Jason Brooks is a partner in the Structured Credit practice at Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s London office. He advises leading investment and retail banks as well as other financial institutions and corporates on a wide range of derivatives and structured products.
Mr. Brooks specializes in derivative-linked and asset-backed securities and advises on both wholesale and retail structured product offerings linked to a wide range of asset classes including credit, equities, funds, commodities, indices, and rates.
Mr. Brooks also advises on repos, securities lending, collateral structures, and netting. He is currently advising clients on the impact of EMIR and other regulations relating to derivatives and structured products.
- Named a 'Leading Individual' for Derivatives and Structured Products - The Legal 500 UK 2023
- J.D., University of Toronto
- Advising a number of clients on risk transfer arrangements, including risk participations, credit linked notes and CDSs, including several insurance companies and funds on investments into credit-linked note structures and related CDS hedging;
- Advised a number of investors and arrangers in respect of synthetic securitisation structures, including CLN and derivatives structures;
- Represented issuers on the establishment and update of EU-listed structured note programmes and repackaging programmes and advised both issuers and investors in relation to numerous issuances and listings of structured notes, including equity-linked notes, credit-linked notes, index-linked notes and other bespoke structures;
- Represented both investors and originators on securitisations of fintech loans, including a USD 100million Nigerian fintech securitisation;
- Represented a Spanish asset manager on two EUR 100million revolving credit facilities in respect of a credit fund investing in corporate loans;
- Represented an investment firm in respect of several collateralised collar transactions in respect of EUR 1billion+ of EU listed shares;
- Advised on various total return swaps, including a financing of an energy company through convertible loan notes funded through a total return swap;
- Advised on various credit-linked deposit arrangements, including self-referencing reciprocal or cross-deposit extinguisher arrangements;
- Advised on various commodities-linked arrangements, including asset-backed bullion programmes, oil price hedging and commodity repo transactions;
- Advised major financial institutions on various regulatory projects and industry-wide initiatives, including EMIR compliance, Brexit and IBOR transition;
- Represented a number of investment banks and private equity firms on deal contingent hedging on a number of US and European M&A transactions; and
- Represented a number of investment banks on structured repurchase and stock lending transactions, including leverage financing for CLO investment vehicle, and repos over portfolios of loans
- Represented a number of investment banks on structured repurchase and stock lending transactions, including leverage financing for CLO investment vehicle, and repos over portfolios of loans; and
- Represented hedge providers on various securitisation structures including RMBS, CMBS, CLOs and whole business securitisations.
- Paul Hastings Advised on Financing for Acquisition of Telecom Tower Portfolio from Telekom Srbija - February 20th, 2024
- Paul Hastings Advised Lenders on Phoenix Energy Refinancing - February 14th, 2024
- Paul Hastings Again Recognized in the 2024 Edition of The Legal 500 UK Solicitors - October 5th, 2023
- Paul Hastings Receives High Rankings in the 2023 Edition of The Legal 500 UK Solicitors - September 29th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Continues Top-Tier Talent Surge With Addition to its Market-Leading Structured Credit Team in London - June 20th, 2022