Roberta Bassegio is a partner in the Energy and Project Finance practices of Paul Hastings and is chair of the firm’s São Paulo office. She practices in the areas of project development and finance, focusing on infrastructure and natural resources. She has represented sponsors, investors, financial institutions, construction conglomerates, and suppliers in some of the most prominent infrastructure projects in Brazil. Her experience also encompasses project structuring, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory and corporate advice, as well as construction and equipment supply agreements. Ms. Bassegio has substantial experience in the power industry, including renewables, in both traditional and greenfield projects.
Among other projects, Ms. Bassegio has assisted high-profile clients in several acquisitions and energy auctions for wind, hydro and thermal power plants, as well as large power consumers within a variety of industries in their power purchase strategies and self-producing power projects. She represented different construction conglomerates in the investment structuring and negotiation of the construction contracts for the Teles Pires and the Belo Monte power plants. She also assisted clients in the logistics sector in the project development and construction of an ethanol pipeline designed to bring ethanol to major consumer centers and ports for export, and in the development of a major port complex in the State of Rio de Janeiro.
Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Ms. Bassegio was a partner in the Infrastructure and Projects and Energy practices at another law firm in Brazil. She also worked with the banking and projects department at an international law firm in New York.
- Counsel to Electricité de France S.A. - EDF and Usina Termelétrica Norte Fluminense S.A. - UTNF in the limited placement offering of non-convertible debentures issued by Companhia Energética SINOP S.A., subsidiary of UTNF.
- Counsel to Parnaíba Gás Natural S.A. in the development of a gas compression system for its gas treatment facility (UTG) in Maranhão.
- Represented Rolls-Royce on the project to develop a facility to assemble and test power thrusters in Brazil, including the negotiation of the design and EPC agreements.
- Represented the Odebrecht Group in the investment structuring and negotiation of the engineering, procurement, and construction contract for the Teles Pires power plant and assisted the construction consortium formed by ten different contractors in the construction contract for the Belo Monte power plant.
- Assisted the Eneva Group in the acquisition of several wind farms in Brazil, as well as in the issuance of bonds for the construction and implementation of power plants in Brazil and Colombia.
- Represented Logum Logística in the project development and construction of an ethanol pipeline and related hydro terminals designed to bring ethanol to major consumer centers and ports for export. It will be the longest ethanol pipeline in the world when completed.
- Assisted several developers and investors in the project development, contract structure, and qualification process in connection with the participation of seven different gas and biomass power plants in the Power Auctions promoted by the Brazilian government in 2015.
Accolades and Recognitions
- Chambers & Partners, Latin America – Projects – 2014, 2015, 2016
- Chambers & Partners, Latin America – Energy & Natural Resources:
Power – 2015, 2016
- Legal 500, Latin America – Energy and Natural Resources: Electricity – 2014, 2015
- Legal 500, Latin America – Projects and Infrastructure – 2015
- Legal 500, Latin America – Banking & Finance – 2013
- Euromoney Expert Guides – LMG Rising Stars – Energy
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Conference “Regulação da Economia no Brasil: o Papel das Agências após 20 anos de Estado Regulador,” roundtable, Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV), May 2015
- Conference “O Setor Produtivo e a Energia - Questões e Soluções da Indústria em Tempo de Crise Energética,” debater, Firjan, March 2015
- Conference “Reorganização de Empresas do Setor Elétrico,” debater, FGV, October 2014
- “Temas Relevantes do Setor Elétrico,” speaker, Vale S.A., October 2014
- “Temas Atuais do Setor Elétrico,” speaker, Banco Plural Brasil in São Paulo, February 2013
- “Renovação das Concessões de Energia Elétrica,” seminar panelist, BRITCHAM São Paulo, October 2012
- “Incerteza na Renovação das Concessões de Distribuição de Energia Elétrica,” Brasil Energia, May 2015
- “Recent Changes and New Opportunities in the Brazilian Electricity Sector,” Euromoney Expert Guides, February 2015
- “New Challenges for the Brazilian Free Energy Market,” IBA Power Law Committee, February 2014
- “Recent Developments on the Brazilian Free Energy Market,” IBA Power Law Committee, May 2013
- “Starting blocks,” The Lawyer, October 2012
- “Structuring Energy Projects in Brazil,” China Go Abroad, November 2011
- “The Game Plan,” IFRL – Energy and Project Finance, January 2011
- Columbia University, LL.M, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, 2009
- Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS-RS), Specialist Degree in Public Law, 2006
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul (PUC-RS), LL.B., 2001