Associate, Litigation Department
Orange CountyPhone: 1(714) 668-6204
Beau Stockstill is an associate in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings in its Orange County office. Mr. Stockstill represents clients in all aspects of complex business litigation, including in the areas of intellectual property (including patent, trade secret, and trademark litigation), securities, breach of contract, unfair competition, fraud, and antitrust. He has pursued and defended litigation and arbitration in several jurisdictions throughout the United States and has litigated Section 337 investigations in the U.S. International Trade Commission.
Mr. Stockstill received a B.A. in Human Biology from Stanford University in 2007. He received his J.D. degree, cum laude, in 2010 from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was a Levy Scholar. He also received a Certificate in Business & Public Policy from the University of Pennsylvania in 2010.
While in law school, Mr. Stockstill served as President of the Custody and Support Assistance Clinic, a non-profit organization providing legal assistance for low-income clients regarding child custody, child support, and domestic violence matters. He was also Senior Editor of the Journal of Constitutional Law, a Member of the Moot Court Board, a Member of the Penn Law National Trial Team, and a recipient of the Exemplary Pro Bono Service Award. Mr. Stockstill is a member of the State Bar of California and is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of California and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California.
Mr. Stockstill is an alumnus of the Orange County District Attorney’s Office’s Trial Attorney Partnership (TAP) Program, in which he worked on a full-time basis as a deputy district attorney, first-chairing jury trials and prosecuting felony preliminary hearings.
- Selected as a Super Lawyers Magazine Southern California Rising Star in Business Litigation for 2018, 2019, and 2020.
Mr. Stockstill’s recent representative engagements include, for example:
- Representing major developer and manufacturer of dental and orthodontic devices and technology pursuing claims for patent infringement against a competitor in multiple ITC investigations and federal court lawsuits.
- Representing leading global electronics company defending against claims for patent infringement in lawsuit brought in federal court.
- Representing purchaser of corporate housing and hospitality company in international arbitration alleging breach of seller’s representations and warranties in the parties’ purchase agreement.
- Representing former directors and officers of major information technology company defending against claim for breach of fiduciary duty in putative class action challenging merger transaction in Michigan state court.
- Represented major global security technology company defending against claims in putative class action for violation of the federal securities laws brought in federal court and related shareholder derivative actions brought in federal court and California state court.
- Represented former Chief Executive Officer of major medical device company defending against claims in putative class action for violation of the federal securities laws brought in federal court and related shareholder derivative action brought in California state court.
- Represented major global distributor, wholesaler, and retailer of boardsports-related apparel, accessories, wetsuits, and hardgoods pursuing claims for fraud, conversion, unfair competition, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract brought in arbitration and in California state court against former officer and former vendor.
- Represented leading developer of system design enablement solutions pursuing claims for trade secret misappropriation, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and conversion brought in California state court against former employee.
- Represented leading producer and distributor of aftermarket automotive parts defending against claims for trade secret/confidential information misappropriation, unfair competition, and conversion brought by a competitor in Texas state court.
- Represented leading provider of location-based management solutions and telematics for mobile fleets and integrated resources pursuing claims for trade secret misappropriation, breach of contract, tortious interference with contractual relations, and unfair competition brought in federal court against a competitor and former employee.
- Represented one of California’s largest tire and wheel retailers pursuing claims for trademark infringement and breach of contract—and defending against counter-claims for trademark infringement—in federal court against a competitor related to use of marks on e-commerce websites and in brick-and-mortar stores and marketing.
- Represented leading health and fitness company pursuing claims for breach of contract and trademark infringement brought in arbitration against a competitor.
- Represented major chemical manufacturer pursuing claims in a construction dispute brought in arbitration against a general contractor and subcontractor.
- Represented leading software and technology device maker in defense against claims for breach of contract and unfair business practices brought by a software developer in California state court.
Engagement & Publications
- "Trade Secrets in the Time of Pandemic," Presenter, Orange County Bar Association Corporate Counsel Section Live Webinar (June 9, 2020)
- "The Defend Trade Secrets Act: Will It Do More Harm Than Good?," Co-Author, Orange County Business Journal (July 18, 2016);
- "From Life-Saving to Lethal: Product Liability After a Cyberattack," Co-Author, Orange County Business Journal (June 20, 2016)
- Nickel NP, Spiekerkoetter E, Gu M, Li CG, Li H, Kaschwich M, Diebold I, Hennigs JK, Kim KY, Miyagawa K, Wang L, Cao A, Sa S, Jiang X, Stockstill RW, Nicolls MR, Zamanian RT, Bland RD, Rabinovitch M. Elafin Reverses Pulmonary Hypertension via Caveolin-1-Dependent Bone Morphogenetic Protein Signaling. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2015 Jun 1;191(11):1273-86.
- "Internet Search Engine Policy Changes Expand the Use of Trademarks as Ad Keywords," Co-Author, Orange County Business Journal (July 8, 2013)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Orange County Bar Association
- Associate Board Member, Orange County Bar Foundation
- Executive Committee Member, Sonenshine Pro Bono Reception
- Golf Tournament Committee Member, Orange County Bar Association Charitable Fund