Lawrence D. Kaplan is Chair of the Bank Regulatory group in the Global Banking and Payments Systems practice. He advises clients on all aspects of bank regulatory issues, with an emphasis on corporate structuring, control, operations, compliance, problem banks, and enforcement.
Mr. Kaplan’s practice involves the representation of traditional and nontraditional financial services holding companies and financial entities in transactions and matters before federal and state bank regulatory agencies, including merger and acquisition transactions, capital raising activities, joint ventures, de novo charters, and novel product offerings including cryptocurrency activities of banks.
Mr. Kaplan has extensive experience advising clients through federal and state regulatory issues associated with the provision of financial services through technology and with consumer finance requirements.
Mr. Kaplan's practice also includes advising clients with respect to anti-money laundering and sanctions programs, as well as data security and privacy matters. In addition, Mr. Kaplan regularly advises clients with respect to the requirements imposed by the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, including issues under the Volcker Rule, as well as proposed reforms to financial services laws.
Mr. Kaplan is an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Michigan Law School and he serves on the Board of Advisors for the Center for Banking and Finance at the University of North Carolina. He is a former director of Women in Housing Finance, in Washington, D.C.
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1987
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor, B.A. with distinction, 1984
- Paul Hastings Advised Ceridian HCM in Launch of National Trust Bank Charter - January 3rd, 2023
- Citigroup Invests in Breakthrough Energy Catalyst to Accelerate the Clean Energy Transition - November 3rd, 2021
- Paul Hastings Recognized by the National Veterans Legal Services Program as Pro Bono Partner of the Year - November 26th, 2019
- Teleperformance Announces Acquisition of Intelenet from Blackstone - June 14th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Advises American Home Bank in its Voluntary Dissolution - July 1st, 2011
- United Western Bancorp Sues Office of Thrift Supervision and Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation - February 18th, 2011
- Paul Hastings Advises Harleysville National Corporation in its Acquisition by First Niagara Financial Corporation - April 19th, 2010
- Paul Hastings Advises Liberty Banshares Iowa in Agreement to Acquire Liberty Banshares Florida - February 5th, 2010
- Paul Hastings Boosts Global Banking and Financial Institutions Practice Group in Washington, D.C. - July 14th, 2008
- Proposed SEC Custody Rule Amendments Could Drive Structural Changes in the Digital Asset Industry - March 6th, 2023
- Credit Agreement Considerations for Borrowers after Russian Invasion of Ukraine - March 10th, 2022
- On Your Mark, Get Set, Get Ready to Go -- Release of National AML Priorities Means Financial Institutions Will Need to Assess, Amend Their Anti-Money Laundering Programs - July 2nd, 2021
- FDIC Finalizes Brokered Deposits Rule Promoting Bank-Fintech Partnerships - December 21st, 2020
- Federal Reserve Seeks to Further Expand Access to the Main Street Lending Program - November 2nd, 2020
- Federal Reserve Seeks to Raise Interest by Issuing Revised FAQs for Its Main Street Lending Program - September 28th, 2020
- Beware of COVID Relief Fraud - September 17th, 2020
- Federal Reserve Expands Main Street Lending Program to Nonprofit Organizations and Updates FAQs - July 20th, 2020
- CFPB Issues Final Rule Rescinding Payday Loan Mandatory Underwriting Requirements - July 15th, 2020
- Revised Volcker Rule Broadens Exclusions to Covered Funds - July 6th, 2020
- Federal Reserve Board Revises and Prepares to Open the Main Street Lending Program - June 11th, 2020
- Fueling Innovation in Times of Crisis: The Impact of COVID-19 on Fintech - May 29th, 2020
- COVID-19: Federal Reserve Board Announces It Is Expanding the Scope and Eligibility for the Main Street Lending Program - May 1st, 2020
- Overview of the Credit Facilities Implemented by the Federal Reserve to Provide up to $2.3 Trillion Relying upon its Emergency Lending Powers - April 9th, 2020
- Preparing Banks for the Next Round of Challenges While the Sun Is Still Shining - April 1st, 2020
- PH COVID-19 Client Alert Series: Overview of the Liquidity and Credit Support Programs of the CARES ACT and Implemented by the Federal Reserve (UPDATED) - March 27th, 2020
- PH COVID-19 Client Alert Series: Overview of the Liquidity and Credit Support Programs for Affected Businesses Proposed by Congress and Implemented by the Federal Reserve - March 24th, 2020
- California Deems Certain Deferred Payment Products Loans, Requiring a Lending License - January 13th, 2020
- Financial Regulators Issue Joint Guidance to Snuff Out Reporting Requirement on Legal Hemp-Related Businesses - December 13th, 2019
- Federal Regulators Propose Madden Fix - December 2nd, 2019
Engagement & Publications
- Frequent source for major media publications and financial news programs on banking matters
- Frequent public speaker on bank regulatory developments
- Author of numerous articles on financial services issues
- Co-authored Chapter 31 to E-Commerce & Internet Law –2nd Edition (2009) — "Online Financial Transactions and Payment Mechanisms."
- Served as senior attorney in the Chief Counsel’s Office of the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Office of Thrift Supervision