Michael Vargas is an associate in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm's New York office. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, joint ventures, and intellectual property licenses, with a particular emphasis on companies for whom technology or intellectual property is a key asset.
Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Vargas was at a multinational firm where his practice focused on corporate and financial transactions.
He received a B.A. in Philosophy and a B.A. in Political Science from the University of Florida (cum laude). Mr. Vargas received a J.D. from Duke University School of Law. He is fluent in Spanish and proficient in French. Mr. Vargas is admitted to practice law in New York.
- Represented General Electric Company in the sale of its rail signaling business to France-based rail transport systems operator, Alstom.
- Represented Sony Corporation in connection with an M&A and IP licensing transaction.
- Represented Merck & Co. in connection with various M&A transactions, including its acquisition of Afferent Pharmaceuticals.
- Represented Deerfield Management Company in connection with various investments.
- Represented HIG Capital in connection with its acquisition of Salary.com from IBM.
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- When Minority Stockholders Take Control: Recent Delaware Cases Shine a Light on Fiduciary Obligations of Controlling Shareholders, Law360, July 2016