Isaac S. Ashkenazi is a partner in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings LLP. Mr. Ashkenazi focuses his practice on complex patent litigation primarily in the pharmaceutical, chemistry, and biotechnology fields. He has experience with a broad range of technologies, including pharmaceutical compounds, proteins, polymers, formulations, and chemical and synthetic processes. Mr. Ashkenazi has represented life sciences companies in patent cases involving a wide variety of therapeutics, including oncology drugs, Parkinson’s medications, proton pump inhibitors, sleep agents, respiratory agents, antiemetics, and cholesterol-lowering and antidiabetic agents.
- The Legal 500's Intellectual Property - Patents: Litigation (Full Coverage) (2021)
- Named a Rising Star in Life Sciences by Law360 in 2018 for several high-stakes wins, including invalidating a key patent for Humira®, the world’s best-selling drug.
- Recognized in The Legal 500 for two successful IPR petitions resulting in rulings that method-of-treatment claims covering the drug product Humira® would have been obvious.
- Named American Lawyer’s 2018 Transatlantic IP Team of the Year for leading a major pharmaceutical litigation through fact, expert and Markman phases, and obtaining six walk-away consent judgments.
- 2017 Law360 Life Sciences Practice Group of the Year.
- Two-time Legal Lion, Law360.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D. (concentration in Intellectual Property), 2005
- The Cooper Union, B.E. in Chemical Engineering, 2002
- Successfully defended Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corp.’s patent covering its blockbuster type 2 diabetes treatments, Invokana® and Invokamet®, in the first Hatch-Waxman Zoom trial in the District of New Jersey.
- Obtained summary judgment of invalidity with respect to patents covering methods of using adenosine asserted by the University of Massachusetts and Carmel Laboratories against 130 different L'Oréal USA products (currently on appeal).
- Secured favorable settlements on behalf of Adamas Pharmaceuticals, Inc. with first filers in patent infringement actions involving its Gocovri® Parkinson’s medication.
- Obtained walkaways from six separate generics for Boehringer Ingelheim in Hatch-Waxman litigations involving its blockbuster Pradaxa® stroke medication.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of Boehringer Ingelheim in connection with patent challenges relating to its proposed biosimilar version of Humira®.
- Successfully defended Sunovion Inc.’s patent covering its popular sleep aid, Lunesta®, in one of the largest Hatch-Waxman Act litigations.
- Obtained favorable settlements on behalf of Allos Therapeutics, Inc., with multiple defendants seeking approval for generic versions of its Folotyn® cancer treatment.
- Represented Amgen Inc. in a patent infringement case concerning a modified growth colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) for the treatment of neutropenia, and secured a complete walkaway in a patent infringement case brought by Teva concerning Amgen’s Sensipar® product, used for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism.
- Served as trial counsel for Pfizer Inc. (Wyeth) and Nycomed in a successful jury trial concerning a validity challenge to the patent covering the companies’ $2 billion-dollar-per-year acid reflux medication, Protonix®.
- 2022 IAM Patent 1000 Ranks More Than 20 Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Lawyers Across Seven Jurisdictions - July 6th, 2022
- Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Practice Continues Year of Remarkable Rankings with New IAM 1000 Accolades and Additional IP Stars Recognitions - July 2nd, 2021
- Paul Hastings’ IP Practice Notches Trial Win for Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation - March 25th, 2021
- Benchmark Litigation Distinguishes Paul Hastings’ IP Practice with Top-Tier National Ranking - October 14th, 2020
- On the Heels of an IP Practice Group of the Year Award, Paul Hastings’ IP Attorneys Earn Top Rankings by LMG Life Sciences - October 1st, 2020
- Paul Hastings’ IP Practice Wins Hatch-Waxman Litigation Firm of the Year at LMG Life Sciences Awards - September 24th, 2020
- Paul Hastings’ IP Practice Receives Four LMG Life Sciences Awards Nominations - August 4th, 2020
- Paul Hastings’ IP Litigation Practice Recognized as an IP Powerhouse with 25 Rankings by IAM Patent 1000 and Legal 500 US - June 12th, 2020
- Asia-Pacific Stronghold of Paul Hastings’ IP Practice Recognized with “Foreign Firm of the Year” Nomination by Managing IP Asia-Pacific Awards 2020 - May 29th, 2020
