Ananda Martin is a partner in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Shanghai office. Her practice focuses on compliance with and disputes relating to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”), Chinese and other international anti-corruption laws as well as Asia-based general litigation and arbitration matters.
Ms. Martin counsels clients on compliance program design and implementation, due diligence in acquisitions and joint ventures, and internal investigations throughout Asia, with a specific focus on China. She regularly advises corporations operating in the healthcare, technology, financial services, real estate, construction, manufacturing and media industries. Her clients include both multinational and Chinese companies.
In addition to her Asia-based disputes practice, Ms. Martin has also practiced litigation in New York, where she worked on a variety of complex commercial litigation matters and internal investigations involving Fortune 100 corporations.
Speaking Engagements and Publications
Ms. Martin writes and speaks regularly on developments in PRC and international anti-corruption law.
Recent speaking engagements include the following:
- “Compliance Challenges for Japan Inc. in China and Beyond,” Japan Institute for Overseas Investment, Tokyo, Japan (October 15, 2015)
- “Mitigating Corruption When Operating in China,” FCPA Report, Washington, D.C. (September 30, 2015)
- “Conducting an Internal Investigation that Starts in the PRC, but has Potential FCPA Implications,” Law Seminars International Conference, Seattle, Washington (August 15, 2014)
- “Coping with Increasingly Complex Bribery Investigations: The Role of HR in Responding to Allegations of Employee Misconduct,” 2nd In-House Counsel and HR Executive Advanced Summit on China Employment & Labor Management, Shanghai (April 22, 2014)
- “Anti-Corruption Enforcement in China: Global Trends and Local Implications” Advanced Leadership Initiative, Harvard Shanghai Center (June 11, 2013)
- “Identifying and Managing Corruption Risk in an Extended Sales Force,” Shanghai Business Review Conference (March 19, 2013)
- “The Other Side of the Table: Representing Chinese Parties with Respect to FCPA Issues,” Shanghai AmCham Legal Committee Meeting (March 18, 2013)