Derek V. Roth
Partner, Real Estate Department
Century CityPhone: 1(310) 620-5743
Fax: 1(310) 620-5843
Derek Roth is a partner in the Real Estate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Century City office.
Mr. Roth is also a member of the Hospitality & Leisure practice group, representing institutional real estate investors and real estate companies in joint ventures, finance transactions, acquisitions and dispositions, fund formation and operational issues. Having spent four years in Paul Hastings’ Hong Kong office, Mr. Roth also has extensive experience representing clients in cross-border transactions between the United States and Asia.
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1996
- University of Pennsylvania, B.S., 1993
- Carey Watermark Investors, Inc. and Carey Watermark Investors 2, Inc., non-traded real estate investment trusts, in acquisitions of or investments in, and/or financings for, Bacara Resort & Spa (The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara), Charlotte Marriott City Center, Ritz-Carlton San Francisco, Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, San Diego Marriott La Jolla, Le Méridien Arlington, Seattle Marriott Bellevue, San Jose Marriott, Le Méridien Dallas (The Stoneleigh), Hawks Cay Resort, The Equinox, Hutton Hotel, Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, Westin Pasadena, Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne and Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia.
- A leading private equity fund in the acquisition of a portfolio of 50 hotels as well as acquisitions of over 45 additional hotels in individual transactions or smaller portfolios.
- A private investor in the financing of its investment in the Sunset Tower Hotel.
- A leading private equity fund in the acquisition of an ownership stake in a boutique hotel brand.
- Several private equity funds in hotel acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures and financings, including transactions involving the Oakland Marriott City Center, the Riviera Palm Springs, the Sheraton Memphis, the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch, YOTEL San Francisco, the Surfjack Hotel & Swim Club, The Mayflower Hotel, various Club Quarters Hotels, the Adams Mark portfolio and the Sir Francis Drake Hotel.
- Gemini Investments (Holdings) Limited, in a joint venture with Rosemont Realty, to acquire and manage institutional-quality commercial office properties.
- Tan-Eu Capital, as co-sponsor in the closing of the US$400 million Sotan China Real Estate I, LP, a real estate private equity vehicle comprised of a club of prestigious European institutional investors.
- Shui On Land, in connection with a restructuring of a portfolio consisting of US$1 Billion of real estate. The transaction was nominated for IFLR’s restructuring deal of the year.
- Mapletree Investments Pte Ltd, a leading real estate development, investment and capital management company based in Singapore, in its US$2.4 billion acquisition of Festival Walk, a shopping and commercial complex in Hong Kong, from Swire Properties. This transaction was the biggest-ever property acquisition in Hong Kong and was the third largest property acquisition in Asia Pacific in 2011.
- Funds managed by Oaktree Capital Management L.P. in their first acquisition of distressed real estate loans from the FDIC's pilot Small Investor Program (SIP). The loan portfolio included 116 loans worth approximately US$158 million that the FDIC acquired from FirsTier Bank upon the bank's failure in January 2011.
- Funds managed by Oaktree Capital Management L.P. on their winning bid for a US$1.7 billion portfolio of distressed real estate loans and properties auctioned by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). The portfolio includes approximately 200 loans, secured by properties located in several states throughout the U.S., and approximately 80 properties also located in several states throughout the U.S. The loans were originated by Ohio-based Am Trust Bank.
- Dubai World in its agreement to invest US$5 billion in MGM Mirage Inc. and the large CityCenter development project currently underway on the Las Vegas strip. This was one of the largest privately-funded real estate development deals in history.
- North America Sekisui House, LLC, the wholly-owned subsidiary of Sekisui House, Ltd., in its purchase of the interests of the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and American Newland Communities LP, through its new joint venture with Newland Real Estate Group LLC.& The transaction was an acquisition of the largest operating portfolio of residential master-planned communities in the U.S.
- Watermark Lodging Trust To be Acquired by Brookfield Real Estate Funds for $3.8 Billion - May 6th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Named ‘Real Estate Group of the Year’ by Law360 - December 23rd, 2020
- Trinity Investments and Elliott Acquire Grande Lakes Orlando Resort - December 7th, 2018
- Carey Watermark Investors & Carey Watermark Investors 2 Acquire Bacara Resort & Spa - October 2nd, 2017
- Carey Watermark Investors 2 Acquires Charlotte Marriott City Center - June 5th, 2017
- Carey Watermark Investors 2 Acquires Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco - January 5th, 2017
- Paul Hastings Represents Carey Watermark Investors 2 in its Acquisition of the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel - August 31st, 2016
- Carey Watermark Investors 2 Acquires San Diego Marriott La Jolla - July 25th, 2016
- Paul Hastings Represents Mapletree Investments in Multi-Billion Dollar Serviced Apartment Deal - May 2nd, 2014
- Paul Hastings Advised Shui On Land in Asset Swap Agreement with Trophy Property Development - October 4th, 2013
- Paul Hastings Represents Ayala Corporation on Acquisition of Strategic Stake in 600 MW Philippine Power Plant - December 20th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Represents 365 Main in Equinix Data Centers Acquisition - November 2nd, 2012
- Paul Hastings Advises Tan-Eu Capital on Sotan China Real Estate I, LPs First Investment - May 4th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Advises Sekisui House on U.S. Acquisition - January 18th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Secures Multiple Wins at China Law & Practice Awards 2011 - September 23rd, 2011
- Paul Hastings Advises Oaktree Capital Management Funds on Purchase of FDIC CADC/RADC Loans - September 6th, 2011
- Paul Hastings Advises Mapletree on US$2.4 Billion Acquisition - August 18th, 2011
- Paul Hastings Advises Oaktree Capital Management On Purchase Of FDIC SIP Loans - August 5th, 2011
- Paul Hastings Advises Lenders on Leveraged Buy-Out of Carlyle-Owned Company - April 1st, 2011
- Paul Hastings Advises Tan-Eu Capital in Closing of US$400 Million Real Estate Private Equity Vehicle - March 25th, 2011
- COVID-19 Paul Hastings LLP Hospitality & Leisure Client Alert - March 16th, 2020
- Recent SEC Enforcement Action Merits a Second Look by Private Equity Firms and Fundless Sponsors at Broker-Dealer Registration - June 20th, 2016
- China Matters: New Rules Reiterate Existing Restrictions on the Acquisition of Real Estate in China - November 17th, 2010
- Admitted to the State Bar of California