IP Practice Nationally Ranked in Patent Contentious, PTAB Litigation, and Life Sciences
Paul Hastings LLP, a leading global law firm, announced today that the firm was recognized in the 2019 edition of Managing IP’s IP Stars.
The firm was ranked nationally in the United States for Patent Contentious matters, PTAB Litigation, and Life Sciences, where the firm is ranked in Tier 1. The firm was also ranked in California for both Patent Contentious and Copyright matters, and in New York, where the practice is Highly Recommended for Patent Contentious matters. The firm is one of 10 foreign-firms ranked in Japan for Patent.
Managing IP reported on multiple wins on behalf of clients in life sciences and technology, including for Boehringer Ingelheim, where Bruce Wexler and Eric Dittmann, led a team through fact, expert and Markman phases, obtaining six walk-away consent judgments from generics infringing patents relating to Boehringer’s blood thinning drug, Pradaxa®. MIP also highlighted Yar Chaikovsky for a victory concluding eight years of patent litigation for Trend Micro, having invalidated a patent asserted by Intellectual Ventures and securing the reimbursement of attorney’s fees. Naveen Modi was noted as a leading practitioner at the PTAB, having more than 400 representations in post-grant proceedings.
In addition to the practice rankings, 11 Paul Hastings partners were recognized individually:
Yar Chaikovsky: Patent Star (California); Trademark Star (California)
Eric Dittmann: Patent Star (New York)
Hiroyuki Hagiwara: Patent Star (Japan)
Blair Jacobs: Patent Star (District of Columbia)
Chris Kennerly: Patent Star (California)
Naveen Modi: Patent Star (District of Columbia)
Joseph O’Malley: Patent Star (New York and Pennsylvania)
Chad Peterman: Patent Star (New York)
Preston Ratliff: Patent Star (New York)
Robert Unikel: Patent Star (Illinois); Trademark Star (Illinois)
Bruce Wexler: Patent Star (New York); Trademark Star (New York)
Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars rankings are based on extensive research carried out annually, and are published on a rolling basis starting in February and going through May.
The Paul Hastings Intellectual Property practice has regularly received industry honors, including:
- The firm was ranked Nationwide in IAM Patent 1000 and regarded as one of the most sophisticated patent litigation practices in the United States.
- Yar Chaikovsky and Philip Ou were named “California Trailblazers” by The Recorder.
- Bruce Wexler, Eric Dittmann, and Isaac Ashkenazi were named “New York Trailblazers” by the New York Law Journal.
- The firm was named Life Sciences Litigation Firm of the Year by Managing Intellectual Property.
- Naveen Modi was named PTAB Outstanding Litigator of the Year by Managing Intellectual Property.
- The firm was shortlisted by Benchmark Litigation for "California - Intellectual Property Litigation Firm of the Year."
- Yar Chaikovsky was named to Benchmark Litigation’s "Silicon Valley Attorney of the Year" Short List.
- The firm was named 2019 Post-Grant Firm of the Year in IAM Magazine’s Global IP Awards.
- The firm was named Hatch-Waxman Litigation Firm of the Year – Branded by LMG Life Sciences.
- The firm was named American Lawyer’s Transatlantic IP Team of the Year.
- Yar Chaikovsky was named by Law360 as an Appellate MVP for high-profile patent wins on behalf of Trend Micro and HTC.
- The Daily Journal named Yar Chaikovsky to its list of Top IP Lawyers in California.
At Paul Hastings, our purpose is clear — to help our clients and people navigate new paths to growth. With a strong presence throughout Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the U.S., Paul Hastings is recognized as one of the world’s most innovative global law firms.