Peter Burke is a partner in the Global Finance group and is based in the Firm’s office in Los Angeles. His practice is focused on commercial and corporate finance, asset-based lending, restructurings, and other lending transactions. Mr. Burke has represented numerous banks, commercial finance companies and other alternative lenders in establishing asset-based facilities, cash flow facilities, multi-tranche and multi-lien facilities for acquisitions, recapitalizations, and working capital facilities in both cross-border and U.S. focused transactions. Mr. Burke also has substantial experience in complex commercial reorganizations, and insolvency matters, including in connection with out of court restructurings, debtor in possession and exit financings and sales of assets of distressed companies, and has represented numerous lenders in connection with such restructuring transactions. Mr. Burke is widely recognized in the market, including by Chambers USA as a leading lawyer for Banking & Finance.
Mr. Burke has experience in various business sectors, including manufacturing, vehicle and vessel transportation, logistics, retail, wholesale, healthcare investment, real estate development, and software. He also has extensive experience in negotiating intercreditor agreements, subordination agreements, uni-tranche structures and other related documentation in numerous facilities.
- Named by Chambers USA to the list of leading attorneys in the United States for Banking and Finance (2009-2020)
- 40 under 40 Award Finalist (M&A Advisor)
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1996
- College of William and Mary, B.A., 1993
- Bank of America, BMO Capital Markets, Wells Fargo Securities, Wells Fargo Bank, and Macquarie Capital as joint lead arrangers and joint bookrunners on the financing for Southwire Company’s acquisition of Coleman Cable, Inc. The financing consisted of a US$750 million senior secured term loan facility and a US$1 billion senior secured asset-based revolving facility.
- Bank of America as administrative agent, joint lead arranger, and joint bookrunner on the financing for the acquisition of certain assets of TLP Energy LLC and Blue Eagle Energy, by NFR Energy. The financing consisted of a new US$500 million second lien facility. Wells Fargo Bank as administrative agent to the ninth amendment to the US$750 million amended and restated credit agreement dated as of April 28, 2009.
- Wells Fargo Bank as lead arranger and agent on the US$75 million ABL facility, secured by a first lien on the receivables and a second lien on all other assets of the company, for ValleyCrest Companies.
- City National Bank: We represented City National Bank as agent, arranger, and lender on the US$150 million revolver credit facility for Kayne Anderson Capital Advisors, an alternative investment company.
- Wells Fargo Capital Finance as agent and lender on the amendment and restatement of their existing facility with Campus Management Corp. The credit facility included a revolving credit facility of US$5 million and a term loan facility of US$40 million. TPG Specialty Lending acted as an additional term loan lender and held US$30 million of the term loan.
- Wells Fargo Capital Finance as agent and a lender on the US$100 million ABL credit facility for Crowley Petroleum Distribution.
- Wells Fargo Bank as administrative agent, lead arranger, and bookrunner on a credit facility to borrowers Graham Gulf and C & G Boat Works. The credit facility consisted of a US$50 million revolving loan, with Wells Fargo Bank holding US$30 million and Regions Bank holding US$20 million.
- Wells Fargo Capital Finance as agent and a lender on the credit facility consisting of a US$100 million revolver and US$25 million accordion for Stillwater Mining Company.
- Paul Hastings Ranked as Top Three Firm for New Rankings and Recognized for Numerous Practice Strength and Growth in Chambers USA 2021 - May 21st, 2021
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2020 - May 1st, 2020
- Bumble Bee Receives $200 Million Credit Facility from Wells Fargo - November 25th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2019 - May 1st, 2019
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2018 - May 11th, 2018
- Bass Pro Shops Secures $4.745 Billion Loan; Finalizes Acquisition of Cabela’s - September 25th, 2017
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2017 - June 5th, 2017
- Paul Hastings Advises Banks on Financing for Innocor Acquisition - December 19th, 2016
- BofA Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo Securities LLC and Other Major Banks Provide $5.1 Billion Financing for Bass Pro Shops’ Acquisition of Cabela’s - October 3rd, 2016
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2016 - June 8th, 2016
- Wells Fargo Completes Acquisition of GE’s North American Corporate Finance Business - March 1st, 2016
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2015 - May 20th, 2015
- Paul Hastings Advises Banks on Financing Mattress Firm’s Purchase of The Sleep Train - October 20th, 2014
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2014 - May 27th, 2014
- Paul Hastings Represents Lenders in Closing the Financing of Southwires Acquisition of Coleman Cable, Inc - February 18th, 2014
- Paul Hastings Represents Banks in Financing Southwire's Acquisition of Coleman Cable, Inc. - December 20th, 2013
- Paul Hastings Employment Practice Honored with Chambers ''Award for Excellence'' and Firms Leading Practices and Lawyers Ranked in Chambers USA 2013 - May 27th, 2013
- Paul Hastings Excels in Chambers USA 2012 Guide - June 7th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Represents Wells Fargo Capital Finance in Financing for Crowley Petroleum Distribution, Inc - February 13th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Advises City National Bank as Lender in $2 Billion Senior Credit Facility - July 29th, 2011
- The coming revolution in global electric power - March 1st, 2021
- Borrower in Distress? A Toolboxfor Secured Lenders - October 5th, 2016
- Comparing Intercreditor Arrangements - May 19th, 2015
- Ninth Circuit Holds Jury Waiver in Agreement Governed by California Law Unenforceable in Federal Court Where Federal Jurisdiction Is Based on Diversity of Citizenship - May 19th, 2015
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York Holds That a UCC-3 Filing Without Authorization is No Filing At All - March 28th, 2013
Engagement & Publications
- Co-author of "The Coming Revolution of Global Electric Power" – The M&A Journal (December 2020/January/February 2021)
- Co-author of "Borrower in Distress? A Toolbox for Secured Lenders" – Secured Lender (October 2016)
- Co-author of "Comparing Intercreditor Arrangements" – LSTA Loan Market Chronicle (2015)
- "UCC Foreclosures on Collateral: Effecting a Sale and Evaluating Article 9 Alternatives" – Strafford Webinar (November 17, 2014)
- Co-author of "Certainty of Execution – Asset-Based Lending in Leveraged Finance" – ABF Journal (May/June 2013)
- Member of the Financial Lawyers Conference and the California State Bar Association
- Served as a member of the Uniform Commercial Code Committee for the Business Law Section of the California State Bar
- Served as the judicial law clerk to the Honorable Stephen Derby, United States Bankruptcy Judge, District of Maryland