Chad J. Peterman
Partner, Litigation Department
New YorkPhone: 1(212) 318-6797
Chad Peterman is a partner in the Intellectual Property practice at Paul Hastings and based in the firm’s New York office. Mr. Peterman is a skilled trial attorney with a practice that focuses on patent and antitrust litigation with an emphasis on the electrical engineering and pharmaceutical arts. He has been involved in all phases of litigation from pre-suit investigation/strategy through appeal. Mr. Peterman has represented major software, telecommunications, semiconductor, and medical equipment companies in patent litigations. He has also represented major pharmaceutical companies in complex ANDA litigations, antitrust litigations, arbitrations, and mediations. In addition to litigation, Mr. Peterman also represents companies in intellectual property transactional matters, including rendering patent opinions and negotiating a variety of intellectual property agreements.
- Recognized by IAM 1000 (2021).
- Recognized by Legal 500 (2021).
- Listed in Managing Intellectual Property magazine’s "IP Stars" for New York and among its "Life Sciences Stars" in North America.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1999
- Princeton University, B.S.E., 1995
- Representing major pharmaceutical company in an ANDA patent litigation concerning an anti-obesity drug.
- Representing major pharmaceutical company in an ANDA patent litigation concerning a gastrointestinal drug.
- Successfully represented a major medical device company in patent litigation relating to sutures and joint replacement.
- Secured judgment for major pharmaceutical company in an ANDA patent litigation involving proton pump inhibitors following bench trial on patent validity and inequitable conduct.
- Successfully defended a nationwide leader in medical diagnostic testing services in patent litigation involving automated medical expert systems.
- Successfully represented a major pharmaceutical company in a series of ANDA patent litigations involving cholesterol drugs.
- Obtained judgment of non-infringement in favor of multinational software company in a multipatent case relating to communication encryption technology. The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit affirmed the decision.
- Successfully represented major elevator manufacturer in patent litigation relating to "smart" elevator technology.
- Obtained summary judgment of patent invalidity in favor of one of the world’s largest software companies in patent litigation relating to speech recognition and database search technologies.
- Successfully represented a wireless network solutions company in patent litigation relating to geo-location technologies.
- Obtained favorable settlements for one of the world’s largest electrical engineering and electronics companies in patent litigations involving digital imaging equipment and techniques, data compression, and resource scheduling technologies.
- Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement in favor of one of the world’s largest software companies in patent litigation involving personal computers. The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit affirmed decision.
- Successfully defended a major pharmaceutical company in coordinated antitrust cases arising out of ANDA patent litigation.
- Routinely provides strategic intellectual property counseling.
- Negotiated and drafted joint venture and intellectual property license agreement on behalf of major fiberoptic company relating to equipment development.
- Negotiated and drafted broadcasting rights agreement on behalf of a regional cable television network to license professional sports games to local television stations.
- Performed intellectual property audits to identify patentable inventions for a major finance company.
- 2022 IAM Patent 1000 Ranks More Than 20 Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Lawyers Across Seven Jurisdictions - July 6th, 2022
- Managing IP Magazine Illuminates Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Practice with 16 Lawyers Recognized as ‘IP Star’ - June 15th, 2022
- Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Practice Continues Year of Remarkable Rankings with New IAM 1000 Accolades and Additional IP Stars Recognitions - July 2nd, 2021
- Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Practice Glows with Numerous Lawyers Ranked as 2021 ‘IP Stars' by Managing IP Magazine - June 8th, 2021
- Snap Inc. Scores Patent Win Against BlackBerry - December 16th, 2020
- Benchmark Litigation Distinguishes Paul Hastings’ IP Practice with Top-Tier National Ranking - October 14th, 2020
- On the Heels of an IP Practice Group of the Year Award, Paul Hastings’ IP Attorneys Earn Top Rankings by LMG Life Sciences - October 1st, 2020
- Recognition of Paul Hastings’ Top IP Litigation Practice Continues with Managing IP’s Firm Rankings - June 26th, 2020
