Neil Torpey is a partner in the Corporate Department of Paul Hastings. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital, and capital markets matters. He serves as chair of our Hong Kong office and also is resident in our New York office, and has served as vice-chair of our global Corporate Department and as a member of our Policy Committee, our Recruiting Committee and our Partnership Evaluation Committee.
Mr. Torpey has extensive experience in the representation of public and private business organizations in connection with public and private mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, securities offerings, and private equity and venture capital transactions; the representation of sponsors and investors in connection with the establishment of private equity funds; the representation of investment banks and issuers in capital markets transactions; and the representation of companies as general counsel in connection with a variety of corporate and commercial matters. He has had extensive experience structuring and executing transactions in the U.S., Asia, Latin America and Europe.
- Consistently listed as a leading lawyer in Chambers Asia and in Asia Pacific Legal 500
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 1985
- Colgate University, B.A. (cum laude), 1982
- Nova Infrastructure Partners, an infrastructure-focused private equity investment firm, in its investment in telMAX, Inc., a fiber network operator providing data, voice and video services in the Greater Toronto Area of Ontario, Canada.
- Representing Novacap Technologies V, L.P. and Novacap Technologies VI, L.P., and affiliated co-investors, in connection with the acquisition of Horizon Telcom, Inc., a telecommunications and fiber network services provider, and related debt financing; and in connection with subsequent add-on acquisitions and financing transactions.
- Represented Novacap Technologies III, L.P. and Novacap Technologies IV, L.P., technology- and telecom-focused private equity funds, in connection with the acquisition of Oxford Networks, Inc., a diversified telecommunications and data center services provider, and related debt financing; the subsequent acquisition of Utel Inc./Freedom Ring Communications, LLC, a telecommunications and fiber network services provider, and related debt financing; and the sale of Oxford Networks, Inc. to affiliates of Oak Hill Capital Partners.
- Represented UBS Securities LLC and Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC in connection with $340 million SPAC IPO and NASDAQ listing by Artisan Acquisition Corp.
- China Bohai Bank, a nationwide joint-stock commercial bank in China, on its US$1.77 billion global offering and listing of its H Shares on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. CCB International, Haitong International, ABCI Capital and CLSA acted as the joint sponsors.
- Credit Suisse, Morgan Stanley, and ICBC International Capital as joint sponsors in the US$381 million global initial public offering and listing on the Main Board of The Hong Kong Stock Exchange of JS Global Lifestyle, a Chinese small appliance manufacturer which is a portfolio company of leading PRC-based private equity investor CDH Investments.
- Represented CDH Investments and affiliated investors in connection with the acquisition of Euro-Pro Holdco, LLC, parent of entities manufacturing and distributing SharkNinja consumer products, and related commercial joint ventures in China.
- Representing Morgan Stanley, UBS, JPMorgan, Credit Suisse and Bank of America Merrill Lynch, as well as numerous issuers, respectively, in global equity offerings including Hong Kong IPOs, Rule 144A/Reg S offerings and SPAC IPOs.
- Represented a global real estate private equity firm in the establishment of several Asia-focused real estate private equity funds involving over $2.0 billion in capital commitments.
- Represented consortia of private equity and strategic investors in connection with acquisitions of data center businesses in the U.S., Europe, Asia and Latin America.
- Representing a Middle East-based sovereign wealth fund in establishing an Asia-focused private equity fund for artificial intelligence-related investments.
- Representing various family offices in initiating, managing and exiting private investments, including via IPO and through M&A transactions with private and public companies.
- Paul Hastings Recognized as Top Asia-related SPAC Legal Adviser in Asia Business Law Journal League Table - December 2nd, 2021
- Paul Hastings Recognized with M&A Deal of the Year at ALB Hong Kong Law Awards 2021 - September 13th, 2021
- AEW Capital Management Raises Over $1.5 Billion for its Fourth Asia Pacific Value-Add Fund - September 13th, 2021
- Financial Times Recognizes Paul Hastings For Innovation in Asia-Pacific - May 20th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Recognized at China Business Law Awards 2021 - May 18th, 2021
- Credit Suisse and UBS Serve as Joint Book-Running Managers for Artisan Acquisition Corp.’s $300 Million SPAC IPO - May 18th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Recognized at China Law & Practice Awards 2020 - October 19th, 2020
- Paul Hastings Named Real Estate Law Firm of the Year by ALB China Law Awards 2020 - September 21st, 2020
- China Bohai Bank Completes US$1.77 Billion Hong Kong IPO - July 16th, 2020
- JS Global Debuts in US$381 Million Hong Kong IPO - December 18th, 2019
- AEW Capital Management Raises $1.12 Billion for New Fund Focused on Asia Real Estate - July 30th, 2018
- Novacap Completes Acquisition of Horizon Telecom - June 15th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Acts for Novacap in Agreement to Acquire Horizon Telecom - January 31st, 2018
- Paul Hastings Represents Caladrius Biosciences, Inc. in Sale of its Subsidiary PCT to Hitachi Chemical Co America, Ltd. - May 18th, 2017
- AEW Capital Management Closes New Fund Focused on Asia Real Estate - September 12th, 2016
- Oxford Networks Acquired by Oak Hill - June 30th, 2016
- Shanghai Electric’s Sale of Goss International to a U.S. Private Equity Fund - September 29th, 2015
- Paul Hastings Represents NeoStem in Public Offering of Common Stock - June 2nd, 2015
- Paul Hastings Advises on Three Hong Kong IPOs - November 29th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Advises Placement Agents on Ayala Lands Share Sale - July 19th, 2012
- Chart: Preferred Stock in Private Equity Transactions -- Key Characteristics - July 14th, 2017
- An Executive’s Guide to Defeating the SOX 304 Clawback (Part 2) - March 27th, 2017
- An Executive’s Guide to Defeating the SOX 304 Clawback (Part I) - March 27th, 2017
- Recent SEC Enforcement Action Merits a Second Look by Private Equity Firms and Fundless Sponsors at Broker-Dealer Registration - June 20th, 2016
- Non-U.S. Investment Crowdfunding Platforms Can Offer Securities to U.S. Investors under Current Securities Laws - May 16th, 2016
- SEC Finalizes “Flexible” Pay Ratio Disclosure Rules Under the Dodd-Frank Act: Companies Have Choices to Make - August 10th, 2015
- China Matters: Beijing Adopts New Measures to Ease Restrictions in the Real Estate Market - February 24th, 2009
- Safety Deposit - December 4th, 2008
- Implementing Regulations of Enterprise Income Tax Law Implemented in China - February 11th, 2008
- China Matters: 2007 Review - February 7th, 2008
- China Matters: China Issues New Foreign Investment Restrictions - November 28th, 2007
- China Matters: New Regulations on Laws Governing Civil/Commercial Contracts - October 3rd, 2007
- China Matters: China to Scrutinize Current Account Forex Transactions - October 23rd, 2006
- China Matters: The 'Equity Swap' - China's New Landscape for Mergers and Acquisitions and Overseas IPOs - August 15th, 2006
- China Matters: China Plans Widespread Protections for Employees - June 30th, 2006
- China Matters: Paving the Way for Onshore Acquisitions of State-owned Assets - April 10th, 2006
- China Matters: Are LBOs Coming to China? - March 15th, 2006
- China Matters: China Encourages Formation of Domestic Investment Funds - November 3rd, 2005
- China Matters: China Re-opens Door to Invest in Offshore Holding Vehicles - November 2nd, 2005
- China Matters: The Eight Essential Features of Private Equity in China - November 1st, 2005
- Member, Board of Directors, BOCI-Prudential Trustee Limited (a joint venture of The Bank of China and Prudential)
- Member, Board of Directors, Colgate University Alumni Corporation
- Member, Board of Directors, Friends of Kellett School
- Member, Hong Kong Institute of Chartered Secretaries -- Technical Consultation Panel
- Prior experience includes service as a member of the staff of United States Senator Bill Bradley, and of the United States Federal Reserve Board
- Advisor, Cornell Law School Tech LLM Program
- Adjunct Professor, Cornell Tech Program