James Bliss is a New York-based partner in Paul Hastings’ litigation practice. Mr. Bliss is a commercial litigator with wide-ranging experience who has handled cutting-edge cases and advised on critical issues for some of the world’s leading corporations and financial institutions.
- Lawrence J. McKay Prize for Excellence in Advocacy, awarded by Fordham Law School.
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 1995. National Champion, 45th Annual National Moot Court Competition.
- New York University, B.A. magna cum laude, 1991, double major in economics and psychology. Founders Day Award, highest academic award bestowed by the university.
- Representing Venezuela’s national oil company in a case relating to billions of dollars in debt securities.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and various Commonwealth instrumentalities in multi-billion-dollar litigations relating to the Puerto Rico bankruptcy cases pending under the Puerto Rico Oversight, Management and Economic Stability Act.
- Represented Amgen in a commercial litigation relating to a multi-billion-dollar therapeutic human antibody.
- Represented UBS Investment Bank in cases relating to highly complex credit derivatives.
- Represented UBS Investment Bank in connection with the default and liquidation of hybrid and synthetic CDOs in a multi-billion-dollar portfolio.
- Represented U.S. Trust in multi-billion-dollar class actions alleging mismanagement of a large cap growth product offered through numerous broker wrap-fee programs.
- Represented a large pharmaceutical company in the mediation of a dispute relating to a drug development program in Asia.
Engagement & Publications
- "Insights From An Under-The-Radar CDO Case," Law360, May 9, 2013
- Moderator, "What to Analyze When Considering Litigation: The Key Steps to Managing Risks, Resources & Costs," New York Law Journal Webinar, May 6, 2013