Paul Hastings Recognized and “Highly Recommended” by Latin Lawyer
New York and São Paulo – In its list of leading Latin America business law firms, Latin Lawyer 250 lists Paul Hastings as “highly recommended” across several practice areas.
Latin Lawyer highlighted Paul Hastings’ strategic vision of the region and noted the firm’s strength in Mexico, led by Latin America practice Chair Michael Fitzgerald, and in Brazil, with Jon Kellner leading the firm’s Sao Paulo office, where clients include Embraer, BRF, Cemig, Oi, and Suzano.
“[I]t is not uncommon to see the firm working on some of the largest, big-ticket and high-profile transactions throughout the region’s major jurisdictions,” the publication wrote of Paul Hastings. “It has also played a critical role in various major investigations, and . . . in bringing to fruition a string of high-profile FCPA settlements, including Brazilian petrochemical company Braskem’s US$957 million settlement with global authorities.” The Braskem resolution was led by Robert Luskin and Jay Darden.
The publication highlighted Paul Hastings’ Capital Markets practice as the firm’s strongest in Latin America, with its prominent team including Michael Fitzgerald, Arturo Carrillo, Joy Gallup, Cathleen McLaughlin, Thiago Spercel, and Pedro Reyes.
Robert Leung’s experience in the energy sector was noted for complementing the firm’s areas of strength and is fueling the corporate and M&A practice, with Columbia’s Enfragen and Peru’s Transtech Glass and Intercorp Nexus as clients.
Latin Lawyer also called attention to the firm’s “strong project finance team,” including Greg Tan and Alexandro Padres, who joined the firm in 2022, as well as Elicia Ling and Thomas Sines. The firm was also noted for its Restructuring practice, with Michael Fitzgerald, Joy Gallup, Pedro Jimenez and Pedro Reyes noted for negotiating some of the region’s most complex cross-border restructurings.
The firm is “highly recommended” in the following practice areas:
- Anti-Corruption Investigations and Compliance
- Banking & Finance
- Capital Markets
- Corporate and M&A
- Pro Bono
- Project Finance and Infrastructure
- Restructuring and Insolvency
This Latin Lawyer 250 recognition is the latest in a series of accolades for the Paul Hastings Latin America practice and its many recent successes, including:
- The firm advised on two award-winning deals at Latin Lawyer’s 16th annual Deal of the Year Awards for Project Finance: Energy and Natural Resources and Restructuring.
- The firm was ranked in Legal500’s Latin America guide in Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate and M&A, and Projects and Energy.
- Paul Hastings was ranked by Latinvex among the top 3 international law firms operating in Latin America while Arturo Carrillo, Michael Fitzgerald, Joy Gallup, Cathleen McLaughlin and Pedro Reyes were recognized by Latinvex among Latin America's Top 100 Lawyers of 2022.
- The firm advised on two transactions that were honored at the 2021 IJGlobal Awards, including:
- Power Deal of the Year: Project Gatun
- Petrochemicals Deal of the Year: Braskem Idesa Refinancing
- The firm advised on three transactions that were honored at the 2021 LatinFinance Project and Infrastructure Awards:
- Airport Financing of the Year: The Lima Airport Expansion Financing
- Infrastructure Financing of the Year: EnfraGen’s US$1,76 Billion Financing
- Local Currency Financing of the Year: Puerta de Hiero’s Social Bond
- The Infrastructure and Energy Team was again named a “Band 1” team for LatAm by Chambers.
About Paul Hastings
With widely recognized elite teams in finance, mergers & acquisitions, private equity, restructuring and special situations, litigation, employment and real estate, Paul Hastings is a premier law firm providing superior intellectual capital and execution globally to the world’s leading investment banks, asset managers and corporations.