PH FedACTion: Financial Regulatory Updates
Daily Financial Regulation Update -- Monday, March 13, 2023
By FedACTion Task Force
Subscribe to PH FedACTion: Financial Regulatory Updates
PH Fintech Tracker on Executive Order for Digital Assets
Joint Statement by Treasury, Federal Reserve, and FDIC
March 12, 2023
Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen, Federal Reserve Board Chair Jerome H. Powell, and FDIC Chairman Martin J. Gruenberg released a joint statement on actions taken to protect the U.S. economy by strengthening public confidence in the nation's banking system.
Federal Reserve Board announces it will make available additional funding to eligible depository institutions to help assure banks have the ability to meet the needs of all their depositors
March 12, 2023
The Federal Reserve Board announced it will make available additional funding to eligible depository institutions to help assure banks have the ability to meet the needs of all their depositors. This action will bolster the capacity of the banking system to safeguard deposits and ensure the ongoing provision of money and credit to the economy.
Superintendent Adrienne A. Harris Announces New York Department of Financial Services Takes Possession of Signature Bank
March 12, 2023
Superintendent Adrienne A. Harris announced that the New York Department of Financial Services (NYDFS) has taken possession of Signature Bank, pursuant to Section 606 of New York Banking Law, in order to protect depositors. The NYDFS DFS immediately appointed the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation as receiver of the bank.
FDIC Establishes Signature Bridge Bank, N.A., as Successor to Signature Bank, New York, NY
March 12, 2023
Signature Bank was closed by the New York State Department of Financial Services, which appointed the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) as receiver. In that connection, the FDIC transferred all the deposits and substantially all of the assets of Signature Bank to Signature Bridge Bank, N.A., a full-service bank that will be operated by the FDIC as it markets the institution to potential bidders.
FDIC Issues FAQs for Silicon Valley Bank
Notwithstanding that Depositors will be made whole, the FDIC issued a FAQ addressing the receivership of Silicon Valley Bank, addressing various operating issues at the bridge bank established to resolve the bank.
U.S. Department of the Treasury
Article: The U.S. Economic Recovery in International Context
Marah 10, 2023
The U.S. Department of the Treasury published an article entitled, "The U.S. Economic Recovery in International Context."
U.S. Department of Labor
The Employment Situation – February 2023
March 10, 2023
The U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics released the jobs report for February 2023.
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
- Vice Chair – Vacant (Vice Chair Leal Brainard resigned effective on or around February 20, 2023)
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
- Comptroller – Vacant (Michael Hsu serves as Acting Comptroller)
Financial Crimes Enforcement Network
- Director – Vacant (Himamauli Das serves as Acting Director)
U.S. Department of the Treasury – Janet Yellen (effective January 26, 2021)
Federal Reserve Board – Jerome H. Powell (effective May 23, 2022)
- Vice Chair for Supervision Michael Barr (sworn in July 19, 2022)
- Governor Michelle W. Bowman (sworn in November 26, 2018)
- Governor Christopher J. Waller (sworn in December 18, 2020)
- Governor Phillip N Jefferson (sworn in May 23, 2022)
- Governor Lisa D. Cook (sworn in May 23, 2022)
- Federal Reserve Board announces appointment of Joshua Gallin as secretary of the Federal Open Market Committee (February 2, 2023)
Federal Reserve Bank of New York – John C. Williams (effective June 18, 2018)
- Vincent Alvarez Designated Chair of New York Fed Board of Directors; Rosa Gil Designated Deputy Chair (January 10, 2023)
- Pat Wang Appointed as a Class C Director to New York Fed Board of Directors (January 10, 2023)
- New York Fed Names Roberto Perli SOMA Manager (February 2, 2023)
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston – Susan M. Collins (effective July 1, 2022)
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation – Martin Gruenberg (effective January 5, 2023)
- Vice Chairman Travis Hill (sworn in January 5, 2023)
- Director Jonathan McKernan (sworn in January 5, 2023)
- Director Michael Hsu (Acting Comptroller of the Currency)
- Director Rohit Chopra (Director of Consumer Financial Protection Bureau)
- FDIC Announces Senior Leadership Changes in Division of Risk Management Supervision (January 26, 2023)
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency – Michael Hsu (acting Comptroller, effective May 10, 2021)
- OCC Announces Deputy Comptroller for Systemic Risk Identification and Support (January 11, 2023)
- Kristen Baldwin Named OCC Chief Information Officer (February 8, 2023)
Securities and Exchange Commission – Gary Gensler (effective April 17, 2021)
- SEC Announces Appointment of Cristina Martin Firvida as Investor Advocate (January 10, 2023)
- Paul Munter Named Chief Accountant (January 11, 2023)
- Erik Gerding Named Director of Division of Corporation Finance (January 13, 2023)
- Silvestre Fontes Named Director of Boston Regional Office (January 25, 2023)
- Cicely LaMothe Named Deputy Director, Disclosure Operations, for the Division of Corporation Finance (February 14, 2023)
Commodity Futures Trade Commission – Rostin Behnam (effective December 17, 2021)
- Commissioner Pham Announces Members of the CFTC's Global Markets Advisory Committee (January 12, 2023)
- CFTC Commissioner Pham Announces Additional Staff Appointment (February 7, 2023)
- Chairman Behnam Announces Veteran Federal Prosecutor Ian McGinley as Enforcement Director (February 28, 2023)
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau – Rohit Chopra (effective October 12, 2021)
National Credit Union Administration – Todd M. Harper (effective January 20, 2021)
Small Business Administration – Isabella Casillas Guzman (effective March 16, 2021)
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development – Marcia Fudge (effective March 10, 2021)
Federal Housing Finance Agency – Sandra L. Thompson (effective June 22, 2022)
U.S. Department of Education – Dr. Miguel Cardona (effective March 2, 2021)
PH Client Alerts
Click here to read more from our Coronavirus series.
Click here to view the full text of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (the "CARES Act"), Enacted March 27, 2020.
Click here to view the full text of the Paycheck Protection Program Increase Act of 2020, Enacted April 24, 2020.
Click here to view the full text of the Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act of 2020, Enacted June 5, 2020.
Click here to view the full text of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, Enacted December 27, 2020.
Click here to view the full text of the American Rescue Plan of 2021, Enacted March 11, 2021.
Click here to view the full text of the PPP Extension Act of 2021, Enacted March 30, 2021.
Click here to view a running list of proposed legislation from the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs, Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship, House Committee on Financial Services, and House Committee on Small Business.