Veronica Canton is an associate with the Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Group in Paul Hasting’s Chicago office. Veronica helps clients navigate complex legal issues and mitigate business risks associated with data privacy laws and technology transactions. She counsels public and private companies on consumer protection and data privacy issues with respect to product development, sign-up and point-of-sale procedures, digital marketing, regulatory compliance, incident response, and state and federal enforcement.
Veronica advises clients on all aspects of compliance with federal, state, and international data privacy and security laws, including, but not limited to the European Union (EU), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA), Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (VCDPA), Colorado Privacy Act (CPA), Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), as well as the General Law for the Protection of Personal Data (in Portuguese the Lei Geral de Proteção de Dados Pessoais (LGPD)).
Veronica advises clients in various industries on privacy matters, including, but not limited to information governance and data management, online advertising, internal compliance policies, consumer policies (including website and mobile application policies), vendor management, privacy and security-related compliance strategies and programs, compliance with industry security standards and frameworks, crisis management, as well as data breach response protocols. She also guides clients on risks and potential liabilities associated with privacy and data security practices in mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and technology transactions.
- ABA Business Law Section Fellow, 2021–2023
- ABA-IP Law Section, Young Lawyer Fellow, 2020–2023
- ABA-Legal Technology Resource Center, Women in Legal Tech, 2020
- Hispanic Lifestyle, Latinas of Influence, 2019
- Fastcase 50 Honoree, Legal Innovators, Techies, Visionaries, & Leaders, 2018
- ABA, Business Law Section, Substantive Committee of Cyberspace Law and Administrative Committee of Leadership Development, 2021–Present
- ABA, Section of Intellectual Property, Women in IP Action Group Co-Chair, 2020–Present
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), 2019–Present
- Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA), 2016–Present