Samuel Waxman is a partner in the Emerging Growth Company and Mergers and Acquisitions practices at Paul Hastings. He is based in the firm’s New York office.
Mr. Waxman’s represents emerging to mature life sciences and technology companies is all aspects of their business and legal affairs, including company formation, equity financings, strategic alliances, IPOs and M&A transactions. Mr. Waxman also regularly represents venture capital and growth equity investment funds.
- Recognized as a leading M&A, technology and intellectual property lawyer in the Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Report, The Legal 500 and Chambers.
- Intellectual Asset Management’s Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners stated, "The ‘street-smart’ lawyer has made the most of an outstanding transactional platform at the firm and proved his mettle on some of the biggest acquisitions/divestitures around."
- Named to the top "40 Under 40 M&A Professionals" in M&A Advisor (2012)
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2000
- University of Virginia, B.A. (with Distinction), 1997
Strategic Alliances and M&A
- Deerfield Management, in connection with its early-stage therapeutic research partnerships with various elite academic institutions including The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, Johns Hopkins University, Harvard University, and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.
- Merck & Co. in connection with various M&A and strategic alliance transactions, most recently in connection with its strategic alliances with Amathus Therapeutics and Yumanity Therapeutics.
- Elanco U.S., Inc., a subsidiary of Eli Lilly and Company, in its acquisition of Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica’s U.S. feline, canine and rabies vaccines portfolio.
- Sony Corporation in connection with various M&A transactions.
Venture Capital & Emerging Growth Companies
- Deerfield Management, in connection with various debt and minority equity investments.
- Neomorph, Inc., in its $109 million Series A financing to advance a proprietary targeted protein degradation platform and specific programs.
- Jaguar Gene Therapy, LLC in connection with its $139 million Series B funding co-led by Eli Lilly and Company and Deerfield Management.
- Axovia Therapeutics, Inc., an gene therapy company developing disease-transformative medicines for ciliopathies, in connection with its Series A financing.
- Orchestra BioMed, Inc., a biomedical innovation company, in connection with its $72 million Series B/B1 financings.
- Clearview AI, a leading facial recognition company, in connection with its $30 million Series B financing.
- Flex, a NYC-based FinTech company, in connection with its equity financings.
- Digitalis Ventures, as outside general counsel.
- Canopy Growth Corporation, in connection with various M&A transactions, including its agreement to acquire Acreage Holdings and Wana Brands.
- The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company, in connection with its minority investment in RIV Capital.
- RIV Capital, in connection with various debt and minority equity investments.
- Turning Point Brands, in connection with various debt and minority equity investments.
- Tuatara Capital, in connection with various debt and minority equity investments.
- Deerfield Management and Stanford University Create the Porter Alliance for Innovative Medicines - January 18th, 2022
- ScottsMiracle-Gro Acquires Luxx Lighting - January 7th, 2022
- Cresco Labs Acquires Pennsylvania Clinical Registrant Laurel Harvest - December 10th, 2021
- Canopy Growth to Acquire Wana Brands - October 14th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Advises Getir B.V. in Acquisition of Huvi Technologies Inc. - July 2nd, 2021
- Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Practice Continues Year of Remarkable Rankings with New IAM 1000 Accolades and Additional IP Stars Recognitions - July 2nd, 2021
- Merck and Amathus Therapeutics Create Strategic Collaboration to Develop Treatments for Neurodegenerative Diseases - March 17th, 2021
- Paul Hastings’ IP Litigation Practice Recognized as an IP Powerhouse with 25 Rankings by IAM Patent 1000 and Legal 500 US - June 12th, 2020
- Cyclica & ATAI Life Sciences form Entheogenix Biosciences for Mental Health Treatment Research - November 18th, 2019
- DFB Healthcare to Acquire AdaptHealth Holdings - July 10th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Recognized in 2019 IAM Patent 1000 as One of the Most Sophisticated Patent Litigation Practices - June 7th, 2019
