Associate, Litigation Department
Washington, D.C.Phone: 1(202) 551-1942
Ryan Harris is an associate in the Financial Services - Investigations, Regulation, and Litigation group at Paul Hastings, and is based in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. He works with banks, non-bank financial institutions, and other companies offering financial services and products. Ryan has defended companies and individuals in government investigations, enforcement actions, and complex commercial litigation, including individual and class actions. Ryan also advises clients on compliance with consumer protection laws.
Ryan has counseled clients in the financial services industry on a variety of subjects including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the False Claims Act (FCA), Fair Housing Act (FHA), FHA and VA mortgage programs, RESPA, FCRA, TILA, consumer protection statutes, and information privacy laws. He has resolved matters initiated by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Department of Justice (DOJ), Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), and State regulators.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2019
- James Madison University, B.S., 2016
- Successfully defended mortgage originators in qui tam actions brought under the False Claims Act involving the FHA's Direct Endorsement Loan Program and the VA's Single Family Homeownership Program.
- Defended Bank, appraisal management company, and individual in Fair Lending investigations pursued by HUD and state regulator.
- Represented Financial Institutions in putative class actions alleging breach of contract and related consumer protection claims resulting from overdraft charges for both debit and ATH transactions.
- Advised mortgage lender in a putative class action asserting RESPA, RICO, and Sherman Act claims involving allegations of kickback scheme.
- Counseled mortgage lender in putative class action alleging improper collection of property inspection fees.
- Defended mortgage lenders in response to government investigations brought by the DOJ and HUD.
- Successfully resolved consumer TCPA allegations for mortgage lenders.
Engagement & Publications
- Published by Wolters Kluwer in Bank & Financial Services Policy Report (2021) and Journal of Internet Law (2022). Topics included the TCPA, and cybersecurity and privacy initiatives.
- Member, Conference on Consumer Finance Law