Nicole Dania Lueddeke
Associate, Litigation Department
Los AngelesPhone: 1(213) 683-6116
Nicole Dania Lueddeke is an associate in the Litigation Department and is based in the firm’s Los Angeles office. She focuses her practice on complex litigation and cross-border disputes including white collar defense, anti-corruption and bribery, securities litigation, and compliance. Ms. Lueddeke defends corporations and high-profile individuals in civil and criminal cases and advises on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), State Attorney General consumer protection statutes, and regulatory proceedings in government investigations involving United States Department of Justice (DOJ) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) enforcement.
In both state and federal courts, Ms. Lueddeke represents a broad range of domestic and international clients including multinational biopharmaceutical, medical technology and device, and life sciences companies in the Americas, Europe and Asia. She has extensive experience in all stages of litigation from pre-filing through trial and appeal, and handles all stages of state and federal investigations from pre-indictment and pre-disclosure through resolution.
Ms. Lueddeke maintains an active pro bono practice and was part of the trial team in the “Fat Leonard” corruption scandal securing a significant jury win for the client, co-honoree of The National Law Journal Pro Bono Hot List distinction for the groundbreaking settlement in Phillips v. State of California, and co-honoree of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Southern California Homeless Rights Advocacy Award.
Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Ms. Lueddeke served as judicial law clerk to The Honorable Otis D. Wright II of the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
- Best Lawyers, Ones to Watch in America: Commercial Litigation (2023, 2022)
- American Bar Association, "On the Rise – Top 40 Young Lawyers" Award (2022)
- The American Lawyers, West Trailblazers (2022)
- Los Angeles Business Journal, Women’s Leadership Award (2022, 2021)
- Super Lawyers Magazine, Southern California Rising Stars: White Collar Defense (2022, 2021)
- Daily Journal, Top White Collar Lawyers in California (2021)
- Los Angeles Business Journal, Leaders in Law Award (2021)
- National Trial Lawyers, Criminal Defense Top 40 Under 40 (2021)
- Represents $5.4B Japanese multinational medical device company in DOJ investigation related to alleged FCPA violations in the Americas, Europe and Asia. This is one of the first voluntary disclosures out of this critical market with on-going investigations related to alleged kickback scheme involving a sub-distributor network and alleged improper benefits provided personnel.
- Defended retired naval officer in alleged conspiracy, bribery and fraud charges involving entanglements with Singapore-based military contractor known as the "Fat Leonard" sandal. Following a five-month jury trial and multi-year investigation of the reported "worst corruption scandal in the history of the Navy," defense secured a significant trial victory resulting in not guilty verdicts on all counts for the client.
- Represented U.S. biopharmaceutical company in investigation by SEC’s Enforcement Division related to potential SOX, Dodd Frank, insider trading, and other securities fraud claims related to clinical trial results, disclosures, and material non-public information.
- Counseled prestigious private university in highly-publicized college admissions "Varsity Blues" scandal involving joint FBI and DOJ investigations of alleged mail fraud, honest-services mail fraud, and money laundering.
- Represents $4.6B multinational medical technology company in joint investigations by DOJ and SEC’s Enforcement Division regarding grant-making activities and FCPA compliance in Japan.
- Defended multiple CEOs and CFOs against alleged scienter-based violations brought by SEC’s Enforcement Division, where none received officer and director bar or Rule 506(d) bad actor disqualification:
- Dismissed all scienter and negligence-based violations (Section17(a)(1) – (3), Section 10(b), and Rule 10b–5) related to CFO of multi-billion dollar information technology company, which SEC contended was engaged in improper accounting practices from internal control failures, which led to company prematurely reporting revenue and understating expenses.
- Dismissed all scienter and negligence-based violations (Section17(a)(1) – (3)) related to CFO of publicly-traded global apparel and footwear company which SEC contended should have disclosed that the fair value of its indefinite-lived intangible assets were, more likely than not, impaired, as value of trademarks at liquidation were lower than current carrying values.
- Secured win for co-founder and CEO of crowdsourcing NNN REIT fund for non-accredited investors by dismissing scienter-based Section 15(a) violation and strict liability Section 5(b)(1) violation, where SEC alleged client was unregistered broker-dealer and was both necessary participant and substantial factor in sale of unregistered security.
- Represented leading mobile streaming-video platform that raised over $1B in pre-launch in creating and developing its international anti-bribery policy, anti-corruption and FCPA compliance program, and integration protocol.
- Counseled CFO of $2.5B information technology company in SEC investigation for alleged involvement in fraudulent accounting practices of improperly recording multi-millions in revenue, in violation of GAAP.
- Counseled financial banking firm in DOJ proceedings related to civil asset forfeiture of major real estate holdings allegedly purchased with proceeds from foreign corruption offenses and laundered through United States. After presenting to DOJ, it was found that bank was an innocent owner of real estate holdings.
- Represented technology investment fund (Asia market) in securing judgment of $415M arbitration award in initial action, secondary action, and appeal relating to formation of international entity. Successfully argued five motions in Los Angeles County Superior Court before the Honorable Judge Randolph M. Hammock.
- Represented SVP of global private banking group in Switzerland, who generated billions of dollars for bank in private client business originating from Russia, in action involving DOJ investigation into Swiss bank secrecy law violations.
