Morgan Miller is a partner in the Investigations and White Collar Defense practice at Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Washington, D.C. and London offices. His practice focuses on representing companies and individuals in white collar defense, anticorruption, securities enforcement, and related investigations before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, U.S. Department of Justice, U.K. Serious Fraud Office, and other international regulators. Mr. Miller's particular areas of expertise include cross-border investigations involving complex financial and accounting issues and anticorruption matters, including under the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and U.K. Bribery Act, as well as internal and special committee representations, regulatory compliance, and corporate governance. Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Miller served as counsel in the Division of Enforcement at the SEC in Washington, D.C. During his tenure.
Mr. Miller investigated and prosecuted a number of groundbreaking cases involving allegations of accounting fraud, insider trading, corruption, market manipulation, offering fraud, and regulated entity cases involving broker-dealers and investment advisors. Mr. Miller represents some of the largest multi-national companies and financial firms in multijurisdictional investigations—leading investigations in more than 40 countries throughout Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and South America. Many of these matters involve parallel investigations by the US, UK, and other international authorities. On a proactive basis, Mr. Miller regularly conducts risk assessments, transactional due diligence, and enhancements to global compliance programs. Mr. Miller’s experience spans a number of industries, including financial services, life sciences, technology, oil and gas, and defense. Mr. Miller is particularly experienced in the pharmaceutical and medical device sectors, representing multi-national companies in some of the most significant cases under the FCPA and the UK Bribery Act.
- Mr. Miller has been recognized for his innovative approach to complex investigations and significant litigation. One major corporation’s litigation team recently awarded Mr. Miller as its first ever "Hero of the Year" recipient for his outstanding representation in a high-profile FCPA investigation.
- Ethisphere 2014, "Attorneys Who Matter," Specialists – Private Practice
- Global Investigations Review 2016, "Washington DC’s Leading FCPA Practices"
- Recipient of the 2014 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., Order of the Coif, 1999
- University of California, San Diego, B.A., 1994
- Representing a large multinational company in connection with an SEC monitorship, including with respect to related enhancements to its global compliance program.
- Representing a Fortune 50 pharmaceutical and healthcare company in connection with anti-corruption investigations by the DOJ, SEC, UK Serious Fraud Office, and other government authorities involving over three dozen countries across the globe.
- Representing a multi-national pharmaceutical company in connection with its global anti-corruption/ FCPA due diligence associated with its US$16 billion acquisition of the vaccines business of another pharmaceutical company, divestiture of its oncology business, and a consumer healthcare joint venture.
- Advising a Fortune 50 life sciences company in connection with corporate governance and enhancements to its global compliance program, including a global risk assessment, third-party training, internal audit program, and third-party oversight.
- Representing a global specialist HIV company in conducting internal investigations of anti-corruption allegations in several countries, including in the CIS, Middle East, and South America.
- Representing a foreign sovereign wealth fund in an investigation of certain trading activities by the SEC. The SEC declined to take enforcement action following a lengthy investigation.
- Representing a Fortune 50 medical device company in anti-corruption investigations by the SEC and Italian authorities. The SEC declined to institute enforcement action.
- Representing a major investment bank in an investigation by the SEC and state regulators regarding mortgage and securities-related issues.
- Advising a Fortune 50 company on anti-corruption matters in China, including with respect to a joint venture and third-party sales force.
- Defending a global oil and gas corporation in the successful resolution of investigations by the DOJ and SEC regarding possible FCPA violations in its Nigerian operations.
- Representing a global manufacturer in FCPA investigations by the SEC, including conducting internal investigations in China and Europe while developing a global risk assessment. The matter favorably resolved with the SEC, which credited the Company’s response and remediation of the issues.
- Counseling a private equity fund regarding compliance and due diligence matters in the Middle East.
- Conducting an internal investigation of financial reporting issues for a national clothing manufacturer.
- Advising the audit committee of a major animal products company in conducting investigations of financial reporting, executive perquisites, and potential conflicts of interest.
- Representing a CFO of a life sciences company in an investigation by the SEC regarding financial reporting. The SEC declined to take enforcement action.
- Developing a global compliance program for a multi-national technology company.
- Representing the former CFO of a NASDAQ-listed corporation in SEC and DOJ investigations concerning allegations of accounting fraud. Investigations concluded without any criminal charges or SEC enforcement proceedings.
- Representing numerous other notable companies and executives in life sciences, technology, retail, telecommunications, and manufacturing companies in investigations by the SEC regarding financial reporting, accounting, executive compensation, and insider trading matters.
- Conducting numerous internal investigations on behalf of corporations and their Audit Committees concerning accounting, revenue recognition, disclosure, and various other securities-related issues.