- Merri Moken, Trial Lawyer and IP Strategist, Joins Paul Hastings’ Powerhouse Intellectual Property Practice - October 21st, 2019
- Paul Hastings Wins at LMG Life Sciences Awards - September 19th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Nominated for Four LMG Life Sciences Awards - July 26th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Recognized in 2019 Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars - June 24th, 2019
- New York Law Journal Recognizes Paul Hastings Life Sciences IP Litigators as New York Trailblazers - May 20th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Wins Top Honors at 2019 Managing IP Americas Awards - April 8th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Wins Hatch-Waxman Litigation Firm of the Year at LMG Life Sciences Awards - September 13th, 2018
- Five Paul Hastings Lawyers Named Law360 Rising Stars - July 30th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Named Transatlantic IP Team of the Year by The American Lawyer - June 15th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Wins Law360 Life Sciences Practice Group of the Year - February 5th, 2018
- 20 Paul Hastings Lawyers Ranked in 2022 IAM Patent 1000 - July 6th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Intellectual Property Practice Recognized by IAM 1000 2021 - July 2nd, 2021
- 2021 Legal 500 United States Guide Ranks More Than Fifteen Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Practice Lawyers - June 17th, 2021
- Recognized in the IAM Patent 1000 - June 11th, 2020
- Recognized by Managing IP as the Life Sciences IP Litigation Firm of the Year - April 5th, 2019
- Recognized as the Hatch-Waxman Litigation Firm of the Year by LMG Life Sciences - September 13th, 2018
- Recognized as a Law360 Rising Star in Life Sciences - July 30th, 2018
- Recognized as the Transatlantic IP Team of the Year by The American Lawyer - June 15th, 2018
- Recognized as Law360 Practice Group of the Year in Life Sciences - February 1st, 2018
- Recognized at the 2016 LMG Life Sciences Awards - September 16th, 2016
- Shortlisted for four LMG Life Sciences Awards for 2016 - July 27th, 2016
- Recognized by IAM Patent 1000 for 2016 - May 27th, 2016
- Managing IP 2016 North America Awards - March 18th, 2016
- Managing Intellectual Property's 2016 IP Stars - March 2nd, 2016
- Recognized by IAM Patent 1000 for 2015 - June 17th, 2015
- Managing IP's 2015 IP Stars - May 15th, 2015
- Recognized by LMG Life Sciences for Life Sciences IP Litigation - October 9th, 2014
- Nominated for the Legal Media Group's LMG Life Science Awards - August 12th, 2013
- Recognized as IP Pharma Team of the Year by Intellectual Property Magazine - November 30th, 2010
- Paul Hastings Secures Win in First DNJ Zoom Hatch-Waxman Act Trial, Including Significant Ruling Rejecting Extension of Obviousness-Type Double Patenting Law - April 8th, 2021
- Takeaways from Paul Hastings’ Completion of the First Zoom Hatch-Waxman Act Trial in DNJ - October 7th, 2020
- Extension of Regulatory Approval Stay Helps Relieve Hatch-Waxman Time Pressure Caused by COVID-19 - April 27th, 2020
- Key Takeaways for Practitioners from the Athena v. Mayo En Banc Rehearing Petition Denial - July 15th, 2019
- District of New Jersey Prevents Generic Challenger from Using Claim Construction as a Backdoor to Introduce Barred Invalidity Defense - June 16th, 2014
- Federal Circuit Clarifies That Foreseeability Does Not Preclude the Application of the Doctrine of Equivalents - February 20th, 2014
- The Federal Circuit Further Clarifies The Obviousness-Type Double Patenting Doctrine For Composition Claims - August 27th, 2012
- Federal Circuit Signals Reigning in of Janssen and Rasmusson on Enablement/Utility - August 1st, 2011
- Failure to Launch - April 7th, 2011
- Federal Circuit Vacates Injunction Against Generic Drug Manufacturer, Determining That A Settlement Agreement Term Is Ambiguous - December 29th, 2010
- District of New Jersey Resets KUDCos ANDAs Final Approval in Protonix Litigation, Notwithstanding Outstanding Defenses of Teva and Sun - August 19th, 2010
- Generic Drug Manufacturers Inequitable-Conduct Defenses Dismissed for Failing to Meet Exergens Stringent Pleading Standard - June 8th, 2010
- Patent Law Reform Bills Introduced in Congress - March 4th, 2009
- Member of the State Bars of New York and New Jersey, and admitted to practice in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the United States District Courts for the Southern District of New York and the District of New Jersey
- Admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office