David N. Shine's practice focuses on public and private company mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, and joint venture transactions. He has substantial experience in the healthcare, aerospace and defense, energy, telecom, and financial services industries. Representative clients have included Merck & Co., Inc., Medco Health Solutions, Inc., Northrop Grumman Corporation, GE Capital, and Vodafone Group plc.
Mr. Shine’s practice has included representations in high profile transactions such as Merck’s US$41 billion acquisition of Schering-Plough, its US$14.2 billion sale of its consumer care business (which included the Claritin, Coppertone and Dr. Scholls brands) and Northrop Grumman’s hostile acquisition of Newport News Shipbuilding, Inc. He has also represented prominent privately held companies in sale transactions including Tishman Construction, Dean & DeLuca, and Scaled Composites (the builder of Virgin Galactic’s "Spaceship One" space tourism vehicle).
- "Dealmaker of the Year" in 2015 by The American Lawyer
- "Life Sciences MVP" in 2014 by Law 360.
- "Deal Maker of the Year" in 2014 by Finance Monthly.
- "Leading Lawyer, Corporate/M&A" in each of 2010-2018 by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
- "Dealmaker of the Week" in 2009 by The American Lawyer.
- "Legal 500-Mega-Deals" in each of 2008-2016 by The Legal 500 Guide.
Writing and Publications
- Mr. Shine has authored or co-authored over 50 articles on topics including appraisal litigation, material adverse change clauses, antitrust and financing reverse termination fees, private company M&A case law updates and hostile takeover strategies.
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1986 (Editor, Law Review)
- Columbia University, B.A., 1982 (Philosophy, English)
- Paul Hastings Ranked as Top Three Firm for New Rankings and Recognized for Numerous Practice Strength and Growth in Chambers USA 2021 - May 21st, 2021
- Merck Announces Agreement to Acquire Alydia Health Before Spinoff of Organon - March 30th, 2021
- Merck and Amathus Therapeutics Create Strategic Collaboration to Develop Treatments for Neurodegenerative Diseases - March 17th, 2021
- Merck Animal Health to Acquire U.S. Rights to SENTINEL® Brand of Combination Parasiticides for Companion Animals - May 13th, 2020
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2020 - May 1st, 2020
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2019 - May 1st, 2019
- Canopy Growth to Acquire Assets of ebbu - October 15th, 2018
- CDH Investments to Acquire Sirtex for US$1.4 Billion - June 14th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2018 - May 11th, 2018
- MSD to Acquire Therapeutics Pioneer Rigontec - September 7th, 2017
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2017 - June 5th, 2017
- Elanco Animal Health Acquires Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica’s U.S. Feline, Canine and Rabies Vaccines Portfolio - January 3rd, 2017
- Paul Hastings Scores Top Rankings in LMG Life Sciences for 2016 - November 30th, 2016
- Elanco US Enters into Agreement to Acquire Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica’s U.S. Feline, Canine and Rabies Vaccine Portfolio for $885 Million - October 5th, 2016
- Merck to Acquire Afferent Pharmaceuticals - June 9th, 2016
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2016 - June 8th, 2016
- Fujian Grand Chip Investment Fund Acquires Germany’s Aixtron for €670 Million - May 25th, 2016
- Merck and Quartet Enter Into Strategic Agreement - January 6th, 2016
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2015 - May 20th, 2015
- Paul Hastings Adds Prominent M&A and Private Equity Duo in Hong Kong - April 22nd, 2015
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2021 - May 21st, 2021
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2020 - May 1st, 2020
- Ranked by Chambers USA 2019 - April 26th, 2019
- Recognized by Chambers Global 2019 - February 14th, 2019
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2018 - May 15th, 2018
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2017 - June 5th, 2017
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2016 - June 8th, 2016
- Delaware Court Finds “Material Adverse Change” Permitted Merger Termination - October 3rd, 2018
- The Full Dell: Court Holds Appraisal Value = Deal Price Less Synergies - August 2nd, 2018
- Perils of Imprecise M&A Disclosure: Court Scrutiny Results in Loss of Business Judgment Protection - July 11th, 2018
- Delaware Court Holds that Takeover Structure Eliminates Appraisal Rights: Is the Past Prologue? - June 14th, 2018
- The Use of “Ticking Fees” in M&A Transactions - April 30th, 2018
- The Return of Stock as Currency in Acquisition Transactions - March 26th, 2018
- Appraisal Unpredictability: Delaware Court Awards 31% Less Than Deal Price - February 22nd, 2018
- Revisiting the CVR: The Litigation Crucible - November 15th, 2016
- Delaware Legislature Acts to Limit Appraisal Rights - June 15th, 2016
- Spotlight on CFIUS: Current Challenges for China Outbound M&A - June 13th, 2016
- Post-Closing Fraud Claims in the Acquisition Context: Protecting the Seller - February 19th, 2016
- Solving The Valuation Puzzle in Life Sciences Transactions: The Pros and Cons of the CVR - January 26th, 2016
- Antitrust Termination Fees: Rational or Emotional? - September 10th, 2015
- Private Company M&A: The Recent Delaware Case Trifecta - May 11th, 2015
- The Calculus of Going Hostile: Recent Lessons from the Field - April 16th, 2015
- The Short, Unhappy Life of the Recent Appraisal Trend - March 27th, 2015
- Advisor, Blue Meridian, Inc., a leading philanthropy aggregator that funds evidence-based programs for at-risk youth.
- Advisor, BELL Inc., a leading provider of K-12 summer learning programs.
- Legal Counsel, Transcend, Inc., a K-12 education nonprofit that is designing innovative new school models across the country.
- Legal Counsel, New Classrooms, Inc., a K-12 education nonprofit that brings personalized learning to over 30,000 students nationwide.