- Representing life sciences, technology, and financial institutions and their officers and directors in shareholder class actions, derivative lawsuits, and other commercial litigation, including Capital One Financial, Northwestern Corporation, Dura Pharmaceuticals, Ligand Pharmaceuticals, and Semtech Corporation, among others.
- Paul Hastings Celebrated as Most Impressive Investigations Practice at Global Investigations Review’s Annual Awards - November 10th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Named to World’s Top 10 Best Investigations Practices by Global Investigations Review - October 23rd, 2020
- Paul Hastings Wins National Law Journal’s Washington, D.C. White Collar Litigation Department of the Year Award - May 29th, 2020
- Paul Hastings Investigations and White Collar Defense Practice Named Most Impressive Investigations Practice by Leading Industry Publication Global Investigations Review - October 31st, 2017
- Paul Hastings Extensive Practice Strength Highlighted in The Legal 500 United States 2013 - June 5th, 2013
- Paul Hastings Ranked Top 5 in Global Investigations Review's "The GIR 30" 2022 - November 22nd, 2022
- Paul Hastings Named 'White Collar Group of the Year' by Law360 - January 27th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Championed as Most Impressive Investigations Practice by Global Investigations Review - November 10th, 2021
- Recognized among the World’s Top 10 Best Investigations Practices by Global Investigations Review for 2020 - October 23rd, 2020
- Recognized as the National Law Journal’s Washington, D.C. White Collar Litigation Department of the Year - May 27th, 2020
- Recognized in the Global Investigations Review’s GIR 100 for 2019 - October 24th, 2019
- Recognized in the Global Investigations Review’s GIR 100 for 2018 - November 2nd, 2018
- Recognized in the Global Investigations Review’s GIR 100 for 2017 - October 27th, 2017
- Ranked by Global Investigations Review's coverage of Washington DC’s FCPA Bar - August 22nd, 2016
- Winner of 2014 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing - April 30th, 2014
- No Longer a ‘Nice to Have’: ESG and What it Means for Life Sciences Companies - July 11th, 2022
- Biden Administration’s Central America Initiatives to Include Focused FCPA Enforcement - June 15th, 2021
- The ESG Corporate Governance Imperative - May 10th, 2021
- Immediate Steps to Consider as SEC Task Force Targets ESG Reporting - March 15th, 2021
- Approaching Self-Reporting & Co-operation Standards in U.S., U.K. & French Enforcement - December 15th, 2020
- U.K. Serious Fraud Office Publishes Comprehensive New Guidance on Deferred Prosecution Agreements - October 27th, 2020
- Evolution not Revolution: DOJ and SEC Update The FCPA Resource Guide - July 8th, 2020
- PH COVID-19 Client Alert Series: Rethinking Approaches to Detecting and Investigating for Life Sciences Companies - April 13th, 2020
- PH COVID-19 Client Alert Series: Issues for Private Fund Managers in the Age of COVID-19 - March 17th, 2020
- What the SFO Looks For in a Compliance Programme—New Guidance Published January 2020 - January 23rd, 2020
- Delayed Consequences—Mexico Seeks Damages Long After FCPA Resolution - November 14th, 2019
- New UK Serious Fraud Office Co-operation Guidance: From Avoiding “Trampled Crime Scenes” to Helping Secure Admissible Evidence - August 13th, 2019
- Going, Going, Gone: First Law of the Trump Administration Repeals Regulations Implementing Section 1504 Reporting Requirements for Payments to Governments by Oil, Gas, and Mining Companies - February 15th, 2017
- Private Fund Report—Summary of Key Developments—Winter 2016 - January 3rd, 2017
- Gift Giving and Insider Trading: The Supreme Court Rules in Government’s Favor in Significant Insider Trading Case - December 7th, 2016
- Latin America’s Headline: Anti-Corruption - December 5th, 2016
- Teva Pharmaceuticals Announces a Reserve of $520M in View of What Stands to Be the Fourth Largest FCPA Resolution to Date - November 17th, 2016
- Winter Is Coming: Responding to a Chilling Enforcement Landscape in Russia - October 21st, 2016
- FCPA Enforcement: Tech Companies and the Pilot Program - September 23rd, 2016
- They Keep Coming: The SEC Enters a $5.5M Settlement with AstraZeneca PLC Resolving FCPA Allegations - September 12th, 2016
Engagement & Publications
- Mr. Miller lectures and publishes regularly and is often quoted in articles on securities enforcement, anti-corruption, and legal ethics issues published by Bloomberg, Ethisphere, Law360, Los Angeles Times, Main Justice, Reuters, and the Wall Street Journal, among other leading publications.
- Co-Author of the Bloomberg/BNA treatise, Responding to Corporate Criminal Investigations.
- Contributing author of the Global Law and Business treatise, Anti-corruption Laws and Regulations (United Kingdom).