Palo Alto and San Diego — Paul Hastings LLP, a leading global law firm, announced today that David Beckwith, a seasoned trial and appellate lawyer with three decades of experience, has joined the firm’s Intellectual Property practice, and will be based in Palo Alto and San Diego. He joins from a litigation boutique firm, and previously was a partner at McDermott Will & Emery.
“David is a skilled first-chair trial lawyer with a long track record of success in federal courts throughout the country, at the International Trade Commission, and at the PTAB,” said Yar Chaikovsky, global co-chair of the Intellectual Property practice at Paul Hastings. “He perfectly complements our strength in these areas in patent litigation involving computer, internet, and telecommunication technologies.”
Beckwith’s practice is focused on patent litigation and appeals in courts throughout the country, before the International Trade Commission, and before the Patent and Trademark Office. Beckwith brings first-chair trial experience representing domestic and multinational clients in a diverse range of industries, including smartphones, internet security, medical devices, and biotechnology.ngth in these areas in patent litigation involving computer, internet, and telecommunication technologies.”
“Paul Hastings is known as a home for powerhouse Intellectual Property litigators, and the firm is an ideal platform for my practice,” said Beckwith. I look forward to reuniting with former colleagues and complementing this deep roster of trial lawyers.”
Beckwith’s arrival follows several additions to the firm’s Intellectual Property practice in 2018, including Robert Unikel and Michelle Marek Figueiredo in Chicago, Robert Laurenzi in New York, and Marisa Williams in San Francisco.
The Paul Hastings Intellectual Property practice has received a steady stream of industry accolades, including:
- The firm was named American Lawyer’s 2018 Transatlantic IP Team of the Year.
- The firm was named LMG Life Sciences 2018 Hatch-Waxman Litigation Team of the Year – Branded.
- The firm was nationally ranked in the 2018 edition of Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars in Patent Contentious, PTAB Litigation, and Life Sciences.
- The firm received top rankings, and 15 partners were recognized in the 2018 edition of IAM Patent 1000.
- Isaac Ashkenazi and Philip Ou were recognized by Law360 as Rising Stars in Life Sciences and Technology, respectively.
- Yar Chaikovsky was named by Law360 as a Technology MVP for high-profile patent wins on behalf of Trend Micro and HTC.
- Joseph O’Malley was named an Intellectual Property Trailblazer by the National Law Journal for his work on behalf of Helsinn Healthcare.
- The Daily Journal named Yar Chaikovsky and Chris Kennerly to its list of Top IP Lawyers in California.
- In 2017, the firm was named one of Law360’s Life Sciences Practice Groups of the Year.
- Patexia, Inc. recognized Naveen Modi as the most active attorney representing petitioners and patent owners in inter partes review (IPR) proceedings at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, noting that Modi's workload of 240 cases is the most among the 5,000 attorneys who have worked on IPRs since 2012.
At Paul Hastings, our purpose is clear — to help our clients and people navigate new paths to growth. With a strong presence throughout Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the U.S., Paul Hastings is recognized as one of the world’s most innovative global law firms.