Patrick Newsum is an associate attorney in the Corporate practice group at Paul Hastings in the Century City office, focusing on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, and general corporate transactions across a number of industries. His practice includes representing public and private companies, private equity firms, preferred equity investors, high net-worth individuals, and emerging companies from the term sheet phase to closing. Mr. Newsum has extensive experience in U.S. and international acquisitions, financings, and corporate guidance in the technology, manufacturing, finance, media, and renewable energy sectors. Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Newsum was an associate at another large law firm in New York.
Mr. Newsum is admitted to practice law only in New York and is not admitted in California.
- Named as one of Super Lawyer’s Rising Stars for the New York Business and Corporate distinction in 2020 and 2021.
- Published in Chicago-Kent Journal of Environmental and Energy Law, "Blocking the Sun with a Cloud of Tariffs: The Solar Trade War with China, Subsidy Concerns and Market-Based Remedies" (2012).
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D. 2014
- University of Kansas, B.A. (with Honors, Phi Beta Kappa), English and Philosophy, 2011
- Represented a global private equity firm in a go-private transaction of a publicly traded restaurant holding company. Representation included negotiation with credit lenders and subsequent PIPE investment in addition to purchase agreement. Total transaction value: $550 million.
- Represented a national private equity firm in a preferred majority investment in a retail technology company and related investors’ rights agreements in a preferred investment valued in excess of $150 million.
- Represented a chief executive officer and lead investor in a go-private transaction with respect to rollover interests and private limited partnership agreement. Total rollover value: $1.8 billion.
- Advised the special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) sponsor in establishing and negotiating the credit facilities for six distinct SPACs. Total credit facility value: $800 million. SPAC business combination value in excess of $1.5 billion.
- Represented an international news media company in a divestiture of a wholly owned subsidiary technology company in negotiating both financing and transactional documents. Total sale amount: $150 million.
- Senior and mid-level associate representing renewable energy companies and private equity investors in purchase of existing solar and wind production facilities. Transaction value: $250 million.