Sarah Pearce is a Partner in the Privacy and Cyber Security Practice of Paul Hastings and heads up our European team from the firm’s London and Paris offices.
Ms. Pearce’s practice covers data privacy and security issues in the UK and across Europe, including the impact of Brexit negotiations and the aftermath from the U.K. leaving the European Union. She assists clients in identifying, evaluating and managing global privacy and information security risks and compliance issues and regularly navigates clients through data breach response and associated regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings. Her experience includes conducting privacy impact assessments and advising on risk management associated with data collection/use, international data transfer and marketing issues together with the drafting of privacy notices, policies, standards, and processes. Ms. Pearce routinely advises clients on the privacy and data security provisions of complex commercial and technology-related contracts, as well as those arising in the context of corporate transactions.
While her focus is data privacy, security, and information management matters, Ms. Pearce has a background in technology transactions and her practice encompasses a broad range of commercial and IT/IP issues including supply, distribution, licensing and outsourcing arrangements, consumer rights, and ecommerce-related matters.
Ms. Pearce’s clients include a diverse selection in the EMEA region and the U.S, ranging from disruptive and growth stage companies to well-established multinational "household" brands.
Ms. Pearce often publishes editorial work and is a frequent speaker at international conferences.
- Recommended for Data Protection, Privacy and Cybersecurity by Legal 500 UK 2020:
- "Led by Sarah Pearce, the team is thoroughly knowledgeable, practical and easy to deal with. Clients are in the hands of experts."
- "Sarah Pearce is the stand-out partner - she is a true professional and excellent in all respects. Clients cannot praise her highly enough."
- College of Law, Guildford, LPC, 1999
- Université de Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, Maîtrise, 1998
- King’s College, London, LLB, 1998
- Bar Admissions – England & Wales
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Recognized for Excellence in Legal 500 United Kingdom 2022 - October 1st, 2021
- Keyloop Acquires RAPID RTC and enquiryMAX - March 2nd, 2021
- Moody’s Corporation to Acquire Regulatory DataCorp - January 24th, 2020
- Paul Hastings Wins "Managing Complexity and Scale" Award and Ranked #3 in Europe for Legal Expertise by the Financial Times - September 13th, 2019
- Jacobs to Acquire Wood's Nuclear Business - August 20th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Launches Artificial Intelligence Practice Group with a Broad Team of Legal Experts - March 25th, 2019
- Monaco Telecom to acquire MTN Cyprus - July 16th, 2018
- Funds Managed by Abry Partners II, LLC Acquire Link Mobility Group ASA - July 2nd, 2018
- Paul Hastings London Advance Continues with Top Financial Services Regulatory Partner - June 11th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Hires London M&A Heavyweight Roger Barron - May 24th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Continues London Expansion with Private Equity Star Hire - May 17th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Builds on London Strength with Leading Privacy & Cybersecurity Partner - May 2nd, 2018
- Recognized for Excellence in Legal 500 United Kingdom - October 1st, 2021
- Paul Hastings Wins Award for Managing Complexity and Scale and Ranked #3 in Europe for Legal Expertise by the Financial Times - September 13th, 2019
- Recognized by Legal Week and American Lawyer as M&A Team of the Year and Private Equity Team of the Year - June 14th, 2019
- EDPS Issues Decision Confirming EU Parliament’s Cookie Violations - January 24th, 2022
- EDPB Adopts Guidelines on the Interplay Between Article 3 and International Transfers - November 22nd, 2021
- ICO Looking to G7 Countries to Consider Solution for Cookie Pop-Up Fatigue - September 8th, 2021
- ICO Approves First UK GDPR Certification Schemes - August 23rd, 2021
- Important Decision for Data Breach Litigation as Claims for Misuse of Private Information and Breach of Confidence Struck Out for Being “ill founded” - August 10th, 2021
- Phew… the UK is adequate - July 1st, 2021
- How are Regulators Reacting to the New SCCs and the EDPB Recommendations? - June 28th, 2021
- EDPB Publishes Version 2 of the Supplemental Measures for International Transfers - June 22nd, 2021
- New SCCs - Worth the Wait? - June 7th, 2021
- European Commission Publishes Two Sets of SCCs - June 4th, 2021
- Latest reactions to Schrems II - May 3rd, 2021
- Prioritising Globalisation, Innovation, and Purpose for Future Growth - April 27th, 2021
- The EU’s First Mover Advantage as it Proposes a New Regulatory “System” for Artificial Intelligence - April 26th, 2021
- The EU’s First Mover Advantage as it Proposes a New Regulatory “System” for Artificial Intelligence (1) - April 26th, 2021
- UK One Step Closer to EU Adequacy Determination - February 22nd, 2021
- EDPB and EDPS adopt joint opinion on the new draft SCCs - January 19th, 2021
- The Technology M&A Review - January 19th, 2021
- The UK officially leaves the EU, but what does this mean for transfers of personal data? - January 5th, 2021
- A 2020 Holiday Gift for the EU? - December 18th, 2020
- European Commission Releases Draft Article 28 SCCs - November 18th, 2020
Engagement & Publications
- Member of the Global Data Commons international Task Force, ongoing.
- Speaker, from a Data Commons to an AI Commons, at the World Government Summit, 2019.
- Presenter, GDPR for HR Six Months on: Lessons learned and unresolved issues, Lexology, 2018
- Author, "Your Preparation Timetable for GDPR," Director, January 23, 2018
- Co-author, "GDPR Governance: How Much is Enough?" Strategic Risk, January 2018
- Author, "How to Get Ready for GDPR: 2018 Data Protection Changes," IP Pro, April 2017
- Panel moderator, "Social Commerce: Navigating Fashion’s Most Unruly Sales Channel," Decoded Fashion, London, May 17, 2017
- Speaker, "Your Data," Upscale Training Session, May 23, 2017
- Author, "GDPR: An Opportunity Ahead?," Financial Director, EssentialRetail, Information Age, June 2017
- Quoted, "UK Privacy Office Warns Against Telemarketing Calls," Bloomberg’s Privacy Law Watch, August 2017
- Speaker, "Implications of the upcoming European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)," 4th Annual SmartFlow Anti-Piracy Summit, California, October 4, 2017
- Author, "Privacy by Design," Intellectual Property Magazine, October 2017
- Speaker, "Connecting with Consumers: Social Media Brand Management," MIP Luxury Brand and Retail Forum, New York, April 19, 2016
- Speaker, "The Impact of Data Security in the Internet of Things – GDPR, EU-U.S. Privacy Shield and Brexit," Device Authority Webinar, September 13, 2016
- Speaker, "Scaling Up for Growth: How to Become and Remain a Major Player," Decoded Fashion New York, November 1, 2016