Joanna Dimmock is a partner in the Investigations and White Collar Defense practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s London office. Ms. Dimmock has broad experience representing individuals and corporates. She has particular expertise in international corruption, criminal cartels, economic sanctions, extradition, mutual legal assistance, private prosecutions and FCA investigations, and many of these cases have an international component. Ms Dimmock frequently acts in high-profile and sensitive cases against the Serious Fraud Office (SFO), the National Crime Agency, HM Revenue & Customs, the Financial Conduct Authority, the police, and other agencies, both in the UK and overseas.
According to The Legal 500 UK, "Joanna Dimmock is undoubtedly the future of white collar criminal defence: she displays exceptional intellect, tactical know-how and remarkable commitment to her clients."
- Ranked as Up and Coming for Chambers High Net Worth 2021 - Financial Crime: High Net Worth Individuals - UK. Clients describe her as "one of the most amazing solicitors in financial crime; she is one of the best of her generation." "She is so driven, incredibly hard-working and so tenacious." "She cares about her cases, she is very good with clients and she wants to know all the detail of the case but has the experience and judgement to make good decisions."
- Ranked as an ‘Up and Coming’ Lawyer, Financial Crime: Corporates/Individuals, Legal 500 UK 2020. Legal 500 UK 2020 describes her as "an incredibly bright, excellent lawyer and inspires trust in her clients."
- Recognized by Who’s Who Legal as a Future Leader in Investigations and Crime Defense, 2019, and one of four lawyers across EMEA to be rated as "most highly regarded."
- Named in Global Investigations Review’s Top 100 Women in Investigations, 2018
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- University of York
- Represented and secured the acquittal of Richard Usher, a senior bank trader, in connection with a worldwide investigation and prosecution of the alleged manipulation of foreign exchange benchmarks by the Department of Justice (DOJ), SFO, and other agencies.
- Acting for a senior executive in the oil industry charged by the SFO in relation to its Unaoil investigation and prosecution relating to alleged bribery in post-war Iraq.
- Representing one of the defendants in a prosecution by the SFO relating to an alleged fraud against the U.K. government by G4S.
- Representing a senior oil executive in relation to a joint SFO and DOJ investigation in relation to overseas bribery.
- Advised a football agent on an HM Revenue & Customs investigation in relation to tax evasion.
- Advised a senior gaming industry executive in relation to an HM Revenue & Customs investigation and associated U.S. licensing issues.
- Advised a global financial institution regarding a multi-jurisdictional FCA investigation in relation to failures in systems and controls related to money laundering.
- Advised a global financial institution in relation to civil recovery order proceedings brought by the National Crime Agency.
- Advised a company in the mining sector regarding an internal investigation into allegations of bribery and corruption.
- Acted for a major Middle Eastern businessman in relation to his de-listing from international sanctions lists and in respect of criminal charges for corruption and money laundering, global freezing orders, and an Interpol red notice in numerous jurisdictions, including the U.K., Egypt, Canada, Switzerland and the Cayman Islands.
- Acted for a former Egyptian Minister and his wife in relation to their de-listing from EU restrictive measures pursuant to criminal charges for bribery and corruption. This included representing the client in proceedings brought before the European General Court and associated judicial review proceedings before the U.K. Administrative Court.
- Paul Hastings Celebrated as Most Impressive Investigations Practice at Global Investigations Review’s Annual Awards - November 10th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Recognized for Excellence in Legal 500 United Kingdom 2022 - October 1st, 2021
- Paul Hastings Advances Growth in London with Addition of Leading Investigations and White Collar Defense Partner Duo - February 16th, 2021
- ESG in the Disputes and Contentious Regulatory Sphere—a Mini-series: Regulatory and Criminal Offence Risks in the ESG Context - October 15th, 2021
- ESG in the Disputes and Contentious Regulatory Sphere—a Mini-series: Introduction to ESG in the Disputes and Contentious Regulatory Sphere - October 15th, 2021
- U.K. Supreme Court Clarifies the Scope of Section 2(3) of The Criminal Justice Act 1987 by Holding that a Foreign Company cannot be compelled to Produce Documents Held Abroad - March 17th, 2021