Brian A. Featherstun
Associate, Employment Law Department
旧金山电话: 1(415) 856-7012
Brian Featherstun is an associate in the Employment Law practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s San Francisco office. His practice spans a wide variety of practice areas, with a particular emphasis on complex litigation and employment matters. Mr. Featherstun focuses on developing efficient, cost-effective, and jury-friendly strategies on matters ranging from routine business disputes to "bet the company" litigation.
A veteran of numerous trial teams, Mr. Featherstun is frequently asked to step into a case on the eve of trial. He handles first and second chair responsibility for trials, hearings, depositions, and administrative proceedings, and runs the day-to-day operations of all phases of litigation from pre-filing analyses through post-verdict enforcement and appeals.
He places an emphasis on evaluating each case from the jury’s perspective to realistically assess a case’s strengths and weaknesses, and has used that insight to help clients reach resolution at all stages of the litigation process.
In addition to his trial work, Mr. Featherstun also routinely advises employers on best practices to mitigate exposure or avoid litigation altogether. He counsels clients on all aspects of employment law, including discrimination, retaliation, harassment, and wage and hour issues.
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star for Employment Litigation: Defense (2022)
- UCLA School of Law, J.D., 2013
- U.C. Santa Barbara, B.A., 2008
- First Team All-Conference, Collegiate Water Polo Association (2007)
- Lead trial counsel in single plaintiff case in state court. Plaintiff simultaneously alleged multiple theories of liability, including ethnic origin and disability discrimination. The case settled favorably on the eve of trial.
- Lead associate in three-week defamation trial against a major broadcasting company based on employee’s use of company social media account. After deliberating for four hours, the jury returned a favorable verdict for the company.
- Second chair trial counsel in multi-plaintiff age discrimination case brought in federal court against a leading financial and insurance institution. Paul Hastings was retained as trial counsel and, after expert depositions concluded and pre-trial filings were submitted, the case settled favorably on the eve of trial.
- Second chair trial counsel in certified class action in federal court brought against a Fortune 500 company. The action was the first of twelve identical cases to proceed to trial as a type of "bellwether" proceeding. Obtained dismissal with prejudice of all claims on the eve of trial, and defended the district court’s decision on appeal. The Ninth Circuit affirmed the district court’s decision, and denied a petition for rehearing en banc. The decision was widely reported in the legal press as a significant win for companies facing class action claims in California.
- Second chair trial counsel in age discrimination case brought by a medical professional against a coalition of medical providers. On eve of trial, negotiated walkaway dismissal, with the plaintiff agreeing to dismiss all claims with prejudice in exchange for a release from the employer of cross-claims the employer had brought against the employee.
- Co-authored amicus brief to the California Court of Appeal in a case involving novel issue relating to unlimited, non-accrual vacation policies, which was cited favorably by the panel on key issues.
- Successfully defeated bid for preliminary injunction against a major technology company in a case alleging novel theories of liability. Decision appears to have been the first in the state to consider the issue.
- Negotiated walkaway dismissal on behalf of leading consulting company in case alleging harassment of an employee by a supervisor, with the plaintiff agreeing to dismissal of all claims against the employer with prejudice.
Engagement & Publications
- "DOL's New Overtime Rule is a Mixed Bag for Employers," Law360, March 2019