19 Client Alert Series: Availability of SBA Care Act Loans to Venture- and Private Equity-Backed Businesses - March 28th, 2020
- Plx Likely Stands On Its Own, But Has Room To Grow - November 26th, 2019
- Recent SEC Enforcement Action Merits a Second Look by Private Equity Firms and Fundless Sponsors at Broker-Dealer Registration - June 20th, 2016
- Pay Versus Performance: SEC Proposal Will Keep Executive Compensation Hot - May 7th, 2015
- The SEC’s Proposed Disclosure Rules for Hedging Transactions by Directors, Officers, and Employees - March 2nd, 2015
- Delaware Court of Chancery Reaffirms Default Fiduciary Duties in the Limited Liability Company Context Absent Contractual Modifications - February 9th, 2012
- Mergers and Acquisitions Forecast 2012 - January 9th, 2012
- Commercial Aftershocks of the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake: Force Majeure and Related Issues - May 12th, 2011
- Lyondell Chemical Co. v. Ryan: Yes, You Can (Purchase or Sell a Delaware Company with a Preemptive Bid to a Disinterested Board) - April 28th, 2009