Philip N. Feder
Senior Counsel, Real Estate Department
Century CityPhone: 1(310) 620-5740
Philip N. Feder is a partner and former chair of the Global Real Estate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Century City office. He concentrates his practice in the area of real estate, hotel, and hospitality transactions, both domestic and international, with emphasis in finance, acquisitions, and dispositions, and real estate loan workouts and restructurings. He has extensive experience representing U.S.-based based investors on transactions in Europe, the U.S., Asia, and the Middle East. He recently practiced in the London office of Paul Hastings, where he managed that office and represented some of the major real estate private equity funds on their European investments.
Mr. Feder’s practice has emphasized the representation of private and institutional real estate investors and lenders such as pension funds, investment banks, commercial banks, opportunity funds, and insurance companies, both public and private.
His practice has concentrated in the area of acquisitions of debt instruments, real property financing, acquisitions, workouts, and restructurings, together with international joint venture transactions. His experience also includes the documentation of new real estate lending techniques, together with the representation of real estate developers in leasing, purchase and sale, and other development transactions.
- The Legal 500 USA, Hall Of Fame, Real Estate (2020-2022)
- Chambers USA, Ranked in Band 2 for Southern California Real Estate (2015-2022)
- The Daily Journal, Real Estate Dealmakers of the Year (2011)
- Legal Media Group, Top Real Estate Lawyers (2010)
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1979 (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and Moot Court Executive, member)
- Stanford University, A.B. (with honors), 1976
- Representation of funds controlled by Oaktree Capital Management on the acquisition and financing of portfolios of multifamily properties totaling $2 billion in value.
- Representation of JRK Property Holdings in connection with the acquisition and financing of multifamily properties totaling $1.5 billion in value.
- Representation of funds controlled by Oaktree Capital Management on the acquisition and financing of three large single family home developments.
- Representation of The Related Companies on the equity and debt financing of a 300-unit apartment project in Santa Monica, California.
- Representation of TPG on the acquisition of a portfolio of properties in the western United States from Prologis.
- Representation of The Related Companies on the financing of the flagship residential complex, The Century, in Los Angeles, California.
- Representation of Paulson & Co. on the acquisition of 769 acres of land in Riverside County, California.
- Representation of Clayton St. Louis Property LLC on the acquisition and financing of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Representation of Mack Urban on the acquisition of six acres of real property in downtown Los Angeles.
- Representation of major sovereign wealth funds on the acquisition of various prominent real estate assets, including major hospitality and office projects.
- Paul Hastings Ranked as Top Three Firm for New Rankings and Recognized for Numerous Practice Strength and Growth in Chambers USA 2021 - May 21st, 2021
- Paul Hastings Named ‘Real Estate Group of the Year’ by Law360 - December 23rd, 2020
- Paul Hastings Recognized for Legal Excellence in Legal 500 US 2020 - July 24th, 2020
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2020 - May 1st, 2020
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2019 - May 1st, 2019
- QuadReal and T5 Data Centers Launch $2.5 Billion Platform for Data Center Investment - April 29th, 2019
- Los Angeles Philharmonic Unveils Frank Gehry Design for Youth Orchestra Center - August 15th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2018 - May 11th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2017 - June 5th, 2017
- China Life Forms Strategic Partnership with ElmTree Funds for Acquisition of US$950 Million U.S. Commercial Real Estate Net Lease Portfolio - May 24th, 2017
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2016 - June 8th, 2016
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2015 - May 20th, 2015
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2014 - May 27th, 2014
- Leading UK Real Estate Partner David Ryland Joins Paul Hastings - November 4th, 2013
- Paul Hastings Launches Data Center Practice - June 27th, 2013
- Paul Hastings Extensive Practice Strength Highlighted in The Legal 500 United States 2013 - June 5th, 2013
- Paul Hastings Employment Practice Honored with Chambers ''Award for Excellence'' and Firms Leading Practices and Lawyers Ranked in Chambers USA 2013 - May 27th, 2013
- Paul Hastings Represents Oaktree Capital Management in NPL Securitization - October 2nd, 2012
- Paul Hastings Excels in Chambers USA 2012 Guide - June 7th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Represents Related California in Construction of The Village at Santa Monica - March 7th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Recognized for Legal Excellence in the Legal 500 2022 - June 13th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Real Estate Practice Recognized by Chambers USA 2022 - June 1st, 2022
- Paul Hastings' Real Estate Practice Awarded Top Tier Ranking in 2021 Legal 500 U.S. Guide - June 18th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Recognized for Legal Excellence in Legal 500 2021 - June 15th, 2021
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2021 - May 21st, 2021
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2020 - May 1st, 2020
- Ranked by Chambers USA 2019 - April 26th, 2019
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2018 - May 15th, 2018
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2017 - June 5th, 2017
- Law360 2016 Practice Group of the Year - February 15th, 2017
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2016 - June 8th, 2016
- The Daily Journal's Top 50 Real Estate Development Attorneys 2014 - August 14th, 2014
- Daily Journal - February 23rd, 2011
- Legal Media Group - May 15th, 2010
- Philip Feder and Rick Kirkbride Named in Daily Journal's Top 100 Lawyers in California - September 17th, 2008
- COVID-19 Paul Hastings LLP Hospitality & Leisure Client Alert - March 16th, 2020
- Reinventing the Retailing Model: A Tale of Two Futures - December 5th, 2017
- Asian Real Estate Investment Outlook - Top 5 Trends to Follow in 2015 - January 15th, 2015
- What are the major trends emerging for Asian cross-border investment into the U.S.? - November 17th, 2014
- What are the emerging critical trends in global real estate investment? - May 16th, 2014
- Global Real Estate Trends and Developments - Looking Back at 2013 and Whats Ahead for 2014 - November 21st, 2013
- The Global Outlook for Real Estate - May 14th, 2013
- Global Real Estate Forecast for 2013 - February 28th, 2013
- Real Estate and Distressed Debt Outlook 2012 - January 16th, 2012
- Aftermath and Revival: Developments in Distressed Debt Acquisition and Revival of Real Estate Debt Markets - October 1st, 2010
- Bankruptcy or Recovery? The Future of the Global Real Estate Market - June 9th, 2010
- Real Estate: Global Asset Class, Local Opportunities - September 22nd, 2009
- Unfogging Real Estate Capital Structures - March 17th, 2009
- Hospitality Report - Winter 2008 - 2009 - January 1st, 2009
Engagement & Publications
- Moderator, "A view from the top: insights from PERE 50 fund managers," PERE Investor Forum Los Angeles, April 2018
- Sovereign Wealth Funds seminar, American College of Real Estate Lawyers conference, March 2012
- Moderator, Hotels 2012, USC Lusk conference, March 2012
- Member of the California and New York bars
- Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers