Jane Song is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s San Diego office. Ms. Song practices primarily in the areas of technology, life sciences, and intellectual property transactions, where she represents public and private companies in a wide variety of areas including software, electronics, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, and other technology and life sciences based industries.
She represents clients in intellectual property and commercial transactions, including structuring, preparing, and negotiating agreements for acquisition or licensing of patents, software, and other intellectual property, formation of strategic alliances, performance of research and development, contract manufacturing, performance of clinical trials, and commercial distribution and sale of products.
Ms. Song also has extensive experience in merger and acquisition and financing transactions involving technology and life sciences companies and intellectual property assets, as well as in performing intellectual property due diligence in connection with such transactions. In addition, she is a patent attorney registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, with experience in patent litigation and settlement of disputes, patent prosecution, and strategic IP counseling.
- Super Lawyer San Diego
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Law
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1996 (Stone Scholar)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, M.S., 1993
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, B.S., 1991 (Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society)
- Elanco U.S., Inc. in its acquisition of Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica’s pet vaccines portfolio and manufacturing and R&D facilities.
- Telogis, Inc. in its sale of the company to Verizon Communications, Inc.
- Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. and LoopPay, Inc. in connection with the launch of Samsung Pay in the U.S.
- Telogis, Inc. in connection with launch of telematics products and services with OEMs, including Nissan, GM, Ford, Hino, and Isuzu.
- Samsung Bioepis, Co. Ltd. in connection with intellectual property and commercial transactions.
- GI Partners in its joint venture with AllScript Healthcare Solutions and acquisition of Netsmart Technologies.
- Symphony Technology Group Makes Majority Investment in CaseWorthy - November 3rd, 2021
- Paul Hastings Advises 2U, Inc. in Acquisition of edX - June 29th, 2021
- Precisely to Acquire Winshuttle from Symphony Technology Group - June 15th, 2021
- Symphony Technology Group to Acquire FireEye Products Business for $1.2 Billion - June 2nd, 2021
- Symphony Technology Group to Acquire McAfee’s Enterprise Business for $4 Billion - March 8th, 2021
- SPH Analytics Population Health Division and Azara Healthcare Merge to Create a Leading Population Health Company - December 22nd, 2020
- Ericsson Announces $1.1 Billion Acquisition of Cradlepoint - September 23rd, 2020
- Francisco Partners and Evergreen Coast Capital to Acquire LogMeIn for Approximately $4.3 Billion - December 19th, 2019
- Daelim Industrial to Acquire Cariflex™ Business Unit of Kraton Corporation for US$530 Million - October 31st, 2019
- Arezzo Signs Licensing and Distribution Agreement with Vans - October 4th, 2019
- Francisco Partners to Sell ClickSoftware to Salesforce for $1.4 Billion - August 8th, 2019
- Intel to Acquire Barefoot Networks - June 27th, 2019
- Golden Gateway Center SPE Closes $550 Million Financing for San Francisco Gateway Residential Complex - March 19th, 2018
- Danaher to Acquire Integrated DNA Technologies - March 9th, 2018
- Wells Fargo Bank, JPMorgan Chase Bank, and Morgan Stanley Serve as Lead Arrangers on Pandora Media’s Asset-Based Credit Facility - January 9th, 2018
- GTCR to Acquire Sage Payment Solutions - June 2nd, 2017
- Elanco Animal Health Acquires Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica’s U.S. Feline, Canine and Rabies Vaccines Portfolio - January 3rd, 2017
- Elanco US Enters into Agreement to Acquire Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica’s U.S. Feline, Canine and Rabies Vaccine Portfolio for $885 Million - October 5th, 2016
- Verizon to Acquire Telogis - June 22nd, 2016
- Paul Hastings Advises DreamWorks Animation SKG in 25% Stake Sale of AwesomenessTV - December 15th, 2014
- OCC to Banking Entities—Give Us Input to Help Improve Implementation of the Volcker Rule - August 10th, 2017
- State Regulators Mount Counter-Offensive Seeking to Stop OCC’s Fintech Charter - May 3rd, 2017
- The OCC’s Proposed Fintech Charter: If It Walks Like a Bank and Quacks Like a Bank, It’s a Bank - December 13th, 2016
- Back to the Future—Trump Administration Seeks to Roll Back Financial Services Regulation - November 30th, 2016
- The CFPB’s Project Catalyst: Is It Worth the Risk? - November 4th, 2016
- Online Lenders Beware—CashCall Decision another Example of True Lender Risks - September 29th, 2016
- Addressing ECOA Risk in Marketplace Lending - August 25th, 2016
- Are You Ready to Comply with the CFPB’s Final Amended Mortgage Servicing Rules? - August 10th, 2016
- CFPB Proposes New Rule Targeting Small Dollar Loans, Relies on UDAAP Rulemaking Authority for First Time - June 14th, 2016
- FinCEN Guidance Highlights Continued Regulatory Focus on Anti-Money Laundering Risks Posed by MSB Agents - March 29th, 2016
- CFPB—2015 in Review and What is Ahead for 2016? - January 14th, 2016
- Has the CFPB Essentially Banned Marketing Services Agreements Under RESPA? - October 21st, 2015
- Banking on the Green Rush: Financial Institutions Face New Challenges in Serving the Legal Marijuana Industry - September 29th, 2015
- Elder Financial Abuse on the Rise: What Financial Institutions Can Do to Address Increasing Regulatory Scrutiny Designed to Protect At-Risk Customers - August 25th, 2015
- Is Your Business Ready to Comply with the Final Amended Department of Defense Military Lending Act Regulation? - August 5th, 2015
- Treasury Department Seeks Comments on Online Marketplace Lending - July 30th, 2015
- The Law of Joint Ownership of Patents: The Right to Impede an Infringement Suit - November 14th, 2014
- A License to Make, Use, and Sell a Patented Product Inherently Includes Have Made Rights - June 11th, 2009
Engagement & Publications
- "Intellectual Property Issues in M&A Transactions" published in the Lawyers (a Japanese publication) (November 2016)
- "The Law of Joint Ownership of Patents: The Right to Impede an Infringement Suit" published in BNA’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal (November 13, 2014, No. 219)
- "Automatic Renewal Provisions in Subscription Agreements for Software Services" accepted for publication in IP Today (May 2013)
- Seminar titled "Playing Offense and Defense: Intellectual Property Issues Impacting Financial Services Companies" at the Paul Hastings Teleconference Series for Financial Services Clients (February 2013)
- "Rediscover the Law: Joint Authorship Requires More than the Authors' Intent to Merge Their Contributions" published in IP Today (June 2012)
- "Intellectual Property Indemnification Obligations: Liability for Combinations," Los Angeles Daily Journal (December 2010)
- Seminar titled "IP Licensing" at the Korean Inhouse Counsel Forum (August 2010)
- Chapter titled "Initial Considerations in Seeking Patent Protection," for Inside the Minds Series on Developing a Patent Strategy (2010 Edition)
- "Further Guidance on Browsewrap User Agreements," Law360 (October 27, 2009)
- "License to Confuse: Patent Agreements and ‘Have Made’ Rights," Los Angeles Daily Journal (August 26, 2009)
- Seminar on IP risks in the cyberspace at 2009 Professional Risk Symposium of the Professional Liability Underwriting Society (May 2009)
- Member, Licensing Executive Society
- IP Licensing Committee Member, Intellectual Property Owners Association
- IP Committee Member, California Bar Association