Jennifer S. Baldocchi is Co-Vice Chair of the Paul Hastings Employment Department and the Chair of the International Employee Mobility and Trade Secrets practice. Her practice focuses on employee mobility and intellectual property, including trade secrets, covenants not to compete, unfair competition, and fiduciary duties. She is recognized by Legal 500 US for trade secrets litigation and non-contentious matters and as both a Top Labor and Employment Lawyer and a Top Trade Secrets Lawyer by the Daily Journal. Ms. Baldocchi has significant trial experience. She litigates trade secret misappropriation claims, as well as disputes over restrictive covenants in employment-related agreements. She provides advice on best practices to protect and enforce intellectual property rights and restrictive covenants. On the transactional side, she prepares employee and executive contracts, focusing on the protection of trade secrets and the prevention of improper customer and employee solicitations.
Ms. Baldocchi’s practice also involves advising and defending employers in complex employment claims such as wrongful discharge, discrimination, retaliation, and harassment. She defends class actions and multi-district litigation, including disparate treatment, disparate impact, and wage and hour class actions. Ms. Baldocchi also counsels clients in wage and hour issues and investigations.
- Recognized as one of Lawdragon’s 500 Leading U.S. Corporate Employment Lawyers.
- Recognized by Chambers USA as a Top Labor & Employment Lawyer.
- Recommended for U.S. Trade Secrets Litigation and Non-Contentious Matters, The Legal 500 US.
- Recognized as one of the Daily Journal’s Top Labor and Employment Lawyers in California.
- Recognized as one of the Daily Journal's Top Trade Secrets Lawyers in California.
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A. with honors
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, J.D., Order of the Coif
- Note and Comment Editor, Loyola Los Angeles Law Review
- Member, St. Thomas More Law Honor Society
- Represented AeroVironment, Inc. in multiple matters, including an executive mobility and intellectual property case. Led the trial team in Ventura County Superior Court in a seven-week trial, resulting in a verdict in favor of the company. Handled additional litigation involving highly confidential information.
- Represented a technology company in litigation pending in multiple jurisdictions concerning covenants not to compete. Obtained temporary restraining order, preliminary injunction, and summary adjudication victories.
- Represented Epson America in an action involving breach of restrictive covenants by a former executive. Prevailed on contract claims on summary judgment.
- Represented LD Products Inc. in litigation involving noncompete agreements and trade secrets. Successfully convinced the court as to the unenforceability of various restrictive covenants.
- Represented American Airlines and its subsidiary, American Eagle, in their claims to reject and renegotiate collective bargaining agreements as part of the Section 1113 process in bankruptcy. This resulted in new contracts for both companies, allowing them to successfully exit bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented UPS in a wage and hour class action alleging misclassification and meal break violations with significant potential liability. Convinced the court on the eve of trial to decertify the class and continued to represent the company in multiple trials for the individual cases. After eight years of litigation, obtained 16 wins and 38 walk-aways, and recovered defense fees in several cases.
- Represented a large financial institution in multiple actions involving alleged harassment, discrimination, and retaliation. After trial and appeals were completed, obtained a complete victory for the company on all claims.
- Defended a preeminent entertainment company against claims of copyright infringement in connection with a major motion picture. Prevailed against all claims on summary judgment.
- Paul Hastings Honored by Chambers USA as Labor & Employment Firm of the Year - May 27th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Ranked as Top Three Firm for New Rankings and Recognized for Numerous Practice Strength and Growth in Chambers USA 2021 - May 21st, 2021
- Nine Paul Hastings Lawyers Recognized as Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Corporate Employment Lawyers - December 16th, 2020
- Paul Hastings Selected as The American Lawyers Labor & Employment Litigation Firm of the Year - January 6th, 2010
- Jennifer S. Baldocchi Named 2021 Top Trade Secrets Lawyer in California by Daily Journal - October 6th, 2021
- 2021 Legal 500 United States Guide Ranks More Than Fifteen Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Practice Lawyers - June 17th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Honored by Chambers USA as Labor & Employment Firm of the Year - May 27th, 2021
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2021 - May 21st, 2021
- President Biden Signs Executive Order Seeking to Ban or Limit Non-Compete Agreements - July 14th, 2021
- California District Court Affirms Anti-Moonlighting Agreements Apply to Independent Contractors - April 20th, 2021
