Kyotaro Ozawa (formerly, Hemmi) is an associate in the Litigation department and is based in the firm’s Tokyo Office. His practice focuses primarily on litigation, with particular focus on intellectual property litigation and government investigation. He is experienced in various stages of litigation, including managing pre-suit investigation, taking and defending fact and expert depositions, and presenting arguments and examinations at hearings and trials.
Mr. Ozawa is bilingual in written and spoken English and Japanese.
Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Ozawa was an associate at another multi‑national law firm in its New York office. As a litigator in New York, he regularly made appearances in various New York courts, representing clients at trials as lead counsel and presenting arguments at more than thirty hearings.
Mr. Ozawa joined Paul Hastings in 2018. He is admitted to practice in New York and is a Registered Foreign Lawyer in Japan.
- Japan: Litigation IAM Patent 1000 (2022)
- The World's Leading Patent Professionals, Japan: Foreign – IAM Patent 1000 (2019-2020)
- Japan, Intellectual Property: Rising Star – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020)
- Her Justice – 2016 Commitment to Justice Awards
- Represented a Japanese electronics company in a patent-infringement case involving smart TV and streaming technology
- Represented a client as Lead Trial Counsel in a high-stakes custody case involving a severely disabled child and more than six million dollars in controversy. After a four-day bench trial in the Bronx County Supreme Court, successfully obtained a complete victory for the client.
- Represented a Japanese automobile manufacturer in a patent‑infringement case involving microprocessor designs and wireless communication protocols.
- Represented a Japanese automobile manufacturer in a patent‑infringement case involving GPS navigation systems.
- Represented a multinational electronics company in a patent‑infringement case involving technologies relating to wireless messaging and mobile-device management.
- Represented a printer manufacturer against its competitor in a trade secret case.
- Represented a multinational telecommunications company in a patent‑infringement case involving data-processing systems.
- Represented a Japanese electronics company in a patent-infringement case involving call-routing systems.
- Represented a Japanese pharmaceutical company in an ANDA case involving DPP-4 inhibitors.
- Paul Hastings Again Receives Top Rankings in the 2023 Edition of The Legal 500 Asia Pacific - January 19th, 2023
- 2022 IAM Patent 1000 Ranks More Than 20 Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Lawyers Across Seven Jurisdictions - July 6th, 2022
- Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Practice Continues Year of Remarkable Rankings with New IAM 1000 Accolades and Additional IP Stars Recognitions - July 2nd, 2021
- Paul Hastings’ IP Litigation Practice Recognized as an IP Powerhouse with 25 Rankings by IAM Patent 1000 and Legal 500 US - June 12th, 2020