Phoebe Yan is a litigation partner based in our Shanghai office. Her practice focuses on life science, white-collar crime and internal investigations, government enforcement actions, and dispute resolution. Ms. Yan specializes in cross-border compliance and contentious matters.
Ms. Yan is admitted to practice law in New York. She also passed the bar in China in 2013 and has a Chinese practicing license, but the license is currently not in active status due to local regulatory requirements. Before joining Paul Hastings, Ms. Yan worked at a full-service Chinese law firm and an international law firm.
- The University of Iowa, College of Law, J.D., 2010
- Peking University, B.A., 2006
- Representing U.S. and European pharmaceutical, medical devices, technology, and consumer products companies regarding anti-corruption and anti-bribery issues before the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission.
- Conducting China-wide, cross-business internal investigations on behalf of several major multinational pharmaceutical and medical devices manufacturers.
- Representing various U.S. and European life science companies, automotive products manufacturers, and oil and gas companies in commercial bribery and competition law investigations and dawn raids by Chinese authorities.
- Advising multinational and Chinese companies on compliance, contract, and employment issues related to whistle-blower claims, third-party business partner disputes, and conflict of interests investigations.
- Performing compliance trainings and M&A compliance due diligence.
- Tried a recognition and enforcement of Hong Kong arbitral award case before a Beijing court. The case was selected as the Top 10 model enforcement cases by the Supreme People’s Court of China in 2020.
- Handled contract disputes against business partners for U.S. and U.K. clients in life science and technology industries before Beijing courts and arbitration tribunals.
- Advising multinational companies in life science, automobile, electronic devices, food, cosmetics, and home appliance industries for product liability and product recall matters.
- Assisted multinational clients in commercial and financial litigations before Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Hong Kong courts.
- Paul Hastings Recognized with M&A Deal of the Year at ALB Hong Kong Law Awards 2021 - September 13th, 2021
- Financial Times Recognizes Paul Hastings For Innovation in Asia-Pacific - May 20th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Recognized at China Business Law Awards 2021 - May 18th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Continues to Accelerate Global Life Sciences Growth with New Investigations and White Collar Defense Partner - April 26th, 2021
- Continued Development of Data Security and Protection in China – All You Need to Know about China’s Latest Data Implementation Rules and the New Data Guidance for the Automotive Industry - December 28th, 2021
- China’s New Personal Information Protection Law and Other New Data Concerns - September 10th, 2021
- Local Compliance Code: The China Pharmaceutical Industry Association (CPIA) Sets Its Compliance Management Standards - September 9th, 2021
- Applications for Interim Measures in Mainland China: Advantages of Arbitrating in Hong Kong - August 16th, 2021
- What Remedies Are Available to Life Sciences Companies if Their IP Rights Are Exploited During the Global Pandemic? - July 21st, 2021
- China Enacts Anti-Foreign Sanctions Law: Increasing Uncertainty for Companies with China Operations - June 16th, 2021
Engagement & Publications
- Frequent speaker for the Ethics and Compliance Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai
- EXIN Privacy and Data Protection Practitioner
- Guest member of the Corporate Compliance Committee of the Shanghai Bar Association
- Admitted to the New York Bar and the P.R. China Bar