John Cahill is the head of the Real Estate Finance practice group and a partner in the Real Estate Private Equity practice of Paul Hastings. Mr. Cahill divides his time between Hong Kong and New York. He is also a member of the Hospitality and Leisure practice group at Paul Hastings. He has extensive experience working with clients throughout the United States and Asia, including Hong Kong, India, Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, China, and Korea.
Mr. Cahill represents major financial institutions, private equity funds and other institutional investors, in complex domestic and cross-border commercial transactions. His practice has concentrated on the representation of investment banks, insurance companies, private equity funds, development companies, other types of institutional lenders and venture capital firms in the formation of real estate private equity funds, and raising equity and debt for such funds. In addition, his practice encompasses the development, acquisition and sale, finance, leasing, operation, management, licensing, branding, repositioning, workout and restructuring of hotels, condo-hotels, resorts and other hospitality, recreational, and real estate-based entertainment properties for businesses in North America and Asia.
Mr. Cahill represents many investment banks, private equity funds and other institutional investors who are focused on structured finance transactions, including, without limitation, commercial mortgage backed securities, A/B note structures, repurchase agreements, corporate credit facilities, subscription lines of credit, mezzanine finance transactions, preferred equity investments, convertible debt transactions, and commercial loans. In connection with his representation of private equity funds, venture capital firms and pension trusts, Mr. Cahill has done numerous joint ventures for the acquisition financing and development of commercial real estate projects in the U.S. and Asia with an emphasis on hotels and resorts.
Mr. Cahill has represented clients in transactions covering a wide variety of commercial properties throughout the United States and Asia. These properties have involved office towers, regional and super-regional shopping malls, hotels, casinos, resorts and large residential condominiums, and urban and suburban mixed-use developments.
Mr. Cahill began his law practice at Dewey Ballantine in the Corporate department and then joined Battle Fowler LLP in New York, where he was a partner prior to joining Paul Hastings.
- The Legal 500, Real Estate (2021)
- The Legal 500, Tier 1 Real Estate (2020)
- Fordham University Law School, J.D., 1988
- Fordham University, B.A., 1985
- Represented multiple private equity funds in subscription credit facilities ranging in size from $50 million to $1.25 billion.
- Represented a private equity fund in a joint venture with a Hong Kong listed company for co-sponsorship of China distressed debt fund.
- Represented a private equity fund in the joint venture with respect to the acquisition of a Japanese public company.
- Represented a fund advisor in the US$200 million equity restructuring and exit from a China joint venture with a Hong Kong listed company.
- Represented a private equity fund in US$2 billion in corporate debt.
- Represented a private equity firm in the restructuring of its hotel franchise agreement throughout China.
- Represented Doran Capital in the formation of real estate fund, Triseas Real Estate Partners I and II.
- Represented AIG Real Estate in connection with the negotiation of five ground leases for the redevelopment of downtown Seoul, negotiation of $1billion construction loan opposite syndicate of Korean banks for the construction of a 5.5 million square foot mixed use development comprised of three office towers, one hotel and a retail shopping center in a phased development.
- Represented Sotan in its first private equity fund.
- Represented Arch Capital Partners in Fund I and Fund II.
- Represented Star Asia in its three distressed debt funds for Japan.
- Represented multiple private equity funds in multiple separate account transactions.
- Represented a private equity fund as issuer in NPL securitization.
- Represented multiple private equity funds in connection with multiple global master repurchase credit facilities relating to REIT bonds.
- Represented a sovereign wealth fund in connection with a single asset securitization and a separate mezzanine loan in the aggregate amount of US$580 million together with a restructuring of the sponsor.
- Represented a large investment bank in the purchase of an interest in a syndicated capital commitment backed subscription line credit facility.
- Represented a national bank in connection with a repurchase credit facility relating to a pool of mortgage loans.
- Represented a Japanese bank in multiple capital commitment-backed subscription line credit facilities ranging from $50 million to $500 million.
- Represented A real estate finance and investment management company in the restructuring of US$580 million of corporate debt.
- Represented a Japanese based manager in a US$500 million real estate private equity fund for distressed debt in Japan.
- Financial Times Recognizes Paul Hastings For Innovation in Asia-Pacific - May 20th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Recognized at China Business Law Awards 2021 - May 18th, 2021
- Private Co-Working and Cultural Leader NeueHouse Completes Funding Round - November 29th, 2018
- Sino-Ocean Group Acquires Chicago’s Soho House - April 25th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Advised Citi in its Recapitalization of The Community Preservation Corporation, a Pillar of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s Housing New York Plan - July 30th, 2014
- Paul Hastings Advised Shui On Land in Asset Swap Agreement with Trophy Property Development - October 4th, 2013
- Paul Hastings Represents Waypoint Homes in Securing $245 Million Financing from Citibank - October 4th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Represents Oaktree Capital Management in NPL Securitization - October 2nd, 2012
- Paul Hastings Represents ARCH Capital Management in Raising Over $400 Million for Fund II - September 28th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Advises Tan-Eu Capital on Sotan China Real Estate I, LPs First Investment - May 4th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Advises Capital Trust in Debt Restructuring - April 5th, 2011
- Paul Hastings Advises Tan-Eu Capital in Closing of US$400 Million Real Estate Private Equity Vehicle - March 25th, 2011
- Paul Hastings Awarded M&A and Real Estate Deal of the Year Awards - April 23rd, 2010
- Top Performer in Private Equity Real Estate Awards - March 23rd, 2010
- Paul Hastings' Real Estate Practice Awarded Top Tier Ranking in 2021 Legal 500 U.S. Guide - June 18th, 2021
- Recognized as Law360 Practice Group of the Year in Real Estate - December 23rd, 2020
- Real Estate Finance & Investment Awards 2017 - February 14th, 2017
- Recognized as PERE's Global Award Winner for Transactions and Fund Formation - March 5th, 2012
- Member of the New York Bar
- Admitted to practice as a solicitor in Hong Kong
- Trustee and Secretary of the Game Conservancy USA