Fabio Cozzi is a senior associate in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the Milan office. His practice focuses on court litigation, domestic and international arbitration, and international trade matters.
Over the years, Mr. Cozzi has assisted leading Italian and multinational companies in and out of court, in connection with ordinary and urgent proceedings, as well as in domestic and international arbitration cases (both institutional and ad hoc) thus developing substantial experience in managing multi-jurisdictional disputes. In particular, he covered a broad range of matters, involving, inter alia, insider trading sanctions, share purchase agreements, contracts of works, energy supply agreements, financing agreements, product liability, and, as regards corporate matters, management and coordination issues in groups of companies, challenges to shareholders’ meeting resolutions, and directors’ liability.
Mr. Cozzi regularly advises clients on global trade issues, including trade controls and financial sanctions.
In 2015, Mr. Cozzi was seconded for a year to the Paul Hastings office in Washington D.C., where he dealt with international commercial arbitration and investor-state arbitration, with a particular focus on the energy sector, the international protection of investments, and political risk insurance.
He is fluent in English, in addition to his native Italian.
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- “Italy Admits Punitive Damages”, Lexology, July 18, 2017
- “Italy Converts into Law an Emergency Decree Aimed at Rescuing Troubled Banks”, Lexology, March 28, 2017
- “Ex Parte European Bank Account Freezing Order Now Available in EU Member States: What Banks and Their Clients Should Know”, Lexology, January 18, 2017
- “Italy Issues Decree Aimed at Rescuing Troubled Banks”, Lexology, January 10, 2017
- “Virtual International Arbitration: The Fast Development of Technology and Its Impact on Arbitration Proceedings”, New York Dispute Resolution Lawyer, Vol. 9, no. 2, Summer 2016
- “Mala gestio dell’amministratore domiciliato all’estero: la Corte di Giustizia UE scioglie i dubbi sulla giurisdizione” [Bad management by a director domiciled abroad: the EU Court of Justice solves doubts on jurisdiction] Diritto 24, Il Sole 24 Ore, December 14, 2015
- “Commercio globale e tutela degli investimenti: nel TPP novità per l’arbitrato internazionale” [Global commerce and investment protection: news on international arbitration in TPP] Diritto 24, Il Sole 24 Ore, November 2, 2015
- “L’arbitrato internazionale virtuale tra realtà e futuro (prossimo)” [International virtual arbitration between reality and (near) future] Diritto 24, Il Sole 24 Ore, November 4, 2015
- “L’arbitrato internazionale virtuale è una grande sfida e una notevole opportunità” [International virtual arbitration is a great challenge and a considerable opportunity] (co-authored with Francesca Petronio), Milano Finanza, October 30, 2015
- “B2B On-Line Transactions: European Court of Justice Rules on Click-Wrapping”, Paul Hastings Client Alert, June 10, 2015
- “Italy’s withdrawal from the energy charter treaty: which consequences for foreign investors?”, Paul Hastings Client Alert, April 28, 2015 (published on Law360)
- “New Rules on jurisdiction in and enforcement of foreign judgments in the EU to streamline the enforcement of Court decisions and prevent dilatory tactics”, Paul Hastings Client Alert, January 29, 2015
- “Impugnazione della delibera di approvazione del bilancio: per la Corte di Cassazione non è arbitrabile” [The Shareholders’ meeting resolution approving the financial statements: according to the Court of Cassation the decision is not arbitrable] Diritto 24, Il Sole 24 Ore, October 27, 2014
- “Operazioni irregolari degli amministratori e responsabilità dei sindaci per omessa vigilanza” [“Director’s unlawful activities and auditors’ liability for lack of control”] Diritto 24, Il Sole 24 Ore, July 3, 2014
- “New criteria of venue for disputes involving foreign companies operating in Italy”, Paul Hastings Client Alert, May 5, 2014
- “The Latest Reform of Italian Appeal Proceedings in Recent Case Law: A Step Towards Faster Civil Proceedings Involving a Higher Standard of Defense”, Paul Hastings Client Alert, June 19, 2013
- Columbia University, New York, and Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Advanced course on International Commercial Arbitration, 2015
- Master in Corporate Law, Milan, 2014
- Ph.D. in Constitutional Law from the University of Milan – Bicocca in 2008
- University of Milan – Bicocca, J.D. (magna cum laude) in 2004