Jane Song is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s San Diego office. Ms. Song practices primarily in the areas of technology, life sciences, and intellectual property transactions, where she represents public and private companies in a wide variety of areas including software, electronics, semiconductors, pharmaceuticals, and other technology and life sciences based industries.
She represents clients in intellectual property and commercial transactions, including structuring, preparing, and negotiating agreements for acquisition or licensing of patents, software, and other intellectual property, formation of strategic alliances, performance of research and development, contract manufacturing, performance of clinical trials, and commercial distribution and sale of products.
Ms. Song also has extensive experience in merger and acquisition and financing transactions involving technology and life sciences companies and intellectual property assets, as well as in performing intellectual property due diligence in connection with such transactions. In addition, she is a patent attorney registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, with experience in patent litigation, patent prosecution, and strategic IP counseling.
- Bikeshare Holdings LLC in its acquisition of Alta Bicycle Share, Inc., an operator of bike share systems for New York, Chicago, Washington DC, Boston, San Francisco, and other major cities around the world
- Wells Fargo Capital Finance in financing for Golden Gate Capital’s acquisition of Ex-Libris Group
- Sierra Wireless, Inc. in its sale of the Aircard business to Netgear Inc.
- Telogis, Inc. in connection with launch of telematics products and services with OEMs, including GM, Ford, Hino, and Isuzu
- Monitise plc in its acquisition of Clairmail Inc., a provider of mobile banking and payments solutions
- Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., in its acquisition of the Nexus division of ITC Nexus Holding Company, a provider of cardiac point of care testing solutions
- General Electric Transportation in its acquisition of RMI, a rail software and services provider, from the Carlyle Group
Accolades and Recognitions
- Super Lawyer San Diego
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Law
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- “The Law of Joint Ownership of Patents: The Right to Impede an Infringement Suit” published in BNA’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal (November 13, 2014, No. 219)
- "Automatic Renewal Provisions in Subscription Agreements for Software Services" accepted for publication in IP Today (May 2013)
- Seminar titled "Playing Offense and Defense: Intellectual Property Issues Impacting Financial Services Companies" at the Paul Hastings Teleconference Series for Financial Services Clients (February 2013)
- "Rediscover the Law: Joint Authorship Requires More than the Authors' Intent to Merge Their Contributions" published in IP Today (June 2012)
- "Intellectual Property Indemnification Obligations: Liability for Combinations,” Los Angeles Daily Journal (December 2010)
- Seminar titled “IP Licensing” at the Korean Inhouse Counsel Forum (August 2010)
- Chapter titled “Initial Considerations in Seeking Patent Protection,” for Inside the Minds Series on Developing a Patent Strategy (2010 Edition)
- “Further Guidance on Browsewrap User Agreements,” Law360 (October 27, 2009)
- “License to Confuse: Patent Agreements and ‘Have Made’ Rights,” Los Angeles Daily Journal (August 26, 2009)
- Seminar on IP risks in the cyberspace at 2009 Professional Risk Symposium of the Professional Liability Underwriting Society (May 2009)
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1996 (Stone Scholar)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, M.S., 1993
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, B.S., 1991 (Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society)