Attorney Authored

Deposing Nonparties in States Other Than Where Your Case is Pending

November 17, 2014


Chances are, if your law practice involves litigation in state courts, you will eventually have to depose a nonparty in a state other than where your case is pending. Because state-court subpoena power is limited to the forum state’s geographic boundaries, and because state-court rules are not uniform, obtaining this deposition may be a daunting task. Many lawyers’ reflexive action is to seek a court order or a commission or letters rogatory from the jurisdiction where the case is pending. This is not always necessary.

To secure a subpoena for the deposition of an extraterritorial nonparty you must first look to the rules of the jurisdiction where your case is pending, then turn to the procedural rules of the state where the nonparty is based, and then confirm that there are no additional requirements imposed by local rules in the nonparty’s county of residence. While it is usually advisable to consult local counsel before subpoenaing a nonparty in a state where you are not licensed, engagement may not be necessary. This article provides a checklist that may be universally applied when you need to depose a nonparty in a state other than where your case is pending, and identifies each state’s relevant statutes.

This information or any portion thereof may not be copied or disseminated in any form or by any means or downloaded or stored in an electronic database or retrieval system without the express written consent of the American Bar Association.

Click here for a PDF of the full text

Practice Areas


Complex Litigation and Arbitration

For More Information

Image: Adam M. Reich
Adam M. Reich

Of Counsel, Litigation Department

Get In Touch With Us

Contact Us