Josh Sternoff is the Chairman of the global Private Investment Funds practice group of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office. His practice includes representation of private fund sponsors and investors in all aspects of the structuring, documentation, offering, negotiation, and operation of private investment funds, including real estate, credit, and private equity funds making investments, conducting operations, and raising capital on a global basis.
Mr. Sternoff also has extensive experience assisting investment managers and institutional investors with separate account arrangements, "fund-of-one" structures, investment management agreements, club arrangements, and co‑investment programs.
He also represents institutional fund sponsors in connection with joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions involving private funds and fund management teams and other corporate transactions in the investment management industry, as well as newly formed fund sponsors in connection with all elements of the establishment of their investment funds’ platform.
Mr. Sternoff’s fund sponsor clients include large financial institutions as well as entrepreneurial participants in the private funds industry, and he regularly counsels such clients on carried interest and co-investment arrangements in connection with the establishment of private investment funds.
- Mr. Sternoff has been ranked as a leading practitioner in Chambers USA in the area of Private Equity Fund Formation in each of the last eight years.
- Recognized for Investment Funds: Private Equity: Fund Formation in Chambers Global, 2019
- Recognized for Investment fund formation and management - Private equity funds in The Legal 500, 2020
- J.D, cum laude, from Harvard Law School in 1995.
- B.A., summa cum laude, from Columbia University in 1992.
- AEW Capital Management Raises Over $1.5 Billion for its Fourth Asia Pacific Value-Add Fund - September 13th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Ranked as Top Three Firm for New Rankings and Recognized for Numerous Practice Strength and Growth in Chambers USA 2021 - May 21st, 2021
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2020 - May 1st, 2020
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2019 - May 1st, 2019
- Artemis Real Estate Partners Closes $1 Billion Real Estate Fund - April 3rd, 2019
- AEW Capital Management Raises $1.12 Billion for New Fund Focused on Asia Real Estate - July 30th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2018 - May 11th, 2018
- Artemis Real Estate Partners Forms New Healthcare-Focused Real Estate Fund - August 14th, 2017
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2017 - June 5th, 2017
- AEW Capital Management Closes New Fund Focused on Asia Real Estate - September 12th, 2016
- Acadia Realty Trust Closes $520 Million Real Estate Fund - September 9th, 2016
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2016 - June 8th, 2016
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2015 - May 20th, 2015
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2014 - May 27th, 2014
- Paul Hastings Extensive Practice Strength Highlighted in The Legal 500 United States 2013 - June 5th, 2013
- Paul Hastings Employment Practice Honored with Chambers ''Award for Excellence'' and Firms Leading Practices and Lawyers Ranked in Chambers USA 2013 - May 27th, 2013
- Paul Hastings Represents Prudential Real Estate Investors in Closing $805 Million Real Estate Debt Fund - October 18th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Represents ARCH Capital Management in Raising Over $400 Million for Fund II - September 28th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Advises Acadia Realty Trust in the Closing of $541 Million Fund - August 16th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Excels in Chambers USA 2012 Guide - June 7th, 2012
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2021 - May 21st, 2021
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2020 - May 1st, 2020
- Ranked by Chambers USA 2019 - April 26th, 2019
- Recognized by Chambers Global 2019 - February 14th, 2019
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2018 - May 15th, 2018
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2017 - June 5th, 2017
- Real Estate Finance & Investment Awards 2017 - February 14th, 2017
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2016 - June 8th, 2016
- Recognized as PERE's Global Award Winner for Transactions and Fund Formation - March 5th, 2012
- SEC’s New Advertising Rule to Impact PPM Track Record Presentations - August 20th, 2021
- Real Estate Fund Documentation and Operations May Be Impacted By SEC Risk Alert - November 20th, 2020
- SEC Amends Definition of “Accredited Investor” and “Qualified Institutional Buyer” - September 17th, 2020
- DOL Proposes Rule Restricting ESG Investing - July 17th, 2020
- Department of Labor Proposes New Guidance for Fiduciaries - July 10th, 2020
- Department of Labor Allows Private Equity Investment Exposure in 401(k) Plans - June 9th, 2020
- PH COVID-19 Client Alert Series: Issues for Private Fund Managers in the Age of COVID-19 - March 17th, 2020
- What Socially Conscious Investors Can Learn from Mission-Driven Entrepreneurs—and Vice Versa - September 9th, 2019
- Private Fund Report—Summary of Key Developments—Summer 2017 - August 1st, 2017
- Department of Labor’s New Fiduciary Rule Effect on Investment Funds - June 7th, 2017
- Private Fund Report—Summary of Key Developments—Winter 2016 - January 3rd, 2017
- Preparing for Co-investments - November 3rd, 2016
- Private Fund Report—Summary of Key Developments—Spring 2016 - July 14th, 2016
- Recent SEC Enforcement Action Merits a Second Look by Private Equity Firms and Fundless Sponsors at Broker-Dealer Registration - June 20th, 2016
- Department of Labor Issues Proposed Amendment to Section 408(b)(2) Regulations - March 17th, 2014
- ILPA Private Equity Principles 2.0 - March 10th, 2011
- New DOL Proposed Regulations Require Additional Disclosures for QDIAs and Target Date Retirement Funds - December 16th, 2010
- DOL Proposes New ERISA Rule to Expand the Definition of Fiduciary - October 29th, 2010
- Adrift in a Sea of Disclosure: New DOL Rules Require Disclosure of Plan Fees to Participants - October 20th, 2010
- DOL Issues Interim Final Rule on ERISA Plan Service Provider Fee Disclosures - July 29th, 2010
Engagement & Publications
- Panelist, "Beyond Commingled Funds: Innovative Capitalization Structures," PERE America 2018
- Moderator, "Fundraising in a Constantly Challenging Environment," PERE America 2017
- Author, "AMERICAS GC: Preparing for co-investments," PERE November 2016 Issue
- Mr. Sternoff is a member of the firm’s Community Involvement and Pro Bono Committee.