Jane Song is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s San Diego office. Ms. Song practices primarily in the areas of technology, life sciences, and intellectual property transactions, where she represents public and private companies in a wide variety of areas including software, electronics, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, and other technology and life sciences based industries.
She represents clients in intellectual property and commercial transactions, including structuring, preparing, and negotiating agreements for acquisition or licensing of patents, software, and other intellectual property, formation of strategic alliances, performance of research and development, contract manufacturing, performance of clinical trials, and commercial distribution and sale of products.
Ms. Song also has extensive experience in merger and acquisition and financing transactions involving technology and life sciences companies and intellectual property assets, as well as in performing intellectual property due diligence in connection with such transactions. In addition, she is a patent attorney registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, with experience in patent litigation and settlement of disputes, patent prosecution, and strategic IP counseling.
- Elanco U.S., Inc. in its acquisition of Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica’s pet vaccines portfolio and manufacturing and R&D facilities.
- Telogis, Inc. in its sale of the company to Verizon Communications, Inc.
- Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. and LoopPay, Inc. in connection with the launch of Samsung Pay in the U.S.
- Telogis, Inc. in connection with launch of telematics products and services with OEMs, including Nissan, GM, Ford, Hino, and Isuzu.
- Samsung Bioepis, Co. Ltd. in connection with intellectual property and commercial transactions.
- GI Partners in its joint venture with AllScript Healthcare Solutions and acquisition of Netsmart Technologies.
Accolades and Recognitions
- Super Lawyer San Diego
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Law
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- “Intellectual Property Issues in M&A Transactions” published in the Lawyers (a Japanese publication) (November 2016)
- “The Law of Joint Ownership of Patents: The Right to Impede an Infringement Suit” published in BNA’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal (November 13, 2014, No. 219)
- "Automatic Renewal Provisions in Subscription Agreements for Software Services" accepted for publication in IP Today (May 2013)
- Seminar titled "Playing Offense and Defense: Intellectual Property Issues Impacting Financial Services Companies" at the Paul Hastings Teleconference Series for Financial Services Clients (February 2013)
- "Rediscover the Law: Joint Authorship Requires More than the Authors' Intent to Merge Their Contributions" published in IP Today (June 2012)
- "Intellectual Property Indemnification Obligations: Liability for Combinations,” Los Angeles Daily Journal (December 2010)
- Seminar titled “IP Licensing” at the Korean Inhouse Counsel Forum (August 2010)
- Chapter titled “Initial Considerations in Seeking Patent Protection,” for Inside the Minds Series on Developing a Patent Strategy (2010 Edition)
- “Further Guidance on Browsewrap User Agreements,” Law360 (October 27, 2009)
- “License to Confuse: Patent Agreements and ‘Have Made’ Rights,” Los Angeles Daily Journal (August 26, 2009)
- Seminar on IP risks in the cyberspace at 2009 Professional Risk Symposium of the Professional Liability Underwriting Society (May 2009)
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1996 (Stone Scholar)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, M.S., 1993
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, B.S., 1991 (Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society)