Mike Huang is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office. Mike focuses on cross-border (primarily Latin America) and domestic M&A transactions and has extensive experience advising clients in the energy, natural resources, infrastructure, and retail industries.
- IFLR1000, Notable Practitioner (2023)
- The Legal 500 USA, M&A: Large Deals $1Bn+ (2022 – 2023)
- The Legal 500 USA, Project Finance (2022)
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 2002
- University of California, Berkeley, A.B., 1999
Representative Energy and Infrastructure Experience
- Luz del Sur in the acquisition of 100% of the shares of Sojitz Arcu Investments, indirect owners of the Majes Arcus and Reparticion power plants located in Peru’s Arequipa.
- Glenfarne Group in the acquisition of Termonorte S.A.S. E.S.P., a subsidiary and public utilities company in Colombia, that has the operation of the thermal generation plant Termonorte located in Santa Marta, Magdalena, Colombia.
- Caithness Energy
- in its sale of the 845 MW Shepherds Flat wind project in Oregon to affiliates of Brookfield Renewable Partners LP
- in the U.S. $1.6 billion financing to develop an 1,875 MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle power generation facility in Guernsey County, Ohio
- in a project financing for the greenfield development of a 630 MW natural gas fire combined-cycle power generation facility located in PJM
- in multiple holdco and mezzanine financings of the Shepherds Flat wind project, an 845 MW wind project in Oregon
- in a project financing for the greenfield development of a 346 MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle power generation facility in Long Island, New York
- in multiple holdco financings of the Caithness Long Island power generation facility
- in its in its acquisition of Termovalle S.A.S. E.S.P., the largest natural gas-fired plant in Western Colombia
- in its $420 million acquisition of two gas-fired power generation assets in Colombia
- Gala Global Assets Corporation, in the sale of operational and development-stage power generation assets in Mexico to Arroyo Energy.
- YPF S.A. in the sale of a 24.99% stake in YPF Energía Eléctrica S.A., its electricity generation unit, to affiliates of GE Energy Financial Services.
- Compañía Minera Antamina S.A. (Antamina), owner and operator of one of the world's largest copper/zinc mines in Peru, in its refinancing of its $1.32 billion project financing.
- Javelin Global Commodities
- in its initial formation as a joint venture between former Goldman Sachs commodities executives, Murray Energy Corporation and Uniper Group (formerly E.ON), and related coal marketing arrangements and hedging lines of credit
- in its acquisition, with joint venture partner Murray Energy, of the Oak Grove, Seminole Alabama, and Maple Eagle mining complexes from bankrupt coal producer Mission Coal
- Infraestructura Energética Nova, S.A.B. de C.V., a subsidiary of Sempra Energy, in connection with the long-term purchase and joint venture agreements entered into with commodities trader, Trafigura, to develop a marine terminal for the receipt, storage, and delivery of refined products in Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico.
- National Road Operating and Construction Limited in its acquisition of TransJamaican Highway Limited, the owner of a 35-year concession for the Highway 2000 East-West toll corridor in Jamaica.
- Erdenes Tavan Talgoi, the state-owned Mongolian coal company, in connection with a potential international joint venture and related financing to develop the Tavan Talgoi coal deposit.
Other Representative Experience
- Flō Networks, a leading provider of digital infrastructure solutions, in its acquisition of American Tower's Mexico Fiber business, ATC Holding Fibra México, S. de R.L. de C.V., (known commercially as redIT) and its high-capacity fiber optic network covering more than 40 cities throughout Mexico.
- Foxconn Ventures Pte. Ltd., an affiliate of global technology company Hon Hai Technology Group, in a strategic partnership with Lordstown Motors Corp., with an equity investment of up to $170 million.
- Kevin Naughton, owner of SandsPoint Capital Advisors LLC, a professional services firm that provides consulting services to real estate, private equity and investment management industries, on a two step sale of the business to Apex Capital.
- Formation of Westbrook, a cross-platform holding company to execute the global content and commerce business strategy of Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith, and their family.
- Subversive Capital Acquisition Corp., a special purpose acquisition company, in connection with its business combination with Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter, Roc Nation, CMG Partners Inc., California’s leading cannabis brand and direct-to-consumer platform, and Left Coast Ventures, Inc., a predominant cannabis and hemp company.
- Jaguar Growth Partners in connection with the formation of a joint venture with JHJ Logistics Limtied to acquire Brilliant (Shanghai) Enterprise Management Consulting Co., Ltd.
- Quicorp, the parent company of Quimica Suiza and one of the largest pharmacy retail chains in Perú, in its acquisition by InRetail Perú through an international auction process. (LatinFinance's 2018 Domestic M&A Deal of the Year).
- Paul Hastings Advised Agrokasa in its Sale to Grupo HAME - September 22nd, 2023
- Paul Hastings Advised Metals Acquisition Limited in Acquisition of CSA Copper Mine from Glencore for $1.1 Billion - June 23rd, 2023
- Paul Hastings Advises Glenfarne Energy in Acquisition of Six Renewable Operating Assets in Panama and Costa Rica - May 12th, 2023
- Paul Hastings Advised Flō Networks in Acquisition of redIT - May 1st, 2023
- Paul Hastings Advises Luz del Sur in Solar Power Plant Acquisition - April 4th, 2023
- Paul Hastings Advises International Media Investments in JV with Jeff Zucker and RedBird Capital Partners - December 13th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Advises Foxconn in Strategic Partnership and Investment in Lordstown Motors - November 9th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Advises Primary Wave in a $2 Billion Partnership with Brookfield Asset Management - October 11th, 2022
- Westbrook Receives Strategic Minority Investment from Candle Media Backed by Blackstone - January 5th, 2022
- Proctor & Gamble to Acquire Farmacy Beauty - November 16th, 2021
- Foxconn and Lordstown Motors Enter Into a Transformative, Strategic Partnership - November 10th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Recognized in Legal 500 Latin America Guide - October 27th, 2021
- Foxconn to Sell 50% Class A Stake in Cybertan Technology to SCPG - April 30th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Represented Caithness Energy in Sale of 845MW Shepherd’s Flat Wind Farm - March 25th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Ranked in Top 3 International Law Firms by Latinvex - March 22nd, 2021
- Subversive Capital Acquisition Corp., Announces Transactions with Shawn “JAY-Z” Carter, Roc Nation, Caliva and Left Coast Ventures - November 25th, 2020
- Paul Hastings Recognized in Legal 500 Latin America Guide - October 21st, 2020
- Jaguar Growth Partners and JHJ Logistics Acquire Brilliant, a Leading China Logistics Property Company - March 17th, 2020
- Caithness Energy Announces $1.6 Billion Debt and Equity Financing for Guernsey Power Station - August 30th, 2019
- EnfraGen to Acquire Two Gas-Fired Power Plants in Colombia - August 19th, 2019