William Brady is Head of the firm’s Alternative Lender and Private Credit practice, focused on the global alternative lender platform. He is also a partner in the Finance practice at Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office.
Mr. Brady’s practice focuses on complex finance transactions and credit arrangements, particularly those financings that include a junior capital component or multiple tranches of debt. He regularly structures and negotiates a wide range of financing facilities, such as mezzanine debt, second-lien loans, bifurcated unitranche facilities, first-out/last-out and term “B” facilities, and holdco note purchases.
Mr. Brady represents a broad array of alternative lenders and investors, including traditional mezzanine funds, second lien lenders, hedge funds, BDCs, SBIC funds, one-stop shops, insurance companies, and specialty finance companies, often in the context of domestic and cross-border leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, refinancings and restructurings. Over the past five years, he has structured and closed more than 150 financings for transactions ranging from $10 million to $2 billion.
Mr. Brady has extensive experience in intercreditor and interlender issues, secured creditor and bankruptcy rights and debt restructurings, and he regularly negotiates intercreditor and subordination agreements, agreements among lenders and other complex interlender agreements. His experience extends across a variety of industries, including technology, healthcare, energy, retail, media, communications, gaming, pharmaceuticals, biotech, manufacturing, financial services, insurance, security, and food services.
Chambers USA has recognized him for “standing out as an excellent negotiator” and being “very practical and clearly identifying the ‘must have’ versus the ‘nice to have’ elements of a transaction.”
Speaking Engagements and Publications
Mr. Brady is a thought leader on unitranche financings and speaks at various junior capital, multi-tranche finance and related finance conferences and seminars. His recent press and speaking engagements include:
- Co-author, “Unitranche 2.0: A global (r)evolution,” Private Debt Investor
- Private Debt Investor Capital Structure Forum (London): Headline Panel: “How Private Lending Has Changed the Financial Industry in Europe” panel moderator
- Private Debt Investor Forum (New York): Panel Moderator: “Understanding Unitranche”
- Private Debt Investor Forum (New York): Panel Moderator: “Blurred Lines: An Analysis of How the Private Debt Market is Converging”
- Private Debt Investor Roundtable: “Drumming for Dollars,” PDI Us Special
- IIR’s Private Debt & Mezzanine Finance: “The Forum for the Alternative Debt Markets Conference”, Paris
- American Law Institute’s “Commercial Lending Today” Conference on Intercreditor Agreements
- Author, “The Unitranche (R)evolution – Rapidly Evolving, Dramatically Increasing,” Bloomberg BNA