- Paul Hastings’ IP Litigation Practice Recognized as an IP Powerhouse with 25 Rankings by IAM Patent 1000 and Legal 500 US - June 12th, 2020
- Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Practice Shines Bright with 13 Star Litigators in Managing IP’s Ranking of IP Stars - May 3rd, 2020
- Paul Hastings Scores Top Rankings in 2019 LMG Life Sciences - October 10th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Nominated for Four LMG Life Sciences Awards - July 26th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Recognized in 2019 Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars - June 24th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Recognized in 2019 IAM Patent 1000 as One of the Most Sophisticated Patent Litigation Practices - June 7th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Wins Top Honors at 2019 Managing IP Americas Awards - April 8th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Scores Top Rankings in LMG Life Sciences for 2018 - October 11th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Wins Hatch-Waxman Litigation Firm of the Year at LMG Life Sciences Awards - September 13th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Recognized in 2018 Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars - June 18th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Wins Law360 Life Sciences Practice Group of the Year - February 5th, 2018
- IP Boom Continues at Paul Hastings with Life Sciences and Technology Partner Addition - July 18th, 2016
- 16 Paul Hastings Partners Recognized in Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Litigators in America - October 11th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Recognized as US Post-Grant and Japan Foreign Patent Firm of the Year by IAM - September 27th, 2022
- 20 Paul Hastings Lawyers Ranked in 2022 IAM Patent 1000 - July 6th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Lawyers Recognized as 'IP Stars' by Managing IP - June 15th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Intellectual Property Practice Recognized by IAM 1000 2021 - July 2nd, 2021
- 2021 Legal 500 United States Guide Ranks More Than Fifteen Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Practice Lawyers - June 17th, 2021
- Ranked Among Managing IP's 2021 IP Stars - June 10th, 2021
- Recognized as LMG Life Sciences Stars for 2020 - October 1st, 2020
- Recognized in the IAM Patent 1000 - June 11th, 2020
- Ranked among Managing IP's 2020 IP Stars - May 1st, 2020
- Recognized as LMG Life Sciences Stars for 2019 - September 30th, 2019
- Recognized by IAM Patent 1000 for 2019 - June 7th, 2019
- Recognized by Managing IP as the Life Sciences IP Litigation Firm of the Year - April 5th, 2019
- Recognized as LMG Life Sciences Stars for 2018 - October 12th, 2018
- Recognized as the Hatch-Waxman Litigation Firm of the Year by LMG Life Sciences - September 13th, 2018
- Recognized as LMG Life Sciences Stars for 2017 - October 6th, 2017
- Takeaways from Federal Circuit’s Decision in UCB v. Accord on Obviousness of Chemical Compounds - June 4th, 2018
- Life Sciences & Antitrust: Cases to Watch in 2018 - January 17th, 2018
- Five Takeaways from Combination Drug Treatment and Dissolution Range Patent Rulings in Orexigen v. Actavis - October 17th, 2017
- Reading the Tea Leaves from the TC Heartland LLC v. Kraft Food Group Brands LLC Oral Argument - March 30th, 2017
- Beyond Pay-for-Delay: Three Pharma Antitrust Cases To Watch In 2017 - February 16th, 2017
Engagement & Publications
- Panelist, "Perspectives from In-House Counsel: Insights and Best Practices to Effectively Manage ITC Actions," American Conference Institute’s 13th Annual Practitioners’ Think-Tank on ITC Litigation & Enforcement (2021)
- Panelist, "New Developments Impacting Professional Responsibility in the Biologic Arena," American Conference Institute’s 12th Summit on Biosimilars & Innovator Biologics (2021)
- Panelist, "The Limits of Zealous Representation: Exceptional Case, Patent Misuse, and Antitrust," NJIPLA 2021 Annual Patent Litigation Webinar Series (2021)
- Panelist, "The Economics of Biosimilars: Considerations for Market Access, Sustainable Pricing and Reimbursement Policies," American Conference Institute’s 11th Summit on Biosimilars & Innovator Biologic (2020)
- Panelist, Recent Developments, Trends, and Statistics in Biologics, ANDA (Hatch-Waxman) and Medical Device Litigation in the U.S. (2018)
- Panelist, "Biologics and Biosimilars: The Front Lines," Federal Circuit Bench & Bar® Conference (2018)
- Panelist, "And They’re Off: The Start of the Paragraph IV Law Suit - Pleadings and Other Initial Considerations and Analyses," 6th Annual ACI Paragraph IV Disputes Conference (2012)
- Co-Author, "IP Audits: Making the Most of Your Intellectual Property," Intellectual Property Today (May 2011)