- Employers Take Note: Washington D.C. Is Poised to Enact the Nation’s Broadest Prohibition on Employee Non-Compete Agreements - February 9th, 2021
- Appellate Court Invalidates Confidential Information Agreement as an Unlawful Non-Compete - February 5th, 2021
- The Delay Continues – California Passes Prop 24 And Employers Must “Wait and See - November 9th, 2020
- AB 1867: California Enacts Supplemental COVID-19 Paid Sick Leave Law - September 14th, 2020
- NO TRADE SECRET PROTECTIONS FOR INFORMATION DISCUSSED VIA OPEN ZOOM CALL - September 8th, 2020
- California Supreme Court Issues Decision in Ixchel Pharma, LLC v. Biogen, Inc.: Rule of Reason Will Apply to Non-Compete Agreements Between Businesses - August 4th, 2020
- In the Patent World, Humans Still Rule: USPTO Holds Artificial Intelligence Cannot Be an Inventor of a Patent - May 6th, 2020
- Protecting Trade Secrets During the Pandemic - April 24th, 2020
- Is IP Theft an Emergency During a Global Pandemic? Maybe Not, According to One Court - April 16th, 2020
- COVID-19 Shelter-in-Place Orders May Be Threatening Trade Secrets: What to Know - April 10th, 2020
- LA Mayor Issues Emergency Order Providing Paid Sick Leave to Certain Employees Affected by COVID-19 - April 8th, 2020
- FFCRA: Guidance and Controversy This Week - April 4th, 2020
- PH COVID-19 Client Alert Series: Employers May Qualify for Significant Tax Credits and Government Reimbursements to Cover Paid Coronavirus-Related Leave - March 24th, 2020
- Nipped In The Bud: Federal Court Enjoins California’s New Arbitration Statute - February 3rd, 2020
- Coming in 2020: Seven New Laws Ratcheting Up the Regulation of Employment in California - October 14th, 2019
- AB 51: Attacking Arbitration, Again - October 14th, 2019
- With the Enactment of AB 5, Many Independent Contractors Will Become Employees - September 18th, 2019
- The Impact of AI Legislation on Employment - August 20th, 2019
Engagement & Publications
- Noncompetes and Restrictive Covenants 2020: What Every Lawyer, Human Resources Professional, and Key Strategic Decisionmaker Should Know, Practicing Law Institute (PLI), Faculty (January 31, 2020)
- Drafting Employment Agreements For Commission-Based Employees: Protecting Confidential Information, Speaker, Webcredenza Webinar (May 15, 2019)
- Taming the Gig Economy: Freelance Isn’t Free, ABA Business Law Section Presentation, Speaker (March 28, 2019)
- Recent Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation, ABA Annual Review Chapter on Employment Law, contributing author (2019)
- California Employment Law, Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition, Chapter 70, Matthew Bender (2018), author
- California Court of Appeals Voids Employee Post Employment Non-Solicitation Restrictions: What Your Company Needs To Do Now (November 2018)
- Co-Chair, Daily Journal Employment Law Forum (July 2018)
- Employee Mobility, speaker, Daily Journal Employment Law Forum (July 2018)
- In-House Litigation And Employment Counsel: What Keeps You Up At Night? moderator, Daily Journal Employment Law Forum (July 2018)
- Advanced Litigation Techniques In Trade Secrets Cases, speaker, L.A. County Bar Association, Annual Employment Law Retreat (April 2018)
- Obtaining Damages and Injunctions In Restrictive Covenant Cases, speaker, AELC (October 2017)
- Practical Considerations for Obtaining Injunctions and Recovering Damages in Restrictive Covenant and Misappropriation Cases, AELC, author (October 2017)
- Professional Education Broadcast Network: Drafting Sales Agents’ Agreements and Protecting Confidential Information, webinar (July 2016)
- The New Federal Trade Secrets Law: Top Takeaways for Employers (May 2016)
- There’s A New Federal Trade Secrets Statute—Now What? (May 2016)
- New California Law Closes the Door On Choice of Law and Forum Selection Clauses Aimed At Enforcing Noncompetes (September 2016)
- Location, Location, Location, Noncompete Agreements, Trade Secrets, And Employee Mobility, speaker, California State Bar Meeting (April 2014)
- Why Trade Secrets Matter, speaker, Bridgeport Continuing Education, Trade Secrets Symposium (April 2014)
- Drafting and Enforcing Restrictive Covenants: Reasonable and Effective Non-Compete Clauses, speaker, C4CM Events (August 2013)
- Motions For Summary Judgment And Dispositive Motions, speaker, Bridgeport Continuing Education, Employment Law (June 2013)
- Computer Fraud And Abuse Act: State Of The Law After U.S. v. Nosal and Strategies For Using The CFAA And Penal Code 502(c), speaker, Bridgeport Continuing Education, Litigating a Trade Secret Case (March 2013)
- Best of CLE, Employment Law Update, speaker, The Seminar Group (January 2013)
- Responding To A Trade Secrets Lawsuit, speaker, Bridgeport Continuing Education, Litigating a Trade Secret Case (December 2011)
- The Media Law Resource Center’s annual publication, the 50-State Survey on Employment Libel and Privacy Law, contributing writer
- Vice-Chair Employment Law Subcommittee of the ABA Business and Corporate Litigation Committee
- Board Member, Public Counsel
- Member, American Employment Law Council
- Co-Chair, Paul Hastings Los Angeles Pro Bono And Community Committee and member of Paul Hastings Global Pro Bono Committee
- Former Co-Chair of Communications Committee For California State Bar Access To Justice Commission
- Former Member of Right To Counsel Committee For California State Bar Access To Justice Commission