- Canopy Growth Announces Pathway to U.S. Presence with Planned $3.4 Billion Purchase of Acreage Holdings - April 19th, 2019
- Offchain Labs Seeks to Advance Scalability and Privacy of Enterprise Blockchain - April 5th, 2019
- Deerfield Management and UNC-Chapel Hill Launch Pinnacle Hill Research Partnership - October 22nd, 2018
- Canopy Growth to Acquire Assets of ebbu - October 15th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Launches PH Ignite, Its New Online Resource for the Emerging Growth Company Space - August 6th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Recognized in 2018 IAM Patent 1000 For Superb Track Record in Patent Litigation - June 15th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Score Top Rankings in Chambers USA 2018 - May 11th, 2018
- Deerfield Management and Vanderbilt University Launch Research Collaboration, Ancora Innovation - March 28th, 2018
- Deerfield Management and Johns Hopkins University Launch Early-Stage Therapeutics Research Collaboration - November 16th, 2017
- Paul Hastings Intellectual Property Practice Recognized by IAM 1000 2021 - July 2nd, 2021
- Recognized in the IAM Patent 1000 - June 11th, 2020
- Recognized by IAM Patent 1000 for 2019 - June 7th, 2019
- Recognized by IAM Patent 1000 for 2018 - June 15th, 2018
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2018 - May 15th, 2018
- Recognized by IAM Patent 1000 for 2017 - June 6th, 2017
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2017 - June 5th, 2017
- Recognized by IAM Patent 1000 for 2016 - May 27th, 2016
- Smarter, Faster, Stronger: A New Suite of VC Model Docs - May 10th, 2018
- NYC: Municipal Benefactor to Life Sciences and Technology Venture Capital - November 21st, 2017
- Resigning From a Board of Directors: Considerations for VC Fund Designees - March 27th, 2017
- Venture Debt: An Attractive Tool for Startup Companies - February 2nd, 2017
- Revisiting the CVR: The Litigation Crucible - November 15th, 2016
- Making the Grade: Negotiating IP Licenses with Academic Institutions - November 4th, 2016
- When Minority Stockholders Take Control: Recent Delaware Cases Shine a Light on Fiduciary Obligations of Controlling Stockholders - July 22nd, 2016
- Post-Closing Fraud Claims in the Acquisition Context: Protecting the Seller - February 19th, 2016
- Solving The Valuation Puzzle in Life Sciences Transactions: The Pros and Cons of the CVR - January 26th, 2016
- Not Just Refrigerators and Light Bulbs: Connected Vehicles as an Extension of the Internet of Things - April 17th, 2015
Engagement & Publications
- Moderator, "Early-Stage Company Pitfalls and Risk Considerations", the Cure Symposia by Deerfield, November 2021
- Moderator, "Beyond the Science: What Principal Investigators (PIs) Need to Consider When Negotiating", the Cure Symposia by Deerfield, October 2021
- Moderator, "The Future of Venture Capital", New York Venture Summit, July 2018
- Smarter, Faster, Stronger: A New Suite of VC Model Docs, Law360, May 2018
- NYC: Municipal Benefactor to Life Sciences and Technology Venture Capital, Lexology, Nov 2017
- Plenary Session Moderator, "In Pursuit of Growth, Savings, and Return on Investment: Pharma’s Quest for Innovation Partnerships", Life Sciences Summit, November 2017
- Guest Lecturer, "Life Sciences Patent Law", NYU School of Law, April 2017
- Resigning From a Board of Directors: Considerations for VC Fund Designees, Lexology, March 2017
- Panelist, Houlihan Lokey 2017 Illiquid Financial Assets Conference, March 2017
- Venture Debt: An Attractive Tool for Start-up Companies, Law360, February 2017
- Making the Grade: Negotiating IP Licenses with Academic Institutions, Licensing Journal, January 2017, Vol. 37 Issue 1
- Panelist, "Dealmaking 2017: Exploring Academic-Industry Partnerships", New York Pharma Forum, January 2017
- Revisiting the CVR: The Litigation Crucible, Lexology, November 2016
- When Minority Stockholders Take Control: Recent Delaware Cases Shine a Light on Fiduciary Obligations of Controlling Shareholders, Law360, July 2016
- Legal Health Isn't Easy for Digital Health Companies, TechCrunch. April 2016.
- Post-Closing Fraud Claims in the Acquisition Context: Protecting the Seller, Lexology, February 2016
- Solving The Valuation Puzzle in Life Sciences Transactions: The Pros and Cons of the CVR, The M&A Lawyer, January 2016.
- Not Just Refrigerators and Light Bulbs: Connected Vehicles as an Extension of the Internet of Things, Lexology, April 2015.
- The Acquisition of IP Assets in Bankruptcy, Intellectual Property Magazine, July/August 2014.