- Counseled Co-founder, Chairman, and Chief Investment Officer of a venture capital hedge fund in the investigation by DOJ Special Counsel Robert Mueller relating to the alleged knowledge of, and participation in, key meetings between President Donald Trump advisors and Russian and United Arab Emirates officials. Reviewed highly confidential communications with Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump, Eric Prince, George Nader, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, and the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi for investigative interviews. Defended client before Mueller’s Special Counsel on three separate occasions.
- Defended national law firm in third-party criminal investigation of international telecom mobile provider in matters regarding potential federal prosecution for tax evasion and fraud.
- Defended national real estate development company in action involving fraud claims brought by multiple parties in multiple lawsuits for allegedly defective structural design, construction, and development of mixed-use skyscraper.
- Represented Founder and Managing Partner of commercial real estate development firm in matters regarding DOJ investigation relating to bribery of government official and alleged losses exceeding $40M.
- Defended publicly traded international restaurant chain in connection with federal criminal investigation relating to violations of food safety practices.
- Represented Delaware investment fund in $50M breach of contract and declaratory relief dispute concerning holographic display advertising for national retail chain.
- Nicole Lueddeke Named Among 2023 “Women of Influence: Attorneys” by Los Angeles Business Journal - April 17th, 2023
- Paul Hastings Wins Dismissal of All Charges Against Former Rear Admiral Bruce Loveless - September 16th, 2022
- The American Lawyer Names Paul Hastings’ Nicole Lueddeke a 2022 West Trailblazer - August 9th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Secures Trial Victory for Retired Rear Admiral Bruce Loveless - July 22nd, 2022
- Paul Hastings’ Nicole Lueddeke Named a 2022 Top 40 Young Lawyer by the American Bar Association - July 6th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Celebrated as Most Impressive Investigations Practice at Global Investigations Review’s Annual Awards - November 10th, 2021
- ACLU Reaches Historic Settlement on Access to Public Defense with State of California and Fresno County - January 11th, 2020
- ACLU Reaches Historic Pact on Homelessness with City of Laguna Beach - June 6th, 2018
- Nicole Lueddeke Named Among 2023 “Women of Influence: Attorneys” by Los Angeles Business Journal - April 17th, 2023
- Nicole Lueddeke Named a 2022 West Trailblazer by The American Lawyer - August 9th, 2022
- Nicole Lueddeke Named a 2022 Top 40 Young Lawyer - July 6th, 2022
- Nicole Lueddeke Named 'Top White Collar Lawyer' by Daily Journal - December 2nd, 2021
- Sign on the Dotted Line: Compliance Certifications by CEOs and CCOs A Likely Requirement - July 26th, 2022
- The Life Sciences & Healthcare Industry: The State AG Perspective - July 26th, 2021
- From Lockdown to a Showdown: What Questions Should Companies Consider Pertaining to the Authority of the Federal or State Governments to “Reopen” the Economy? - April 22nd, 2020
Engagement & Publications
- Podcast: "Paul Hastings: Ethnicity & Intersectionality." Chambers Associate (2 May 2022)
- Panelist: "Taking the Steps to Federal Court." Federal Bar Association (17 February 2022)
- Moderator: "State Attorneys General Investigations." Paul Hastings Investigations and White Collar Defense, Best Practices Series (10 November 2021)
- Gary F. Giampetruzzi, Anthony Jannotta, Jane H. Yoon, and Nicole Dania Lueddeke. "The Life Sciences & Healthcare Industry: The State AG Perspective." Paul Hastings Client Alerts (26 July 2021)
- Moderator: "Defining Your Impact as a Leader." Paul Hastings Global Diversity & Inclusion Women’s Initiative, Panel Series (31 March 2021)
- Gary Giamperuzzi, Antony Jannotta, and Nicole Lueddeke. "Pharma Industry Can Expect More Scrutiny From State AGs." Law360 (24 March 2021)
- Daniel Prince, Scott Carlton, and Nicole D. Lueddeke. "From Lockdown to a Showdown: "What Questions Should Companies Consider Pertaining to the Authority of the Federal or State Governments to 'Reopen' the Economy?" Lexology (15 September 2020)
- Nicolas Morgan, Robert Silvers, and Nicole Lueddeke. "INSIGHT: Cybercrime is Rising–How to Protect Your Financial Firm." Bloomberg Law (4 June 2020)
- Thomas P. O’Brien, Nicole D. Lueddeke, and Adam G. Berger. "The Attorney Proffer and the Increased Risk of Waiving Work Product Protection." California Bar Journal (31 May 2018)
- Thomas A. Zaccaro, Nicolas Morgan, D. Scott Carlton, and Nicole D. Lueddeke. "Searching for Fraud on the Market." Daily Journal (19 March 2018)
- Vice-chair of firm’s Summer Associate Committee
- Co-chair of Paul Hastings Affinity Network’s (PHAN) Global Diversity and Inclusion Council, Los Angeles Women's Network
- Certification in Healthcare Compliance Program with a Specialization in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- Member of firm’s Steering Committee, Los Angeles Regional Food Bank
- Member of firm’s Talent Development Committee
- Federal Bar Association, Los Angeles Chapter, Litigation Section
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Los Angeles
- Pro Bono Attorney for KIND (Kids in Need of Defense) serving as legal counsel to unaccompanied immigrant children in the United States
- Co-honoree of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Southern California 2017 Homeless Rights Advocacy Award
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section