Partner, Corporate Department
New YorkPhone: 1(212) 318-6736
John Budetti is the Global Chair of the Investment Funds & Private Capital practice of Paul Hastings based in the firm’s New York office. John focuses his practice on counseling private equity sponsors in numerous transactions. Since 2005, he has represented private fund sponsors with AUM ranging from $75 million to $30+ billion.
John counsels private fund sponsors on a variety of matters involving raising diverse funds; sponsors’ secondary transactions, and GP-led continuation vehicles; third-party minority stake investments in sponsor management companies; operational, legal, compliance, and governance matters; internal economic arrangements; alternative investment vehicle structures and M&A transactions; strategic investments and joint ventures; spin-outs; and other corporate transactions involving private investment funds.
- IFLR1000 US, Highly Regarded, Investment Funds
- The Legal 500 US, Private Equity Funds
- Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, J.D. (cum laude), 2005
- Northwestern University Kellogg School of Management, M.B.A.
- Trinity College, B.A.
- €1.4 billion Europe Growth Equity fund.
- $1.85 billion Private Equity fund.
- $500 million portfolio company purchase and co-investment.
- $490 million portfolio company sale.
- $1 billion GP-led restructuring continuation fund.
- $1.5+ billion multi-fund GP-led restructuring reinvestment vehicle.
- Sell-side minority stake investment in sponsor $2 billion+ AUM.
- $5 billion LBO fund.
- $900 million middle market growth equity / venture capital fund.
- €1.1 billion Europe Growth Equity fund.
- $800 million Special Opportunities fund.
- $1.7 billion Government Contracting LBO fund.
- $4.9 billion Growth Equity fund.
- $3.5 billion Private Equity fund.
- $1 billion lower middle market fund.
- $5.25 billion LBO fund.
- $900 million credit fund.
- Global, U.S., and European leverage buyout, mezzanine, and subordinated debt, credit, venture capital funds, and other products.
- Separately managed accounts and “funds-of-one.”
- Investment funds for multiple other asset classes and geographies.
Private Capital Transactions:
- Continuation vehicles.
- Minority stake investments.
- Various private-market primary and secondary purchase and sale transactions.
- Structuring deal structure alternative investment vehicle transactions.
- Represented individual during naturalization process working with Legal Services NYC.
- Represented individual seeking citizenship under Violence Against Women Act.
- Represented multiple Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans with combat-related disabilities.
- Led merger of two non-profit corporations.
- Represented low-income tenants association in property joint-venture.
Matters may have been completed before joining Paul Hastings.