Young J. Park
Partner, Litigation Department
New YorkPhone: 1(212) 318-6861
Young J. Park is a partner in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office. His practice focuses on counseling clients and litigating high-stakes intellectual property matters involving products with annual sales routinely in the hundreds of millions to billions of dollars. Mr. Park has extensive experience in all aspects of trial preparation, including examining and cross-examining trial witnesses. He also has considerable experience handling patent appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, including oral argument. He also has experience handling multiple post-grant procedures in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, including oral argument in the final hearing. Mr. Park has been involved in cases with a wide variety of life science products, including pharmaceuticals, cardiovascular stents, hip implants, abdominal trocars, RF ablation devices, and cardiac defibrillators.
- The Legal 500, Intellectual Property - Patents: Litigation (Full Coverage) (2021)
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 2000
- Johns Hopkins University, M.S., 1998
- Johns Hopkins University, B.S., 1995
- He is also admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Boston Scientific Corporation in a patent infringement jury trial involving 2.25 mm drug-eluting stents, obtaining over $20 million in lost profits damages and double damages for willful infringement against a major competitor. Mr. Park also handled the appeal as lead attorney, obtaining a full affirmance of both the damages and willfulness judgments.
- Boston Scientific Corporation in a binding patent infringement arbitration, obtaining a non-infringement decision in a case where the competitor sought hundreds of millions of dollars in damages based on sales of Boston Scientific’s TAXUS LIBERTÉ stent.
- Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc. in an Inter Partes review involving a patent currently asserted against Zimmer’s TM line of hip implants, obtaining ruling that all of the challenged claims were unpatentable. Mr. Park argued for Zimmer in the final hearing (currently on appeal).
- Helsinn Healthcare S.A. in a Hatch-Waxman action involving its ALOXI antiemetic drug product, obtaining a favorable judgment of infringement and no invalidity of the asserted patents following a bench trial (currently on appeal). Mr. Park examined and cross-examined trial witnesses.
- Helsinn Healthcare S.A. in two Post-Grant Review challenges involving a patent covering ALOXI, obtaining favorable ruling not to institute trial based on grounds in either challenge.
- Eisai Co., Ltd. in a Hatch-Waxman action involving its BANZEL, an antiepileptic drug product.
- Covidien in a patent infringement jury trial involving abdominal trocar, obtaining a judgment of patent infringement and $5 million in damages against a major competitor.
- Covidien in a patent infringement action involving abdominal trocars, obtaining a dismissal of all claims against Covidien’s accused abdominal trocars in suit.
- Paul Hastings’ IP Litigation Practice Recognized as an IP Powerhouse with 25 Rankings by IAM Patent 1000 and Legal 500 US - June 12th, 2020
- Paul Hastings Wins at LMG Life Sciences Awards - September 19th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Nominated for Four LMG Life Sciences Awards - July 26th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Wins Top Honors at 2019 Managing IP Americas Awards - April 8th, 2019
- Federal Circuit Reverses Judge Sleet’s Factual Findings for Failure to Address Unrebutted Evidence - November 3rd, 2017
- Paul Hastings Team Secures IPR Trial Win for Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc. - March 22nd, 2017
- Generic Found to Infringe Valid Patent Claims Covering Helsinn’s Aloxi® Product - February 21st, 2017
- District of New Jersey Amends Local Patent Rules - February 7th, 2017
- Federal Circuit Rejects Application of the On-Sale Bar to Contract Manufacturers - July 11th, 2016
- Federal Circuit Holds That a Declaratory Judgment Action Could be Based Solely on Events That Occurred Before the Patent-In-Suit Issued - March 11th, 2014
- Served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Alan D. Lourie of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Member of the State Bar of New York, and is admitted to practice in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.