Mei Lian is a partner in the Financial Restructuring practice, based in London. She has a broad and extensive practice with years of experience across a wide spectrum of high-end finance transactions, which often involve cross-border features.
Ms. Lian focuses her practice on representing institutional investors, as well as corporate borrowers, issuers, private equity funds and sponsors on a wide range of finance transactions. She has particular expertise navigating complex stressed and distressed situations, advising across the entire capital structure, and utilizing various finance instruments. Ms. Lian also represents hedge funds and alternative credit providers in connection with bespoke financing transactions and distressed and restructuring investment opportunities.
- Recommended for Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency, Bank Lending: Investment Grade Debt, and Syndicated Loans and Acquisition Finance and is recognised as an "incredibly gifted" key member of the bank lending team. Sources also note, "Mei Lian has a knack for explaining complex things in a clear, easy to understand way. Her manner has often helped defuse heated negotiations and drive them to success through a constructive and business friendly ability to think out of the box." Legal 500 UK, 2020.
- Selected for the IFLR Women Leaders List for 2019-2021 by IFLR1000.
- Recognised as the best lawyer in Insolvency & Restructuring at the Euromoney Europe Women in Business Law Awards 2018.
- Magdalene College, Cambridge, B.A. (LL.B.) with honors
- Represented Nokia Corporation in connection with its €1.5 billion five-year multicurrency revolving credit facility, which included a sustainability feature tracking Nokia's key sustainability targets relating to reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Represented Piraeus Bank S.A. as originator on Project Amoeba, involving the securitization of a €1.9 billion portfolio of non-performing exposures, comprising mainly mortgage-backed loans, pursuant to the Hellenic Asset Protection Scheme (HAPS).
- Represented Carlyle Group, Goldman Sachs and LGT on a preferred equity investment for Apex Group Ltd.
- Represented The Frigoglass group in connection with the restructuring of its existing indebtedness, which included €250 million 8.25% senior notes due 2018 issued by Frigoglass Finance and over €80 million of existing bank debt across eight facilities agreements, through a scheme of arrangement.
- Represented a consortium of funds in connection with the restructuring of a portfolio of care homes in connection with the Four Seasons Healthcare Group restructuring.
- Represented Metric Capital and a consortium of investors in connection with their investment in Sanovel, a Turkish generic pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- Represented King Street Capital on its investment in FC Girondins de Bordeaux.
- Paul Hastings Received 11 Nominations for 2022 Euromoney Women in Business Law EMEA Awards - May 20th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Recognized for Excellence in Legal 500 United Kingdom 2022 - October 1st, 2021
- Piraeus Bank Completes Landmark €7.2 billion Securitisation - July 29th, 2021
- Paul Hastings advises Metric Capital in connection with the financing of Eurohold’s acquisition of CEZ - July 27th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Continues Top-Tier Talent Surge in London with Addition of Leading Energy and Infrastructure Finance Partner - August 25th, 2020
- Mei Lian and Cathleen McLaughlin Named IFLR 1000 Women Leaders - June 23rd, 2020
- Finance & Restructuring Growth Continues at Paul Hastings with Notable Partner Addition in London - May 1st, 2020