Robert Leung is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office. Mr. Leung has advised an array of clients (corporations, financial institutions, private investment funds, and family offices) on both domestic and cross-border (primarily in Latin America) M&A, private equity, and financing transactions. He has particular experience advising clients in the energy, natural resources, infrastructure, and retail industries.
- Yale Law School, J.D., 1994
- Cornell University, B.A., Economics and Government, 1991
- Advised Quicorp, parent company of Quimica Suiza and one of the largest pharmacy retail chains in Perú, in its acquisition by InRetail Perú through an international auction process. (LatinFinance’s 2018 Domestic M&A Deal of the Year)
- Advised a financial institution in its bid to acquire and project finance a transmission line project and related assets in Peru.
- Advised a financial institution in connection with its bid to acquire a Peruvian pension fund manager.
- Advising sellers in connection with the sale of a Peruvian agribusiness through an international auction process.
- Advised Infraestructura Energética Nova, S.A.B. de C.V., a subsidiary of Sempra Energy, in connection with the long-term purchase and joint venture agreements entered into with commodities trader, Trafigura, to develop a marine terminal for the receipt, storage and delivery of refined products in Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico.
- Advised YPF S.A. in the sale of a 24.99% stake in YPF Energía Eléctrica S.A., its electricity generation unit, to affiliates of GE Energy Financial Services.
- Advised Gala Global Assets Corporation, in the sale of operational and development-stage power generation assets in Mexico to Arroyo Energy.
- Advised a financial institution in its bid to acquire and project finance an open-cycle gas fired power plant, a regasification plant and related gas pipeline and a liquefied petroleum gas terminal in Colombia.
- Advised Goldman, Sachs & Co. as seller of its Colombian mining operations to Murray Energy Corporation. The mining operations consist of two developed surface coal mines, La Francia and El Hatillo, three undeveloped mines, an Atlantic coal port loading facility, interests in an Atlantic railway route, and related assets.
- Advised in the formation of Javelin Global Commodities as a joint venture between former Goldman Sachs commodities executives, Murray Energy Corporation and Uniper Group (formerly E.ON), and related coal marketing arrangements and hedging lines of credit.
- Advised Colombian families in sale of Port of Barranquilla to Southern Cross, a Chilean private equity fund.
- Advised Erdenes Tavan Talgoi, the state-owned Mongolian coal company, in connection with a potential international joint venture and related financing to develop the Tavan Talgoi coal deposit.
- Advised Goldman, Sachs & Co. in the sale of two hydroelectric power plants and five development licenses in Turkey to a local power company.
- Advised Guatemalan agribusiness Central Agroindustrial Guatemalteca in its acquisition of a power station and related solid fuel handling and port assets in Guatemala from U.S. coal producer Teco Energy, in a deal valued at $215 million.
- Advised an affiliate of EG Capital in connection with the sale of Waterpik to MidOcean Partners and coinvestors Vulcan Capital, Northwestern Mutual, and Cheyenne, in a transaction valued in excess of $335 million.
- Advised NuStar Energy LP in connection with the sale of its asphalt operations to private equity firm Lindsay Goldberg.
- Advised Goldman, Sachs & Co. as purchaser of the Colombian coal mining assets (and related port and railway assets) from Vale in a transaction valued at $407 million.
- Advised Goldman, Sachs & Co., in the sale of its equity stake in CBAS Power Holdings, the parent company of various solar power and cogeneration facilities in Colorado, California, and Florida.
- Advised Inka Farma, the largest retail pharmacy chain in Peru in its sale to an affiliate of the Interbank Group.
- Advised Goldman, Sachs & Co. as purchase of the Colombian coal mining assets of Coalcorp Mining Inc., a publicly-listed Canadian company, in a transaction spanning seven jurisdictions and valued over $200 million.
- Advised Alfa Partners Limited and Coban Holdings, Inc. in the disposition by Alfa and Coban’s joint venture partner Royal Ahold of its interest in Central American Retail Holding Company to Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., negotiation of shareholder arrangements between Alfa, Coban, and Wal-Mart and Alfa and Coban’s subsequent disposition of interests in CARHCO to Wal-Mart. Subsequently, advised Alfa and Coban in connection with the sale of their interests in Wal-Mart Centroamerica to Wal-Mart de Mexico in a transaction valued at $2.7 billion.
- Advised EG Capital in its acquisition of Waterpik from Carlyle.
- Advised Compañía Minera Antamina S.A. (Antamina), owner and operator of one of the world's largest copper/zinc mines in Peru, in its refinancing of its $1.32 billion project financing; the refinancing took the form of a $411 million credit facility; in several subsequent and related transactions, advised Antamina in multiple unsecured term and revolving credit facilities.
- Advised EG Capital in connection with an approximately $200 million levered recapitalization of Waterpik.
- Advised Yankees Entertainment and Sports Network in connection with its secured revolving credit facility. In a subsequent transaction, advised YES in connection with the issuance of subordinated notes.
- Advised EG Capital in connection with the acquisition financing for the acquisition of Waterpik which consisted of a first and second lien secured credit facility.
- Advised Caithness Long Island, LLC in connection with a project financing for the greenfield development of a power plant, including negotiation of the EPC contract and the PPA.
- Advised Wynn Las Vegas, LLC, as borrower, in connection with $1.125 billion senior secured credit facility to finance the construction of a hotel and casino in Las Vegas.
- Advised the sponsor of a Colombian power plant in the negotiation of its project financing as a result of a force majeure event.
- Paul Hastings Recognized in Legal 500 Latin America Guide - October 27th, 2021
- AGP Group Announces Long-Term Partnership with BDT Capital Partners - April 23rd, 2021
- Paul Hastings Ranked in Top 3 International Law Firms by Latinvex - March 22nd, 2021
- Paul Hastings Recognized in Legal 500 Latin America Guide - October 21st, 2020
- Sagicor Financial Corporation Completes Business Combination with Alignvest - December 11th, 2019
- EnfraGen to Acquire Two Gas-Fired Power Plants in Colombia - August 19th, 2019
- Alignvest to Acquire Sagicor Financial Corporation Limited for $536 Million - December 4th, 2018
- YPF Completes Sale of 24.99% Stake in YPF Energia Electrica to GE Energy Financial Services - February 28th, 2018
- Quicorp Acquired by InRetail Perú - January 29th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Accelerates Cross-Border Transactional Growth with Addition of M&A Team in New York - March 14th, 2017
Mr. Leung is actively engaged in national and local bar associations as well as in his community, and is involved with a number of not-for-profit organizations. He has served on the Board of Directors of the Asian American Bar Association of New York (AABANY) from 2006 through 2016, and served as President of the AABANY from 2010 to 2011. He currently serves as co-chair of AABANY’s Career Placement Committee and Judiciary Committee.