Michael Vargas is an associate in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm's Los Angeles office. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, joint ventures, and intellectual property licenses, with a particular emphasis on companies for whom technology or intellectual property is a key asset.
Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Vargas was at a multinational firm where his practice focused on corporate and financial transactions.
He received a B.A. in Philosophy and a B.A. in Political Science from the University of Florida (cum laude). Mr. Vargas received a J.D. from Duke University School of Law. He is fluent in Spanish and proficient in French.
Mr. Vargas is admitted in New York only.
- Represented General Electric Company in the sale of its rail signaling business to France-based rail transport systems operator, Alstom.
- Represented Sony Corporation in connection with an M&A and IP licensing transaction.
- Represented Merck & Co. in connection with various M&A transactions, including its acquisition of Afferent Pharmaceuticals.
- Represented Deerfield Management Company in connection with various investments, collaborations and joint venture formations.
- Represented HIG Capital in connection with its acquisition of Salary.com from IBM.
- Represented Bay City Capital, Deerfield Management and Takeda Pharmaceutical Company in connection with the formation of Bridge Medicines, a drug discovery company launched in partnership with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, The Rockefeller University and Weill Cornell Medicine.
- Represented Elanco U.S., Inc., a subsidiary of Eli Lilly and Company, in its acquisition of Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica’s U.S. feline, canine and rabies vaccines portfolio
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Making the Grade: Negotiating IP Licenses with Academic Institutions, Lexology, November 2016
- When Minority Stockholders Take Control: Recent Delaware Cases Shine a Light on Fiduciary Obligations of Controlling Shareholders, Law360, July 2016